Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :(

mainy

I had a wee coming together with a kerb in a car park yesterday mad.gif I was too busy laughing at this old guy practically standing on his seat to reach the barrier ticket machine (you had to be there laugh.gif) Then CRUNCH

I felt like a right twat smashfreakB.gif

I know that a refurb is out of the question on the 18s because of the diamond cut finish so I have resigned myself to buying a new rim.

Does anyone here know how much they are from VW or are there any more cost effective sources out there ?

TIA

John

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robin

I'm pretty sure, I originally had 17" comps on my TT was well and they had the same finish on them. In the 3 years of ownership and using the TT Forum none of the guys on there had ever found a place to refurb the comps so I'm guessing the same for the 18" Monzas Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So does anyone know what the damage for a new rim would be ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on past experience of VW, don't expect much change out of £350 for an 18" VW supplied alloy!

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh FFS shocked.gif

I bought a set of OEM 18"RSTT alloys and tyres brand new for £1050 from Rochford Tyres a couple of years ago.

Where do VW get their prices from confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So does anyone know what the damage for a new rim would be ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on past experience of VW, don't expect much change out of £350 for an 18" VW supplied alloy!

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh FFS shocked.gif

I bought a set of OEM 18"RSTT alloys and tyres brand new for £1050 from Rochford Tyres a couple of years ago.

Where do VW get their prices from confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

VW want £340 ish plus VAT for an OEM Aristo, wher-as Rochford sell OEM Aristos for £145 -plus VAT.... go figure!

Wait 12 months and Rochford will have OEM 18" in stock.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i've unfortunatly been in the same position - paid £374 inc vat, then another £14 to have the tyre changed over. Look on the brightside, the old alloy makes a nice flowerpot for the garden. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When people say things like that it kind of makes you realise what a bargain the upgrade option is for 18's.

[ QUOTE ]

When people say things like that it kind of makes you realise what a bargain the upgrade option is for 18's.

[/ QUOTE ]

The initial outlay might be a bargain, but as you can see the mid to long term costs are anything but. You really have to take the whole picture in to account.

[ QUOTE ]

Are you absolutely sure that a refurb is out of the question on 18s?

[/ QUOTE ]

What they often do with the finish of normal alloys like the 17s for example is build the scrape / dint mark or what ever etc up with paint to get it level with the surrounding area cut it back then paint the complete wheel so it looks like new.

Of cause with a wheel thats cut to bare alloy and a polished then lac finish you cannot do this.

Only option i know of and they may be others is alloy welding then a recut but it never really look the same as new and total seemless match but can be very close but this is expensive and an expert job.

If you think of it like a bare metal car, normal way on a painted car is you fill a dint then of cause you will always see it until its painted but if the cars bare metal finish rather than painted you can get close by heating it to reduce the dint then welding it then cutting it back then recutting the face. More or less same with wheels.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i've unfortunatly been in the same position - paid £374 inc vat, then another £14 to have the tyre changed over. Look on the brightside, the old alloy makes a nice flowerpot for the garden. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

EEK2.GIF Is this for an 18" Monza ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Im afraid so. If it took much of a hit i'd get the tracking checked too - £20 is a lot less than the £160 to replace a tyre.

Its when i read prices like this for a new tyres, balance and changing im glad i have access to tyre changing/balance equipment and know how to use it and have contacts to get tyres. blush.gif

Mind VW are taking the p... with the price of the wheel. Can you not get it from the makers and cut the middle man out.

I wonder how much the 17" alloys are?

If there also a silly price i think i may keep an eye on the ones that regular turn up on ebay and get myself a spare set. blush.gif