4x4s on Jeremy Vine

sayerbloke

They`ve currently got a poll on the BBC website: "Should 4x4 vehicles be banned from city centres?"

Find it here

And they`re going to be discussing the subject on the show later.

As Clarkson implied on his report a while back though... The Fiat Panda is a 4x4. Should that be banned as well? Some aren't much [if any] bigger than many executive cars and many get similar MPG.

Maybe instead of banning 4x4s, they`d be better at looking at a way of limiting the traffic caused by the school run.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

caused by the school run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this attitude. How are parents supposed to get their kids to school when public transport is shite & their kids will probably get mugged? If people live more than walking distance, then how can they get their kids to school? The traffic caused by the school run is nessesary traffic. Maybe we should look at a way of limiting traffic caused by commuters in exec cars - cos the M25 isn't busy in the morning because of kids.

Nor me - We all walked and/or cycled.

My secondary school meant a 1 mile cycle, 20 minute train ride then 20 minute walk - It was perfectly normal then.

When schools go back, the roads around here become hell.

Can kids suddenly not walk or cycle any more?

Misplaced fear is robbing kids of this vital bit of daily exercise, clogging up our roads (how many school run cars contain ONE child?) and are helping our kids get fat.

People aren't suddenly more dangerous than they were 20 years ago, the media just make it look that way for news space.

This is a hot topic. I get sick of lazy mums clogging our school street up each morning with chelsea tractors, delivering just 1 small kid ! Our school has started that 'walking bus' scheme, which is a great way of chaperoning the kids safely to school. Mine walk too. However, this does not solve the problem for those who lives miles away, or where there is no footpath (bit rural where we are). Public transport is utter sh!te. And who are we to dictate what other people drive ? All TSNers love cars and driving, thats why we are here right ?

[ QUOTE ]

And who are we to dictate what other people drive ? All TSNers love cars and driving, thats why we are here right ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only speak for myself, but my idea of driving for pleasure does not involve headingn for an area with massive congestion and making it worse though.

Guess I went off topic.

I don't care what size Mummys car is, it's the laziness, misplaced fear and complete seizing of our roads.

I can't think of any kids at my school that used to get driven in - Maybe it's because parents are now so choosy about schools and would rather drive miles to X school rather than let their kid walk to a nearby one?

[ QUOTE ]

Guess I went off topic.

I don't care what size Mummys car is, it's the laziness, misplaced fear and complete seizing of our roads.

I can't think of any kids at my school that used to get driven in - Maybe it's because parents are now so choosy about schools and would rather drive miles to X school rather than let their kid walk to a nearby one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I used to walk 2 miles each way every single day, rain or snow. We are lucky that our local schools are pretty good, maybe thats why we get people driving in from other areas to bring their kids to our school. And to agree with Ari's sentiment, driving the kids to school is hellish, but walking (and talking) with them is one of lifes pleasures....

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's because parents are now so choosy about schools and would rather drive miles to X school rather than let their kid walk to a nearby one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps it's because a lot of the 'local' schools have been closed in favour of cramming more kids into the schools which are left.

Incidently - I used to get driven to school - over 200 miles each way (in fact, at one time I used to fly ~3000 miles each way). I went to school at the beginning of term, and came home again at the end of term.

Walking to school is more sociable, talking to other kids and playing as you walk there. Rather then admiring the the back of the front seat, and listening to the local DJ reporting on all the traffic jams. Driving when the schools are off is pure bliss, yet driving during the school run is a nightmare. Moms suddenly stopping in the middle of the road, using no signals and just genearlly looking like thier driving instructor was a Taxi driver.

And why have a Toyota Amazon to carry one kid to school? Is the kid that much of a fattie that it's the only thing that can take it's weight? If it walked then it's health may improve somewhat... ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

caused by the school run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this attitude. How are parents supposed to get their kids to school when public transport is shite & their kids will probably get mugged? If people live more than walking distance, then how can they get their kids to school? The traffic caused by the school run is nessesary traffic. Maybe we should look at a way of limiting traffic caused by commuters in exec cars - cos the M25 isn't busy in the morning because of kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of kids get mugged every day in school let alone going to school. Its called bullying and it will never be stopped.

I suppose the question has to be asked as to 'what is walking distance'? 1 mile, 2 miles 100metres?

I think that of course it is necessary for some to be taken by car but I would imagine at least 50% of car journeys to school are un-necessary.

My daughter walks to school everyday, around a mile away from the house.

However over 50% of the kids live outside the city, so they have a good 6 mile journey each way.

There is public transport into the city and then another bus to the main road, where they can get another bus to go within 500m of the school.

The school is for kids from 8-11 years and there are around 600 pupils there. You can't expect them to get 3 buses every day at that age, simple as that.

I think most people who live within a 10-15 minute walk and have time to walk their kids do so.

What does it matter if they are driving a 4x4 or a big Cabriolet?

[ QUOTE ]

Nor me - We all walked and/or cycled.

My secondary school meant a 1 mile cycle, 20 minute train ride then 20 minute walk - It was perfectly normal then.

When schools go back, the roads around here become hell.

Can kids suddenly not walk or cycle any more?

Misplaced fear is robbing kids of this vital bit of daily exercise, clogging up our roads (how many school run cars contain ONE child?) and are helping our kids get fat.

People aren't suddenly more dangerous than they were 20 years ago, the media just make it look that way for news space.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, totally agree. I used to walk to my junior school with my Mum, meeting my friends on the way. About a 30 min walk. For secondary school we used to get two buses or one bus and a 30 min walk. Never bothered me or my mates, we had a laugh, and I still like walking somewhere now if its within striking distance.

Where I live there isn't a school, so the local kids get collected by a bus at various parts of the road network. All the bus stops are easy to walk to. BUT - every day parents drop their kids off from maybe two streets away, often in bloody X5s or people carriers and clog up the whole road system. smashfreakB.gif

I nearly bought a house near a school once and went back to view it at school chucking out time. I thought I was in a packed out car park rush on a Saturday afternoon. Awful. openfire.gif

I know kids have to get to school, and get there safely, and I don't have any so maybe I would feel differently, but there sure are some lazy parents near me.....and hence lazy kids. frown.gif

Last year I was at someones house and her 13 year old had a mate round. Middle of the afternoon on a Saturday, nice day, and they decided to go to mates house which is 1/2 mile away on quiet residential roads.

Guess how they got there?

Matey pulls out his mobile phone, and from the comfort of the settee taps in a text message to his mum. 10 mins later there is a "beep beep" outside. Matey and friend walk out the front door to the waiting car (in middle of road, perish thew thought she should pull into a space outside 2 doors down), hop in the back and off it went.

I stood there absolutely open mouthed... blush.gif

Honestly, thats how many kids are treated today, it's staggering! (And yes both of them get driven to school about 1 mile away and picked up after, each by their respective mums. One even gets driven around his morning paper round if it is raining!!!!)

gIzzE, I agree with you. I think there is just something even more "f*** you" about doing it in a Toyota Landcruiser or similar.

As if jamming the streets wasn't enough they choose to do it in about the biggest blimmin thing they can find, just for a bit of oneupmanship and "because little Johnny is safer in it". smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If that was my kid they'd have got a text response telling them what to do with that request! slap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my thoughts once I'd regained the powere of speech (honestly, I could not believe my eyes!)

But frequesntly you'll hear parents complaining that all they do is ferry little jonny from place to place. Well buy him a fecking bike then!!!!!

I also think this all relates closely to the whole "lack of respect" thing that is talked about so often on here. Kids are brought up with parents jumping to their tune, driving them where-ever they want to go, letting them watch whatever they want, do whatever they want. Family holidays are taken in places that are basically for the kids, etc etc.

With the world revolving around them is it no wonder that they have no respect for those older than them?

[ QUOTE ]

As if jamming the streets wasn't enough they choose to do it in about the biggest blimmin thing they can find, just for a bit of oneupmanship and "because little Johnny is safer in it". smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which of course they're not if they swerve or hit another 4x4- or the kids run in front of one...

Let's be honest you don't need a Range Rover to take the kids to school- and when I was at school the coolest kid used to arrive in a Vantage, not some jacked up Volvo estate.

[ QUOTE ]

I love hearing that line, and then show them the Euro Ncap results for a Freelander and then Modus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top remark! Last year when a bloke at work had his first son his Mrs made him go out and buy a Freeloader because it was 'safer’.

I pointed out that a Clio had more NCAP stars………………….

BUB coffee.gif

See, now I agree with kids are pampered to death, and because of it they have very little respect, not just for adults but their friends too. And that is just bad parenting.

But I think alot of people buy a 4x4 because they need the space, I have a big A6 estate and with my dog in the back it leaves very little space, of course you don't need that space all the time, but we like to drive down to the South Of France and up to Scotland and when we do we need the room. A 4x4 would be far better for us really.