Follow-up and resolution to tailgate warning fault

Soundwave

With the help of some excellent advice from fellow forum members, i have been able to fix the problem (see previous post) without an expensive trip to the stealers.

I un-did (is that a word) the two screws located inside the tailgate panel finger/hand recesses and carefully pulled the whole panel off, revealing the wiper motor assembly and the associated wiring along with the boot locking mechanism and associated wiring.

There was indeed water everywhere which had penetrated the following places: tailgate catch mechanism, two-pin block connector (presumably for the open/close switch), wiper motor assembly and the four-pin block connector next to that.

I unplugged the block-connectors and dried them out with a hair-dryer, and also dried out anything else that was wet including the wiper motor and tailgate catch mechanism.

The cause of the water leak was obvious. The connecting L-piece on the end of the hose had come completely off the connection to the water-squirter. I noticed that when i re-attached it, it was still quite easy to pull it off. The connection is kinda similar to a hose-lock type affair but it didn't seem to be locking on. The reason for this was the black plastic collar/ring which goes round the end of the L-piece seemed to be 180 degrees round the wrong way, so i twisted it round and then 'click' it locked the L-piece to the connector. I then couldn't pull it off. I sort of discovered this by accident really. I was tempted to use glue at first, or even silicon sealant, but after flukily discovering the collar, decided that this was definitely the cause of it coming off so just left it locked in place.

Sorry to go into such detail ices_blah.gif, but if this is such a common problem, this should give people a pretty damn good method for sorting it out!

Cheers for the advice.

ZZZ.gif

• 5 months later...

fekr.gif

PANTS!!!

Humble pie time regarding the silicon sealant...

Yep, the same thing has happened again, and i'm really surprised because when i had it all apart last time, the locking collar was totally loose, and when i locked it back in place, seemed very difficult to get back off again.

Still, there is obviously some kind of design-floor for it to come off so often.

THIS TIME, I'M LOCKING THE COLLAR BACK AND USING EITHER GLUE OR SEALANT TO MAKE SURE! TRUST ME, IT WONT COME OFF AGAIN!!! SAUER0421.GIF