Who actually likes the MK5? Time to own up!!!!

ashleywater

Ok, somebody out there must be as sad as me, the complete cynic, unashamed Mk4 enthuiast (3 key rings and 2 umbrellas, dedication to a cause or what? either that or I have trainspotting to look forward to in retirement) who has been converted, now's your chance, to come clean and admit it in print, TP has taken the first few tentative steps, now I feel I must follow, I like the Mk5 warts and all!!

Well i've "ordered" one ! .... TD was great fun ... Gone for Reflex 5dr and can live with exterior looks. Severe reservations about interior look and quality so have loaded it with toys to try and take my mind off it ! wink.gif

Overall enjoy the drive/handling and can live with the rest of it .... till it starts to rattle ...... which I aint having on a 30k car !!!

Cheers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, somebody out there must be as sad as me, the complete cynic, unashamed Mk4 enthuiast (3 key rings and 2 umbrellas, dedication to a cause or what?....

[/ QUOTE ]

Any chance you want to part with one of the keyrings and umbrella's??? I never got one with mine... frown.gif

On a side note, I hated the look of the MkV when it first came out, then the GTi came and I warmed to it. Then I saw the pics of the new R32 and thought it looked like a right mish mash. However, after seeing it in the metal earlier this week, im warming to it too! Only thing that sticks out in my mind at the moment is the interior - IMHO looks very tacky compared to the MkIV, especially that rubbish aluminium look strip....urrgghh

Got my test drive booked for tomorrow tho, so we'll see if my opnion changes yet again then!

[ QUOTE ]

The interior of the Mk5 is far better than the Mk4....More comfortable seats and better ergonomics and controls interface.

[/ QUOTE ]

if only they used the MkIV plastics in the MkV - but agree about the seats and controls. loads more headroom in the MkV as well.

When the MkV first appeared it didn't really look like a Golf - but I like it now. there, I've said it.

[ QUOTE ]

The interior of the Mk5 is far better than the Mk4....More comfortable seats and better ergonomics and controls interface.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not comparing the MKIV R32 to MKV are we? As I've driven both and have to say the Konig seats are tops, and the postion suits me very well. GTi seats we excelllent tho, but being a short arse I found rear visability poor and couldn't get a good position to see over my shoulder properly.

And I can't stand the indicators in the wing mirrors - gets right on my t*** sportifs2.gif

The MKV GTi has a more up-to-date look about the interior but the plasticy feel wasn't to my liking, plus when tapped it sounds cheap.

Personally, I think the MKV suits a 5dr better than the 4dr and in certain colours, ie Steel Grey I think it looks brilliant, other colours tho do it an injustice, ie pale blues and green frown.gif

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

Red I have to take slight issue about the quality comment.The dash quality and finish in the Mk5 is not a patch on the mk4,and the koenigs in the mk4 are the best seat I have ever sat in, that includes the DFS"`urs for a tenner mate special at home" they also have a far better opening action on the three door than on the new car, your other comments I do agree with.

'I've driven both and have to say the Konig seats are tops'

I have to agree six, sat in a new R32 with the recaro seats a couple of days ago and both me and the misus prefered the Konigs, the recaro's seemed a bit to tight, good for track use but not for every day driving.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very subjective opinion Robin. I totally disagree with this, having had a Mk5 GTI for a couple of days and comparing it to the Mk4 R32. Not necessarily eggs with eggs, but the main complaint I have about the Mk5 is the cheap looking and feeling grey dashboard.

The Mk5 R32 seats are more supportive than the Mk5 GTI ones, but the Mk5 GTI seats are more supportive than the Mk4 GTI seats - not very difficult to achieve!

Do I like the Mk5 R32?

Yes, I do, but only in the two colours I've seen in the flesh - black and DBP.

Would I buy one now?

No, because I'm keeping mine for at least another year. I had one on order five months ago, but cancelled it as soon as I saw the press pics. It has, however, grown on me big time - I used to hate the BMW 5 Series when it first came out, but like it now. Well, in M5 guise anyway... tongue.gif

Will I buy one in a year?

Probably, yes, because by then there will be some tried and tested engine and handling mods on the market to take it beyond 320 bhp without a supercharger.

Does that mean I'm not putting a supercharger on my current ST4 R32?

sekret.gif