Need ideas on a cheap run around?

harminder

Need some help..

Only just got married recently and so had to trade in the Audi S3 since a house purchase comes first! sportifs2.gifSAUER0421.GIF

Decided that I would save the cash and buy myself a cheap run around, with ok fuel economy and something that looks respectable!!!

Only problem is that when you have gone from Audi quality, everything else just seems poor!

Now when I say cheap, I mean cheap! Gave myself a budget of around £2.5k with insurance!! shocked.gif

Have been looking all round the place and can find nothing that takes my fancy! I know its only going to be something too and from work but I refuse to buy any old heap! slap.gif

Here are a few cars that take my fancy (prefer something with a sporty theme) to give you an idea:

Peugeot 306 Gti

FTO

Astra Sri

Vectra Sri

Golf Mk3 Gti (8v or 16v)

Come on guys and I know there must be more out there!!

Any ideas welcome....may even go for a diesel! Also, just to let you know I am not a small chap and so anything around a fiesta size will just look out of place! smile.gif169144-ok.gif

I had a blaze yellow GTI6 when I was at university, and it was great car which I loved - I would certainly recommend one. Mind you, build quality wasn't great, but that really didn't bother me at the time.

The Rallye is another one to look out for, it was slightly quicker than the GTI6, as it was stripped out a bit, no ABS, no leather/alcantara etc. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I had a blaze yellow GTI6 when I was at university, and it was great car which I loved - I would certainly recommend one. Mind you, build quality wasn't great, but that really didn't bother me at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep got a feeling the fun factor will make up for the lack of build quality!

grin.gif

How about a Peugeot 406 Coupe? Lovely lines and really nice to drive. You can pick them up cheap these days and will always look classy IMO.

FTO's look pretty naff IMO, one of the guys where I work has one and it looks dung.gif and would definately be a jump off the cliff compared to the S3.

How about something 'fun' like an MX5 or MR2? Good, reliable cars and you'll not lose much money on them either.

My mate sold his one for £1500 earlier this year - I was so tempted to buy it off him but the missus was not keen on the coupe with a baby. Gutted now - I see it most days and they're so lovely. It had done high miles and showed it on some areas (sloppy gearbox, etc) but overall it was a steal at £1500.

How about an MX6? or Nissan 200ZX? They're really nice - quite rare mind.

[ QUOTE ]

MX5 makes perfect sense, get one with a hardtop too. Should be really cheap at this time of year, and shoudn't depreciate. I used to think they were girly, until I drove one, they are fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

here here - missus sold hers a few months back and i really miss it!!! Its mega fun, only lost £500 in 4 years and is reliable as the earth spinning!! Its not remotely girly when you drive one!!! Go take one for a spin - oh and have fun on the roundabouts...... 169144-ok.gif