New motherboard.

Rustynuts

I just got a new motherboard and processor for the daughters computer, AMD Sempron 2400 and a Foxcon m.board bundle. Taking out a gigabyte m.board and an Athlon xp 1800 chip. What do I need to do to get the new stuff recognised by the rest of the system and up and running, or is it gonna be a full Windows re-install?

Cheers.

Not sure on that one mate. If the processors use the same architecture you should be OK, but I have a feeling they don't. Try installing them without a reinstall, and if it doesn't boot use the windows CD to do a repair using the recovery console/auto recovery. That should replace the bits and bobs you need 169144-ok.gif

Not necessarily Waylander - it all depends on the architecture (or more importantly the HAL). Basically if it's the same architecture (ie Pentium 4 for example) it will work, if not, then after a repair it should work, as it will check the HAL and replace it.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, sorry Rusty.

Done the reinstall, and all seems to be working fine. She's complaining that all her programs have disappeared and nothing works like it did before. For that, read "Everything is working fine and dandy, and it's a lot faster!" but hasn't got the same personal look to the desktop.

Gigabyte motherboard and Athlon XP1800 processor for sale. 169144-ok.gif