The Dark Art of Re-mapping...

RedRobin

FYI - Stratford VW have a GTI with 240ps as an ex demo.

They say it has a remap and are selling it as an approved vehicle. So for those who live near and are worried about warranties... might be worth a call and a short blast around the block!!!

I presume it must be Stratford upon Avon!

I guess that 240ps = 240bhp....I'm not sure what the correct terms are but most of us seem to use the bhp word. Very unusual to have a demo car which is re-mapped....I wonder who by? oettinger possibly in Germany, or a tuner that the dealer wishes to promote via themselves. I'm gonna check it out and report back here. 169144-ok.gif [i'm not interested in buying!]

[ QUOTE ]

I guess that 240ps = 240bhp....I'm not sure what the correct terms are but most of us seem to use the bhp word. Very unusual to have a demo car which is re-mapped....I wonder who by? oettinger possibly in Germany, or a tuner that the dealer wishes to promote via themselves. I'm gonna check it out and report back here. 169144-ok.gif [i'm not interested in buying!]

[/ QUOTE ]

240 PS is equal to 236.7 BHP. A standard GTI is 200 PS or 197.2 BHP.

VAG seem to quote everything in PS (Pferdestarke). 1 BHP = 1.0139 PS. 169144-ok.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that Dom....I reckon that rounding up figures as bhp is universally acceptable and understood by all. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean rounding the 197.2 up to 200 or rounding it off at 197 which would be correct? Most manufacturers quote in actual BHP, VW dont. I am looking at the R32 brochure right now after my test drive earlier today and it is showing the R32 as 250PS so only 246 BHP. Not sure that it would be acceptable to round that up to 250.

In very general discussion I guess it's not critical if we describe, for example, a 197.2ps car as 200bhp but I can see how we all ought to be more accurate in our descriptions if we can. So, I agree with you that the best practice would be to be more accurate and describe the new R32 as having 246bhp and not 250.

Well yes....We tend to be led by high numbers. 250 sounds more powerful than 246. That's the point - Strictly speaking we shouldn't really be led to believe that a car is more powerful than it really is. Notice though that when insuring the so-called 250bhp car suddenly becomes 246bhp. Also £24,998 sounds a much cheaper/better deal than £25,000. It's the psychology of marketing.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you mean rounding the 197.2 up to 200 or rounding it off at 197 which would be correct? Most manufacturers quote in actual BHP, VW dont. I am looking at the R32 brochure right now after my test drive earlier today and it is showing the R32 as 250PS so only 246 BHP. Not sure that it would be acceptable to round that up to 250.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting to note how many magazines, etc. all "convert" the PS figure directly to BHP, and as you've both pointed out, it's no doubt because it sounds better. It's also important to note that although the GTI is rated at 200PS and the R32 at 250PS, most of them produce more power, especially when run on the right fuel and in the right atmospheric conditions.

None of the German marques use HP or BHP, the all use PS - for obvious reasons.

There is metric BHP, which is the same as PS, where as the BHP we all know and love is British or Imperial BHP!

VAG used to have a relationship with ABT who would provide the body kits and remaps as part of the VAG package. I know they did this for VW and Audi, not sure about Skoda or SEAT.

smile.gif

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting to note how many magazines, etc. all "convert" the PS figure directly to BHP, and as you've both pointed out, it's no doubt because it sounds better. It's also important to note that although the GTI is rated at 200PS and the R32 at 250PS, most of them produce more power, especially when run on the right fuel and in the right atmospheric conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, rag 'em from day one and loosen it right off and it should produce more HP than quoted.

Also, well know in the R32 archives that a stock motor with no mods was putting out 257hp with 10k on the clock, and it was RR'd at the same time as other R32s who were putting out more regular numbers.

Personally, I take HP, PS, BHP figures with a pinch of salt. Afterall, all these numbers are calculated, cos RR's measure wheel HP and then its converted into engine HP.

Plus all the factors that can affect HP are different everywhere you go, ie driving on the motorway is completely different than having you car in a garage, bonnet up and a fan blowing on your engine, so its best to take RR / BHP figures as a guide and not fact.

smile.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm inclined to think that it all gets a bit academic. It's interesting and useful for more 'scientific'/specific discussions and hard factual information but the bottom line is how powerful does the car feel to drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally, its all about the feel of the car, not about how much HP you have. Lost of HP / LBs that all wrong and comes in at the wrong time will be horrible to drive.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Aye, rag 'em from day one and loosen it right off and it should produce more HP than quoted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mean to steer the conversation too far off topic, but this comment really does interest me. I've always tended to believe this as my first car started life as a hire car and for a 1.2 it certainly went some. My current car (1.4 Polo) is certainly faster, but it feels a lot more lethargic, which I've always put down to it having started life in the ownership of a VW main dealer -- it apparently was used as a runaround at their head office.

In any case, since I'll be taking ownership of a brand new GTI in March I'm interested to hear about peoples experiences breaking cars in. Has anyone had any trouble if they've always driven the car "spiritedly", or how about the inverse -- has anyone had trouble even though they always stuck to the manufacturers running guidelines?

Think I might actually post this to the general forum to get a bigger response, but I'll leave that for the morrow... right now I'm struggling to keep my eyes open!

With regard to the Mk5 GTI, it has been said in this forum that our engines are given a good long session before they leave the VW factory. However, the handbook clearly recommends that we run in our new GTI at no more than 75% max power for the first 1,000 miles. Personally I have assumed that anything that the handbook states, is written for justifiable reasons and so I willingly obey (for a change!). VeeDub engines also have the reputation of being tight for the first x-thousand miles and then significantly improving. At only 5,500 miles it is too early to know how my engine is, but again I would say that it's fairly academic if running in gains or loses one or two bhp (surely it couldn't be more).

At the risk of sounding yet again as if I work for Milltek, fitting a performance exhaust system is the quickest and most reliable way of increasing real-world power and, if Turbo-back for the GTI, a good preparation for possible future re-mapping. That Dark Art!

Thrash a diesel from day 1 and it will be a gem. With petrols, run 'em in like you're meant to, then drive it like you stole it.

The 2.0T won't be loose for a good few thousand miles, but anyone that buys a GTI isn't going to drive it like your gran drives her Citroen AX, so either way I think it'll become loose enough as time goes on.

[ QUOTE ]

...anyone that buys a GTI isn't going to drive it like your gran drives her Citroen AX

[/ QUOTE ]

....Plenty of those grans around here but with toy-town Japanese car-vans with 10" wheels! - Lethal! My dad drove a left-hand drive red VeeDub Scirroco until he was nearly 90yo - Scary! There's a local couple in their 40s who have a shiny black (not metallic) Mk5 GTI and they drive it like a granny! They look like scared rabbits every time I come across them and give them an enthusiastic wave! Perhaps the guy thrashes it when he's alone, or perhaps it's she who thrashes it - I hope so! You're right....The GTI is eager and enjoys it....A bit of a loose tart you might say!