A Question for RED ROBIN......

martininwillerby

Hi Red.....

After putting the post up about rear parking sensors and you replying telling us about your aftermarket ones ,I went to the stealer and made an inquiry.....

My repile was...Yes there are after market VW Mk5 rear parking sensors kit...£200 plus fitting ,but not for the GTI

something to do with the bumper he said.....

So I asked about none VW type...and the reply was.. Yes you can fit them BUT the wiring loom and any other bits related to the fitting of the sensors WILL BE Void of warranty....

I Will be ringing Scunny VW stealer to get their angle on it....

Can you give me any details of the ones you had fitted....

There are plenty on the web to choose from...

Cheers martin confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

My aftermarket rear sensors were fitted by my VW dealership and I was specifically helped with both the price and arrangements by someone there who I had become very friendly with. I know that some dealers give you the impression that they are your best mate but this guy was a genuine enthusiast and also a bike racer from a family of racers. Extremely tragically, as posted elsewhere, he was involved in a fatal road accident last night and I really do not wish to contact the dealership at this sensitive time. If Stu was still with us I could easily have got you this info tomorrow.

However, I will of course help you all I can. Stu told me that they were "fully approved by VW for aftermarket installation". I was charged £160 including labour but this was a discounted price partly because they were hardwiring my Road Angel in the same session and partly because I said "it doesn't matter when you do the job". Also they had let me down on something and it was a sweetener. I didn't discuss warranty but am totally confident that they have their own warranty, especially as they supplied and fitted them. In any case, I am confident that under common law the product will have its own guarantee.

What you were told about the GTI bumper smells of bull-poo! They were fitted after my Abt rear valance and are totally independent of the "bumper"!

In due course I can find out more specific detail but I'm sure you understand my feelings at this time and my reluctance to speak with them in our shared grief.

Thanks Scott - Appreciated. Definitely one of the good guys....LeMan was about to meet him too. We may be a motley crew of GTI nuts but I am learning that we also are a good and supportive community. In these matters we each have to give ourselves time to grieve and shed a tear and then move on - It's what those who have passed on would want us to do. If nothing else my black pimples will remain black in memory of Stuart Black. I can hear Stu's Scottish accent saying now: "You go on, Robin, and enjoy your GTI to the full!".