Who's upgrading/changing up to the R32 ?

lagrian

VW golf help  

1. 1. VW golf help

come on Red - be honest!

I spoke to shaun at Select today, and he reckoned that some dealers are quoting December (next year) for their deliveries!

Theirs is arriving in march I think, so will go for a drive for fun. No intention of getting one at all. GTI is more than enough car for me!

Test drive on Friday and if all goes well will order. Seen 3 in the flesh, 2 at dealers and 1 on the road. The blue certainly looks pretty good in my opinion but I thought the black was too subdued. The dealer quoted me a November next year delivery but they will have more come through in the system so could be earlier. However, I could have one as soon as next week if I wanted but not sure the spec and colour is to my liking and of course I need to drive it first.

Yep Snoopy, you caught me out! I have been checking out the R32 forum occasionally....I'm interested in learning more and did think seriously about it but as a result of keeping my mind open and learning more about the R32 I am increasingly happy with my GTI for so many reasons. The new R32 is a great car but the GTI suits me much better.

I can add a another option if its possible ? anyone know how ?

I am in the undecided area , hence why I put the vote up.

I predict most people will be staying with their GTi as it targets the biggest market and caters for most. I know most of last R32 brigade were car enthusiasts to say the least , is this new R32 attracting the same sorts and does is have the same 'R' factor that one would expect form the R line. I am yet to see one in the flesh , test drive yet to be booked so maybe I should just reserve judgement till then.

Someone in the R32 forum has just ordered a fully loaded R32 at £31,100!! I'm not criticising that spend but that's the real-world price rather than what's advertised and promoted. Works the same with our beloved GTI....Basic £20K but who buys a basic? - More like £25K, and then there's the mods! First mod I would have on an R32 would be Milltek exhaust, different alloys, upper section of nose grill.

Totally agree , first for me would be the nose grill just doesn't work and agree with other that the lower fins are just to thin the don't match the butchness of the car.

I am beginnign to think the performance gains just aren't enought to justifiy the spend, I like some of the little tweaks so may just look at adding them to the GTi instead. I will shot by many for this but the smoked lights on the R32 is an essential for the GTi IMO, may sort out your overRed problem on the rear , then you can paint your pimples laugh.gif

whoever thinks of changing from GTI to R32 is definately not paying for the car from his own pocket grin.gif, i beleive the main advantage of the r32 on the GTI is the V6 engine and the 4wd (in case you live in europe).

lets be frank guys, the power that the GTI gives will satisfy any enthusiastic crazy driver like all of us, plus the shape of the GTI is more attractive with no doubts.

you will get used and even bored of the V6 engine after you satisfy your enigne power needs,so you will have nothing else in the R32 to convince you of keeping it long, and then you will start realizing that you should have gone for the GTI which will definately keep it's sexy looks for at least the coming 5 years.

i am living in Dubai, where you can find on the streets hundreds of the latest hot sporty cars, and still i can see tens of people pointing at my GTI , with wide looks and focused eyeballs on the 18" alloys. jump.gif

Due to get the new loaded GTI in Jan.

Seen a nice black registered R32 in Darlington dealers today.

IF i wasn't due to do 25K/yr i might get one BUT CO2 stats are 259. My previous WRX scoob was 245CO2 and real world mpg was 21mpg av and much less if actually pressing the accelerator. The R32s gonna be hellish expensive for high milers.

I'm sure i'll be happy with the GTI after its been to AMD(it feels just a touch lacking in power after the scooby but I'm older and i've grown up now!)

I'm SURE vw will produce a faster V6 just as they did after the poor Guys who bought the v6 4motion which crashed terribly in value when R32 appeared.

The GTI is currently the smart buy.

The verdict on Autoexpress summarises my view:

[ QUOTE ]

This is the fastest Golf VW has ever produced. Combined with a DSG transmission, the smooth V6 delivers fantastic pace, but it's no more exciting than its GTI sibling. If you want ultimate performance, then the R32 won't disappoint, but without a classic badge, it isn't our favourite Golf - it can't beat the GTI for fun and value.

* As with the MkIV Golf, the current version now has two performance models. The GTI is the traditional hot hatch, while the luxurious R32 is more a high-speed cruiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be sticking with the Gti. wink.gif

Agree totally with everything phantom75 says. Having had a Mk4 R32 and lived with the low fuel consumption and the tendency to understeer when pushed, due to that hefty V6. It would be madness to change from a Mk5 GTi and spend an extra £8k. Its surprising how quickly you get used to 240+BHP and then you'd still be wanting.

Best way out of this dilema is a sports Exhaust and a re-map. You should be able to gain 40-50 brake for a maximum of £1500. Who needs 4 wheel drive anyway? grin.gif

The other option is to wait those 4-5 years, save ya pennies and buy a Ferrari 355... jump.gif