Trolley Jack blocks

Scotty

Mmmmmmm, I have a cheapo Machine Mart one, with a fixed diff cup thingy (technical term) Shame about that, been thinking of something similar for a while, I've lined the axle stands with thin rubber (not THAT thin smirk.gif) but the jack just gets a folded rag. Not ideal

• 1 month later...

Thought I’d let you guys know how I got on with my jackpad from protech products in the states. I think this is the type that Scotty was arranging a group buy on as he mentions in this thread (did that happen?), however I bought mine direct from protech a good while back but only just got round to using it!

http://www.protechproducts.net/jackpads.htm

The pad I bought is 1007 – the Side Lift Jackpad for jacking on the pinch weld – i.e. the sill as we would call it. It uses same jacking points that the handbook shows. The jackpad is made from a soft plastic (rubber like) and protects your sill when you jack the car up. For the A4 the protech pad has to be trimmed to clear the plastic sill cover. I thought I’d share the details of the trimming I used:

This shows the pad before trimming

and this after (with dimensions)

This shows the sections that were removed

And this is the block resting on my trolley jack

The pad works well and jacking is easier now I can use the sill jacking points. Hope this might help others 169144-ok.gif

PS - I used a hacksaw to trim the pad.

I bought one of each as i have two different sized jacks. (1006 and 1007)

By the looks fo yours , you may have been better off with the bigger one.

They were not as rubbery as I had expected. They are still quite a hard compound.

I havent used mine yet, but I expect, Id probably have to drive the wheels up onto a piece of wood first to get clearance, or cut them down like you have.

• Like 1

Paul, As far as I could make out the 1006 doesn't have the 'V cut' to go around the sill jacking point. This is why I bought the 1007. I didn't trim the pad to lower the height, I trimmed the pad so that the sill rests in the V and so that the pad clears the plastic sill cover.

If the pad was used without trimming it would:

a) apply pressure to either side of the sill pinch weld, but not the weld itself (as the weld wouldn't reach the bottom of the V).

b) on the outer side it would apply presure to the plastic sill cover by squashing it between the pad and the sill.

Paul - thanks for the info. Maybe I've done it wrong then!!

I think the jack that comes with the car jacks on the weld rather than either side? This is why i trimmed mine as described. My trimming dimensions should have the sides almost touching.

The pad definitely needs trimmed to clear the sill cover though, or you'd be jacking on the cover and it would probably get damaged.

[ QUOTE ]

the weld isnt meant to touch the bottom, from official pictures ive seen.

jackpad1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That's NOT right! blush.gif

I wouldn't put the weight of the car on the thin walls of the sill like that! If you take your car to any garage with a two post ramp the pad will lift the car on the sill seam or weld.

On the A4's with side skirts (like mine) you can only jack on the seam anyway.

TBH I don't see the point of these blocks. A wide rubber saddle pad on your jack is all you need.

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Bub - I guess that is what I have made with my modified jack pad. I couldn't find anywhere selling a rubber saddle pad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Simon - you've got it spot on 169144-ok.gif

I'm sure Draper do the rubber saddles , I've got their catalogue at home, I'll take a look this evening.

BUB beerchug.gif