transferring folders from Novell the Windows??

AntW

Okay, bit stumped here, recently implemented (this morning) Windows Server 2003 network and domain replacing the existing Novell Netware domain.

I tried to copy a folder from the Novell network to a share on the Windows network and it fails. Complains about access rights despite the PC I am running from having full admin access to both domains (both of which I am logged into).

Any pointers?? or is it a case of don't go in on Monday smashfreakB.gif

Check the permissions on the Windows share mate - sounds like you only have read-only access.

Admin rights on Windows won't automatically override explciti permissions on the share.

In effect you have permissions on the file structure AS WELL AS permissions on the share.

Mac, the Windows share says it has Full Access, but when trying to create a file in there it says I don't have permission. Obviously its permissions but when I look at the rights for the drive and all its folder it says I have full access, thats the strange thing?

frown.gif

Check the permssions on the file folder then? It'll be a combination of the two that needs to be right.

So, you have FULL ACCESS on the share, you'll also need permissions from the user perspective too?

If that doesn't work - er, maybe one of the techies on here can pitch in grin.gif I now possess the technical skill of a lawnmower.

Have you got limits to the amount of space each user can take up? On Novell, ISTR that user quotas are fairly common, but not so common on Windows. Still, if you're going from one to the other, you may have set them up?

Just a thought.

The more feasible answer is the permissions. Are you sat "direcly" (physically or RDC) on the destination server, or are you going through another PC?

Cheers

Ben