Possible to retrofit DAB tuner to 2003 A8?

rilot

Hello again, you did indeed find us over here too. 169144-ok.gif

I think to install DAB would require an MMI upgrade first, as older MMI code just won't understand the availability of the DAB tuner, so won't be able to select it or tune it in. If you could somehow get a new MMI, the actual tuner hardware itself should be pretty plug and play, then you need VAG-COM or similar to code the car so it knows it has DAB installed (same kind of process as with a TV tuner retrofit).

Likewise with the graphical parking sensors; an MMI update would be mandatory for starters as it needs to know how to read the sensors and draw the display. However, despite me having had an MMI upgrade to fix some minor bugs recently, I didn't get the new visual parking sensor display, but I did get some small changes to the directory and radio functionality, and a proper pause function for CDs. The fact that I didn't get any improved parking sensor functionality makes me think there's more involved than MMI code; perhaps different sensors or a control module somewhere.

Yup, getting more like looking after a PC than a car these days. One thing I forgot to ask you sooner, do you have a NAME button or the older NET button on your MMI console?

BTW, if you want a list of the bugs I documented to get my MMI upgrade, I can probbaly dig the Word doc out and HTML it for posting here. It has pictures and everything... wink.gif

It's a real shame the plans for some kind of online access were shelved, the directory seems to me a bit of a 'gap filler' as the first one I had was very limited in functionality, but at least after my update I can import entries from by mobile phone's SIM, which increases it's abilities to just above totally useless. ROLLEY~14.GIF

I wonder if you could blag a warranty MMI upgrde, and if that required the directory functionality, if they'd have to change your console for one with the NAME button on?

I'm stunned Audi haven't figured an upgrade subscription package to keep older D3 A8s current with new MMI code; could have been an extra revenue stream as well as keeping older 8s up to date, so reducing the number of variations dealers have to deal with in the service department.

You'd have thought it was a no-brainer wouldn't you.

Happy customers + extra money + commonality of platform

BMW have always updated navigation systems etc when the cars come in for service. Saying that though, Mazda refuse point blank to upgrade the navigation firmware in my RX8. The only way to do it is break the thing and have it replaced under warranty.

Here's another question for you.

My car has the GSM prep but no phone. What is the easiest and cheapest way to get phone functionality in the car? I was thinking of buying a BT car kit but I don't really want any extra guff sitting around in the car. Are there any BT kits that integrate with the MMI and can be controlled via the phone functions on the controller?

There aren't any 3rd party kits that I'm aware of that integrate with MMI.

If you have the GSM phone, I assume you have the cradle and SIM slot in the armrest (or under it?). The handset for these is merely a privacy handset for use inside the car, and you should be able to pick one up from a dealer, vagparts (possibly) or eBay.

If you want to integrate a standard mobile phone, you've got more work to do. The parts for the GSM mobile phone preparation kit are available sometimes on German eBay and could be fitted in place of your GSM phone, but again I'm not sure if your MMI would be able to understand the kit if it was plugged in.