100.4 MPH on M25

Botang

My brother got caught doing 100.4mph over a measured mile on the M25, its was at 4am so traffic was very quiet.

Any of you that have been caught doing a similar speed please can you give me any ideas what the punishment is likely to be?

He is a very experienced driver thats covers over 70,000 miles a year like myself.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st It's still a znaika.gifNONO3.GIFslap.gif

2nd do a search on speeding and "scooby_simon" over the last couple of years and you'll find all the things I've put up about it.

But summary, if it is his first time and he needs his car for work (and it sounds like he does) then it will probably be a fine (might be a months salary+) and 6 points.

Just do a search and give me a shout if you have questions...

[ QUOTE ]

He is a very experienced driver thats covers over 70,000 miles a year like myself

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's lucky that might count for something..........and the fact it was 4am. I gave it the 'experienced driver with 9 years no claims'.......................... smirk.gif

But who the feck knows?

I got a 56 day ban for 113mph on the Bristol stretch of the M4 sportifs2.gif (11am Tuesady - v light traffic)

HTH

BUB beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I got a 56 day ban for 113mph on the Bristol stretch of the M4 sportifs2.gif (11am Tuesady - v light traffic)

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 50 days for 109 on the A1(M) 5 years ago - lunchtime, very little traffic, nice weather..................

In court (I couldn't plead guilty by post...WTF?), I was very apologetic, emphasized my previous unblemished record etc etc, but basicaly none of this did any good - apparently the maximum possible ban was 56 days, so I felt pretty hard done by.

I couldn't drive home either !!

sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

A ban does involve getting your license re-voked dosen't it?

Meaning you have the pain in the arse of taking your test again or as the law changed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its only if you've passed very recently then you have to retake your test after a ban?

All the best for your brother Botang - I'm sure we'll have a collective TSN fingers crossed for him on the day 169144-ok.gif

no personal experience .......

but I have heard that the M4 in the Thames Valley area, especially Newbury , likely to get minimum 28 day ban + substantial fine + 9 points

100mph seems to be a cut off point.

Some years ago sister-in-law's hubby got pulled up for 90 ish got shown the video, good talking to , and let off ! kids warned not to so a word when he got back into the car !!!

It is very arbitary and no reflection on prevailing conditions .... and yet the do gooders spout on about appropriate for the conditions...... but it ALWAYS seems to be down in speed never the other way.

Wouldn't it have had more effect to have done him for 90mph, fine points etc and I bet he'd have been very careful for some time.

Commiserations to him.

He was driving one of our E-Class mercs, they checked the tyres over but they are only 1 week old.

It seems that the punishment can vary a lot, a friend of mine got caught at 108 and got 6 points and £200 odd fine, but others get up to 56 day ban.

The police car was an unmarked Vectra around the Watford area.

[ QUOTE ]

Most half decent cars nowadays can easily hit 100mph yet the law still tends to see 100mph as a higher charging limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, a car may be able to do easily 100, but honestly, would you be happy doing 100mph in torrental rain and zero visibility?

The problem is, the speed limit has to be set for the lowest common denominator. There are plenty of days in the year where i feel like im going too fast at 60 on a motorway, yet i still get some idiot in a vectra or white van fly past me at 80+

[ QUOTE ]

...the speed limit has to be set for the lowest common denominator...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? And does that mean 70 is safe in thick fog with an inch of snow on the ground?

Why not vary speed limits to match the conditions? Say a 30mph limit when it's foggy, and 100mph at 4am on a clear summer's morning.

I got stopped doing 93.6mph on the A50 on the way to Alton Towers a couple of years ago, the policeman was very polite and almost apologetic. He told me when I was walking to the police car that he had to pull me over and charge me as the car was equiped with a video camera, but that my driving wasn't dangerous in the conditions.

Friend of mine got caught on the A38 near Burton doing 114 went to court with him to drive home he got 40days ban 3 points and 350quid fine i thought it was a bit harsh. Police told him it was when he over took and ambulance on it's way to a call that they radioed the cops, how true no idea!!

[ QUOTE ]

It seems that the punishment can vary a lot, a friend of mine got caught at 108 and got 6 points and £200 odd fine, but others get up to 56 day ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

A ban does involve getting your license re-voked dosen't it?

Meaning you have the pain in the arse of taking your test again or as the law changed?

[/ QUOTE ]

[1] It's a fecking lottery - it really is sportifs2.gif

[2] If the ban is up to 56 days the court endorse it and send it back to you.

If the ban is over 56 days (8 weeks) the licence is revoked and sent back to the DVLA.

You then have to reapply for it.... And guess what?

It'll cost you another £50!!!!! sportifs2.gif

fekr.gif

BUB

Pal of mine got caught in subaru sti doing 135, typical scene of a car coming up fast behind you so hit the gas, then on come the blue lights and yer fecked.

Gave them sob story of just gone through seperation from wife etc etc, police said to him that as it was on camera they had to fine him, so he got a £2k fine, 6 points, but no ban, road being dry and quiet went for him, also 4wd as police said that raised cars handling of road.

IT depends what he has been cautioned with. IF it is just speeding then it shouldnt bee too bad, but they may choose to charge with a Dangerous driving as it was over the 100 (dangerous driving with excessive speed) which is a criminal conviction so carries punishments such as Probation, Community service, Prison, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

IT depends what he has been cautioned with. IF it is just speeding then it shouldnt bee too bad, but they may choose to charge with a Dangerous driving as it was over the 100 (dangerous driving with excessive speed) which is a criminal conviction so carries punishments such as Probation, Community service, Prison, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

EEK2.GIF Makes me glad I was going 7mph slower than I though I was when I got stopped!!