Smittens B7 Avant review - Apologies in advance

ian_m

Ok, so today my A3 went in for service so I was looking forward to seeing what i would get as a courtesy car.

I have been looking into the idea of a B7 2.0T S-Line lately so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was going to have a B7 2.0T Avant. Unfortunately it turned out to be an SE smashfreakB.gif

Finished in Dolphin Grey it looked an attractive car apart from the wheels crazy.gif WHY AUDI? Why?

The interior was finished in black cloth with a stripey look to it crazy.gif and parts of the dash trim was a different colour to the others shocked.gif

The service guy showed me out to the car and his first line was " the key buttons dont work so you will have to unlock it manually crazy.gif" apparently this is a common fault on the B7 crazy.gif, this meant that not only did I have to open the door with thekey, I had to put the key in the ignition quickly or the alarm would be set off smashfreakB.gif

On leaving the dealership, I thought I would give it some right foot! OH MY GOD, the wheelspin was APPAULING, those 16" tyres were all over the place! Even the Feckus I drive at work doesnt wheelspin that badly and the Feckus doesnt even have traction control!

The 2.0T seems quite a quick car though ECLIPSe.gif, I took a spirited wink.gif drive up to Wiltshire to see Danksy, we both then went out for a spin in the B7, Nick also found that the SE handled like a dog the_finger.gif I must add that this was whilst driving the car well within its limits, neither of us took it rallying grin.gif!

By 3pm, I couldnt wait for 5pm to arrive so that I could hand the car back!!!

Now this was only the SE spec, therefor it had Suspension made of Jelly and Wheels from a pram, I have no doubt that the Sport and S-Line spec cars handle a lot better!!

All in all I found it to be a HATEFUL car, which made it even nicer to get back into my A3 S-Line, which had been washed and hoovered notworthy.gif

dung.gif616837-B7001%28Medium%29.jpgdung.gif

616837-B7002%28Medium%29.jpg

post-5759-137914334849_thumb.jpg

Oh dear. It doesn't sound good.

What sort of effect do you think s-line suspension, 18" wheels and Quattro would have had? Those 3 items are something that I definitely want on my next A4 so maybe they would be enough to sort the handling out.

Interesting to hear the 2.0T engine get another good review though 169144-ok.gif

I had a B7 2.0T S Line FWD Avant afew weeks ago for acouple of days, and found it very disapointing. I really think the A4 is starting to feel its age. The 2.0T without quattro doesnt handle very well, the one I had was on the standard 17'' wheels.

Also I found the engine gutless and buzzy, but then I am used to diesels.

[ QUOTE ]

Even the Feckus I drive at work doesnt wheelspin that badly and the Feckus doesnt even have traction control!

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair though, the Feckus doesn't have 200hp either!

However I do agree, if I were getting one of these I'd want sport suspension (and seats).

My first Cab was non Sport spec, and Sport suspension on the second one transformed it.

First one did have really nice wheels though, look AS! cool.gif

3_G.jpg

I must admit I liked the look of the car apart from those crappy wheels.

Inside it was no different from a B6.

The handling was a bit ropey, and the ESP was working overtime to try and contain the power.

200bhp is about the limit for a FWD car, I think if i was getting one I'd save up a bit more and get the quattro system, or at least the sports suspension.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Even the Feckus I drive at work doesnt wheelspin that badly and the Feckus doesnt even have traction control!

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair though, the Feckus doesn't have 200hp either!

However I do agree, if I were getting one of these I'd want sport suspension (and seats).

My first Cab was non Sport spec, and Sport suspension on the second one transformed it.

First one did have really nice wheels though, look AS! cool.gif

3_G.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

SAUER0421.GIFSAUER0421.GIF Those wheels are horrible SAUER0421.GIFSAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

The sports suspension would not improve the traction. If anything it would make it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough thats not the case. My (otherwise indentical) sport spec Cabrio with slightly bigger wheels and sport spec seems much less prone to wheelspin as the wheel control is better. I don't get bumps in the road when going uphill in second setting off wheelspin as the wheels bounce about more. Sport spec much more tied down.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What sort of effect do you think s-line suspension, 18" wheels and Quattro would have had?

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine the first two would feck the ride and the third would cure the wheelspin!

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, on mine the ride improved as it was a lot less wallowy and a lot more controlled. It didn't feel harsher as you'd expect, just better planted.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The sports suspension would not improve the traction. If anything it would make it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funnily enough thats not the case. My (otherwise indentical) sport spec Cabrio with slightly bigger wheels and sport spec seems much less prone to wheelspin as the wheel control is better. I don't get bumps in the road when going uphill in second setting off wheelspin as the wheels bounce about more. Sport spec much more tied down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ari, the accepted wisdom as you probably know, is that a softer set up gives better traction. However I do know from the various cabs I have driven, that the standard setup is slightly underdamped for the weight of the car giving rise to the behaviour that you have experienced.