Will you take the Mk4 R year (£845) warranty?

Calm Chris

Mines booked in for year 3 service next week, a few minor warranty issues and MOT.

Is it suicide, not taking up the Mondial warranty offer that is VW's extra year cover?

Mine has had yearly service 7k,11k and 16k miles. Has nothing wrong (minor external blemishes apart)with it and what's the likelyhood that between now and next summer (when she goes) that anything mega would happen to the car?

I'm still not sure if £845 wouldn't just be money for nothing!

If I didn't do it, and with a quality service history and low miles, I would expect VW to FOC a gear box or major engine issue. Am I being deluded? confused.gif

I'm almost certain I won't be taking up an extended warranty at that price if I still have mine in another year's time.

As you say Chris, it would be VERY disappointing if VW didn't pay at least the vast majority of any repair such as a gearbox or something on a standard, low mileage, well looked after car.

I'm assuming VW are the same as other manufacturers in that they operate a matrix system, whereby a percentage of any major repair is paid for by VW UK. From the manufacturers I have knowledge of (my dad was a manager with Ford until he retired, and I have friends in the trade) they would pay something like 90% of a gearbox replacement if you were say 3 months outside warranty, and on normal mileage.

From my own experience I had a totally free engine replacement on a different manufacturer's car 5 months out of warranty and with no traceable service history whatsoever blush.gif as the fault shouldn't have been expected. It did require my dad to pull some strings with the manufacturer, but it was nothing anyone else couldn't do - he didn't know anyone with that company. blush.gif

Don't the AA offer independent warranties now ?

Having said that, my Wife's Sharan has had virtually the entire air-con system replaced over the last year or so (1 yr out of the 3yr warranty) and each time the main dealers gave parts at 50% and labour with a 25% reduction. It probably all came to about £800 mind.

[ QUOTE ]

The rollover question has to be:-

Does anyone have details of alternativ warranty providers that are a) no Disneyland / Mickey Mouse and b) will provide similar cover to Mondial for loads less money?

Wishfull thinking, or does such a 3rd party warranty Co exist confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just taken the Modial for the 3rd year, but mine is on 62k and will be around the 90k @ 3 years.

In your case Chris I dont think it is worth it ?

I did try others [RAC .. Warranty Direct..] but they stalled at 2.5lts or 3.0ltrs on the net and asked me for direct contact to talk it thro' ?

I am mostly worried about the costs related to engine/gearbox/haldex plus ecu/abs/traction control/air con

Once the costs get into 4figs it gets a bit scarey shocked.gifshocked.gif

cheers 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The rollover question has to be:-

Does anyone have details of alternativ warranty providers that are a) no Disneyland / Mickey Mouse and b) will provide similar cover to Mondial for loads less money?

Wishfull thinking, or does such a 3rd party warranty Co exist confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just taken the Modial for the 3rd year, but mine is on 62k and will be around the 90k @ 3 years.

In your case Chris I dont think it is worth it ?

I did try others [RAC .. Warranty Direct..] but they stalled at 2.5lts or 3.0ltrs on the net and asked me for direct contact to talk it thro' ?

I am mostly worried about the costs related to engine/gearbox/haldex plus ecu/abs/traction control/air con

Once the costs get into 4figs it gets a bit scarey shocked.gifshocked.gif

cheers 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is yours an import then?

£845 sure sounds like a lot of money for a warranty, but at the end of the day you are paying for peace of mind - it's just insurance at the end of the day.

Since we'll probably keeping our R32 past 3 years (it's a whisker over 2 now), I've been contemplating what to do when the VW warranty expires. I'd certainly struggle to find a four figure sum for any major repair work. OTOH, £845 is almost that anyway.

I'd certainly shop around to see if a good warranty could be had cheaper anywhere else and then think carefully about how it would affect you (financially) if it did (or did not) have a breakdown which resulted in costly repairs.

Have you tried the dealerships warranty. Our local (supplying) dealers do there own warranties as VW have now had to change all the current ones due to them now being covered by the FSA.

We've just renwed the wifes Polo for another 2 years and it worked out nearly £80 cheaper over that period, plus it included assistance which apparently the new VW ones dont. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've been contatced by RAC offering me a mechanical warranty for £495..apparently covers everything from engine to air conditioning for 'specifically listed components'..although they don't list the components...

...my R has now covered 71k...nothing major has gone wrong, a few tweaks under warranty but nothing else.....

..what to do?..bearing in mind my warranty ran out 11,000 miles ago and i didn't plan on extending the cover....

has anyone got any experience of this?.

pengy.gif

I don't have knowledge of the VW/Mondial situation but I did pay £700 to extend a Jeep warranty by one year.

They refused to pay for the faulty alarm unit to be replaced (£68) and they refused to cover any part of the diff rebuild (£1600)-(they are known for diff problems, entirely the reason I bought the warranty in the first place!).

The warranty was a complete waste of money.

VW took eight weeks to decide whether or not to replace my CD unit under warranty when the car was less than a year old.

They have made any warranty work painfully difficult to achieve.

Why would an insurance-type warranty be any better?

It's a gamble, of course, but I would put £845 into a cash ISA and cross my fingers!

English makes a great and very valid point... 169144-ok.gif

From previous expreience, taking out an extended warranty MAY give peace of mind - but only until something goes wrong and you have to rely on the Warranty you've paid so much for in good faith, only to find that the Warranty provider finds a technical reason not to carry out the repairs!

FIREdevil.gifsportifs2.gifsmashfreakB.gif

A "catch twenty two" I know... but I don't think I'll be tempted! sekret.gif

ices_blah.gif169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I don't have knowledge of the VW/Mondial situation but I did pay £700 to extend a Jeep warranty by one year.

They refused to pay for the faulty alarm unit to be replaced (£68) and they refused to cover any part of the diff rebuild (£1600)-(they are known for diff problems, entirely the reason I bought the warranty in the first place!).

The warranty was a complete waste of money.

VW took eight weeks to decide whether or not to replace my CD unit under warranty when the car was less than a year old.

They have made any warranty work painfully difficult to achieve.

Why would an insurance-type warranty be any better?

It's a gamble, of course, but I would put £845 into a cash ISA and cross my fingers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to reopen an old thread - but the R I am currently considering runs out of VW warranty in the spring - and as I need the car for work, and will probably put a fair bit more miles on it than its current owner, soem form of warranty cover would provide significant peace of mind.

Anyone on here used Warranty Direct?

They have just given me a quote of £450ish for 'gold' cover on an R32 - and the list of things covered seemed pretty good - including all of the 4wd components, and all electrics, apart from the xenons.

Any comments or experiences?