To thrash or not to thrash

Neimad

Up until now I've only ever been the second owner of a car, and hence have never had to worry about the "running in" period. Soon, however, I'll be taking ownership of a brand new Mk5 Golf GTI and so I'd like to hear what you all think about breaking cars in.

Personally, I've heard that ignoring the manufacturers reccomendations can lead to engine damage as the components are not properly bedded in, but then I've also heard the exact opposite, in that not giving it some from day dot can mean that piston rings, etc. never seal as well and that it can lead to an underpowered engine, or worse.

So, what are your views?

A good friend of mine bought a brand new Subaru Impreza WRX in late 2003.

He picked the car up and within 15 minutes was doing silly speeds and I mean very silly ... we're talking nearly flat out. (yeah stupid for so many reasons I know).

Anyway, he continued abusing it for the next few weeks when his rear diff nearly siezed and had to be replaced.

The mechanic told him that the early abuse was probably to blame and that there are more things that bed in during the first 1000 miles than just the engine.

May have been a coincidence(sp?), but worth bearing in mind.

BTW ... Good luck with the new car you lucky git grin.gif

When I picked up the QS it had 38 miles on it (probably ragged by dealer!) I took it easyish up to about 750 miles, under 3500 rpm , under 80 on motorways....etc. After that I let it go more, and now its on 2500 miles I don't worry! Obviously always let it warm up fully, drive off boost for a bit before getting home, care for turbo etc. No idea if thats right but it seems to be running well and loosening up nicely. 169144-ok.gif

Enjoy the Golf. grin.gif

I have always been told by VW/V.A.G. training that there is no need to run in V.A.G. engine's and that driving around like a old woman is the worse thing you can do as the Oil control rings and Conpression rings (piston rings) take longer to bed in !

IMO there has to be some sort of run in as i don't like the idear of fresh machined turbo bearing and other surfaces not being run in, I have told anyone how asks me "first 200 mile/10 hour's of running to not thrash it"

But there is the case of the ECU. The V.A.G. ECU's have readness code which is the way of the ECU "getting to know the engine" which the engine has to be pushed to the limits to set

Just thrash it FIREdevil.gif and get it out of your system (it's in warranty)

Company = no running in!

Owner car = TLC for the 1st 500m- sub 4k rpm, no near red line stuff, 2nd 500m- sub 4k rpm but use the box and occasional bursts toward red line.

Next 1000, anything you want but no extend thrashing. After that, do what you will, knowing:-

Tyres

Brakes

Gearbox

Engine

Will have all bedded in nicely, running a car in, isn't just about the engine 169144-ok.gif

I always try my best to follow run-in periods.

On my previous M cars it was always 1200 miles. On the M3's that is very hard - to stay under 4,500 revs for that sort of mileage. On the odd occasion I'd go beyond it, but always within reason.

On the 6 the period recommend was 1,000 miles and I stayed within the recommended limits as much as I could. The difference on the 6 was that it was much easier too much of the masses of torque. However, the engine never feels stressed anyway. Even now it's only done 2,800 miles!

At work we have a car (Golf MK5 GT TDI 4motion) that the master tech's used for traveling to the training, between 3 of them they traveling in the space of a month from brand new put 6000miles on it and the car was given hell day in day out and them car has not had one problem with it, the engine is healthy and loose's no oil which is very uncommon ECLIPSe.gif

The Sunday Times Driving section has an excellent regular feature called "The Knowledge". It covers everything from Bi-Xenon lights to the history of Aston Martin. A few weeks back it had a piece on running in. Perhaps you'd like to check it out:

Sunday Times Running In Article

One interesting thing it says is "Old running-in techniques can actually do more more harm than good since they are too gentle and cause polishing, leaving engines with high oil consumption."

With my Subaru Liberty/Legacy GX AWD, A4Q and the R32 - I was told to start the car and take it gently till all the fluids were properly warmed, then...

Never had an engine issue with any of them. ALL of the mehanics said that you should have some care the first in the first 1500km or so as you are bedding the complete package - gearbox, clutch, AWD etc. Most modern engines are capable of running hard out of the box - but the other bits aren't.

There may be different reason.

They don't want people putting their nice new cars in ditches "Driving-them-like the demo car's" when they have nice new shiny tyres on them....

maybe...

I'll be taking it easy (subject to being told "don't be silly, do a couple of slides around the car park and then go for it") next week when scooby has his new boots fitted....

Last time I bought new tyres, IIRC they said take it easy for 200 miles or so.

We'll see....

The most important thing to remember is to treat it gently when cold. There seems to be some truth in the "thrash it" approach, but only when the engine and oil are warm. Until then, gently does it.

Try to avoid holding the car & engine at one speed for extended periods. Many new owners hold the car at 4000 rpm because that's the limit while running in, but they would be better to change up and sit at 3500 for a while, then back down to 4000, then slow down in top and sit at 3000 etc etc.

The Porsche dealer's advice was just "Be sensible. Don't max it in every gear from cold all the way home". Awww... ECLIPSe.gif