Clicking Aircon motors

considering_a8

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice in an attempt to reduce some clicking aircon motor flaps on a 99 A8 using VAG-COM. It might not be possible but though it worth a try.

Anyway, having got hold of a copy of VAG-COM and cable I plugged it in yesterday and followed the instructions on audiworld.com to read through the measuring blocks on the HVAC module. Two motors/flaps seem to be about 10 units out between “target” and “actual” which sounds like they might be the culprits.

My question is, what is the exact procedure to do an “Adaption” to get the motors to re-calibrate in VAG-COM? I’m a little nervous of wildly pressing button on VAG-COM and messing up the whole HVAC unit and would like some step by step instructions to get the motors to recalibrate themselves.

The good news was that VAG-COM didn’t find any fault codes on the car.

Have you tried posting on the yahoo VAGcom group site or the vagcom forum on this site? Would be interesting to see if it can be done though because as far as I can remember someone else grew realy tired of the noise and had to replace the pots on the blower mech. IIRC that is 169144-ok.gif

From what I can understand the motors get confused as to where the end of the flap's travel is and the click is the motor trying to push the flap beyond it's travel limit.

From what I can work out from the forums at audiworld.com it is possible via VAG-COM to force the motors to recalibrate themselves by running each flap from end to end which can sometimes effect at least a temporary fix. You can also identify which ones are playing up with VAG-COM by comparing the target values with the actual ones. I don't think the motor is horrendously expensive (£60 ish) but getting to it might be awkward.

On another note I got around to fitting a Denison icelink this morning. I didn't want to pull anything major apart so left the cable and ipod in the glovebox. Took about 10 minutes to fit and works very well - if you have an ipod I'd recommend it.