How an R32 beats a Ferrari 360

oldrascal

This is probably going to be a longer post than normal, so apologies to all in advance. Where to start? Well, look at this list and try and work out what they all have in common:

Corvette C5; BMW Z8; Viper GTS; Audi TT225; Golf Mk4 TDi; BMW M3; Ferrari 355 Spider; Ferrari 360 Modena; Mercedes C32 AMG; Range Rover TD6; Porsche 996 C4S; Mercedes SL500; MG TZ260; Mustang GT.

No? Got you? Well the shameful truth is that this is the complete list of cars that I have bought for my personal use in the past 4 years (I'll ignore the family LandCruiser and the offspring's various Clios etc). Some I kept for a couple of years, some (Audi TT, Ferrari 355, Mustang, MG) I kept for a couple of weeks and bailed out. Notice the Mk 4? That soldiered on as my 'runabout' for 3 years. Never thought about it 'till it went and then missed it badly.

I know, I know....mad and shameful extravagance (well, my dealer loves me) but I earned the right to go through this little lot by dint of hard work and I don't regret it at all. But I recite this strange man's list because it puts me in an extraordinary position to comment objectively upon the R32 and how it compares.

Actually, the ownership of such a selection of metal suffers from the law of diminishing returns (literally in the financial sense). I thought that I had lost the joy of driving and decided to get something smaller, more sensible.

So I tried the Mk5 GTi (nice but dull) and then a Mk5 TDGT which had been chipped to 180 BHP (probably quick but felt dull and lifeless) and then...........ah yes, then, last week, an R32.

Silver, January 2004, 5 door, 19,000 miles and a darling. Bought it on the spot. Took it straight to the local VW dealer for the 6463 upgrade, and then out for a 50 mile thrash through the South Downs.

I am in love. heart.gif This is the most endearing and 'right' car I have ever driven. I actually woke up this morning and invented an excuse to go 40 miles. I am astounded at the packaging, the sound, the tactile 'hewn from the metal' feeling. Amazing.

So, horses for courses, I know......but I am going to keep this good old girl for a very long time. May just find room at the back of the garage for a 1966 big-block, side-piped, Corvette Stingray, though 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

(well, my dealer loves me)

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume we are talking car here.

jump.gif

Anyway, just to play devil's advocate, but did you say that about any of the other cars in your collection after a few days ownership. Surely a 355 which is supposedly one of the best drivers cars out there must of put a smile worth keeping on your face. I know how you feel about the mkIV but I have not had any of the cars you have mentioned to compare it to.

Anyway glad to see your going to keep it.

Actually, for varying periods of time, all of the cars made me grin or they wouldn't have gotten past the test-drive stage. But a short test can't reveal the reality about a car (except in the case of the R32, I am convinced bowdown.gif)

But the 355 made a hell of a lot of noise (Tubi exhausts), created a lot of antagonism in other drivers, and as its later sibling (F360), was ring-tighteningly terrifying at 9/10s).

Some lovely motors there mate and im more than slightly jealous but you are not wrong about the R32. It is fantastic and i adore mine. As for making up excuses to go out for a drive, my wife has just given up on me now and just excepts that 20 miles is the norm to get some loo role !!! grin.gif169144-ok.gif