Mk5 build qual

AGK512

After 5,250 miles, nothing dramatically noisy or continual. Any rattles tend to come from what is being carried in various pockets - specs in roof's spectacles stowaway for example. When driving I tend to listen to my engine, thanks to my Millteks, and don't have any focus on minor squeaks etc. If I'm pootling in 6th gear over bumpy country lanes I might hear the odd noise but certainly nothing that any other car wouldn't have and nothing to irritate.

Personally, I have no criticism whatsoever of the 'plastics'. As far as I am concerned I prefer the use of modern materials in a latest-state-of-the-art car and really dislike leather seats. The Mk5 R32 and GTI are very practical hot hatches and not luxury limousines. The instrumentation and controls are very well thought out and positioned and this is far more important.

The most important area of build quality is the chassis and engineering and I am told by people very experienced in building and working on cars that the Mk5 Golf still measures up to its German reputation.

After owning a TT for 3 years the GTI is like driving inside a library smile.gif

The TT was full of squeaks and rattles, in the GTI all you hear is the exhaust note 169144-ok.gif

I would say that the quality of the plastics are slightly inferior to say a TT or A4 but the golf interior is hardly in Nissan 350Z territory Flush.gif

Whilst I'm waiting for the GTI arrive I'm tearing in around in my brother's MGTF (which he has replaced with a rather tasty Westfield). I can assure you that anything will seem like an S-class compared to the constant rattling / buzzing / scraping / whistling / knocking that emanates from that car. I live in constant fear that the wheels are going to fall off!!

Roll on some VeeDub sturdiness!!

Just 6,000km so far. Only one rattle which is in the speaker/air vent atop the dash. It comes and goes. Seems to be set off by a bump and then 'self corrects' on a bump a few km down the road.

DSG takes some getting used to, if you are taking up that option, otherwise I reckon the fit and finish is pretty good. No body flex like the previous series A3 and the consequent rattles that stemmed from that.

Enjoy the R32 when she arrives.

Barry, thats from those Cork roads and the rallying you are likely doing on them!

We won't be able to get above 10Kmh in Dublin so will have plenty of time to listen for rattles when we get the GTI.

I am very particular about any type of rattles and I will seek any out and try and sort them. My Volvo S60 has a good few and I ain't happy... one is in my rear shocks and Volvo service spent a day on it and still did not fix it, told me to wait till it got worse!! Warranty was up in May so I am going to take the line that if it takes this long to get worse then problem was there all along and they can cover it.

Anyway, roll on 2006 and our GTI and I will tell ye in fine detail about any rattles.

Paddy

Airvent grill thing the top of the dash but i sorted it by removing it then sticking some furbacked tape to the inner edges.

From previous threads this area is a common problem as seems to be the doors getting rattles.

Other coments also seem to say wind noise from the indicators in the door mirrors.

I too am not impressed with interior plastics but i seem to be a minority here on that one. Maybe its because alot of mk5 GTI owners seem to be ex BMW owners tongue.gifgrin.gif

Red, you are right but the problem with the rear shock is that as I reverve out of driveway first thing in morning the rear wheel "clunks" down the small kerb and it really bugs me then but once I am driving it does not bother me - I am just very aware of rattles and when a new one comes up my wife knows that the long pause has to happen where we focus on where it is coming from..

I have no doubt GTI will have typical good German build quality and should not be an issue.

I talked to my stealer today actually and he said for me to drop in and he will give me an order print out and try to confirm build week - after seeing that one of teh other guys had a 5 door arrive instead of 3 I decided to get written confirmation of order.

Paddy

Mine (3 door) rattles from both doors, driver's side most noticeably. Some days it's worse than others. I wouldn't say it's particularly bad at all, but enough to be noticeable and annnoy, especially because I use the car for my commute every day. Having the stereo on obviously cancels it out, but I don't feel that should be necessary in a £20k+ car, especially one that's done less than 5k miles. I also find that there is a vibration (whether from the speaker itself, or the trim) when the stereo is turned up a bit, or at least when there is some bass in the track

I also get the rattle from the vent on top of the dash

I told the dealer and surprise, surprise, they couldn't find any rattles

Build quality would be my only criticism of the car: perhaps I've been unlucky but judging by the comments on hear, I suspect that on this occasion, VW have cut corners on the trim

The worst rattle I get is from the sunglasses holder in the roof. Am always re-positioning the glasses to stop it. Also the sunroof blind rattles slightly if pushed all the way back? confused.gif

I don't think the intereior trim quality is anywhere near as good as either my old R32 or my wifes MkIV 1.6 Match. ROLLEY~14.GIF

Specs holder in the roof is def the worst and there's not quite enough room to cushion it with a lens cloth. I haven't noticed any rattle from my sunroof blind and it's fully drawn back permanently....I've never closed it.

I think it's important that we differentiate between the quality of build of the interior trim and the rest of the car.

Is the rubber mat in the bottom of your sunglasses holder as my friends wasn't , I noticed after he complained about the rattles.

RE Build Quality - My MkIV 1.6SE sunroof blind rattled ! I agree though its not as good but I don't think its as bad as what people make out. Generally mine has been good and most of the rattles have disappeared over time.

No, but you have just given me a possibly very good idea: You know that open-weave non-slip soft rubbery sheet that you can get (Trinny introduced it to me in black wink.gif )....If you line the specs stowaway with it then it should work as a thin cushioning. I used it to line my CD stowaway to stop the jewel cases slippin' 'n slidin'.