Don't try this at home...

DB6Vantage

Just got back from Germany with the GTi. If I would not have had my winter tyres on I would have pushed harder. Its amazing how much torque this engine has. I was on 6th gear and it just kept going! Sorry about the quality. Phone picture.

621157-27-11-05_1306.jpg

(I did set a warning at 140kmh to avoid heavy fines when the Autobahn is limited to 120kmh. Its quite easy to go over the limit in this car!)

post-11061-137914335386_thumb.jpg

Fair enough Petsy. Next time, when I have my 17's back on and I try to reach the top speed of the car, I will not take a pic to share with you all. However, if you ever feel like picking your nose or scratching your ear, or anything else which involves you to let go of the steering wheel with one hand, think twice 169144-ok.gifECLIPSe.gif

By the way, the GTi is actually a very nice car to drive slowly too. Very relaxing. It is not a nervous car at all. High gears and low speed. Fantastic.

Continental ContiWinterContact TS 810 in 205/55 R16 H.

TCS (Touring Club Suisse, AA or RAC equivalent) winter tyres test strongly recomended these in 205/55 R16 H: (2004 tests)

Bridgestone Blizzack LM55

Conti WinterContact TS810

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2

Pirelli W 210 Sottozero

Uniroyal MS-Plus 55

I got a good deal with the Contis and alu wheels for the winter, thats why I chose them above the others.

AutoMotor un Sport mag did a test for the same tyre size with this years tyre models, and I remeber Dunlop was the highest ranked.

I guess no problems getting 16s to fit? Nice to know smile.gif time to contact some friend in the trade cool.gif

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. It does not snow here like it does were you are of cause but been at one of the highest points in the north of England it can snow here quite hard and be quite deep (like it did this morning infact) and be clear often less than 10 miles down the road. cool.gif

Geoff, I think 205 16 is what would suit the car best for winter tyres. Have a look at the all weather tyres too. Best compromise between cold and warm weather. It will save you from changing wheels every year.

Bulls_eye, who told you I did not run her in? The instruction handbook states somwhere, (im in the airport, otherwise I would quote page number and exact phrase) that for the first 1000kms the engine should only be reved to 3/4 and fast accelerations should be avoided. If you have a look at the pic, you will see I'm doing about 4750rpm and that is after 880kms. I call that running in. Otherwise It would read 6000+rpm ECLIPSe.gif169144-ok.gif

Bulls_eye, who told you I did not run her in? The instruction handbook states somwhere, (im in the airport, otherwise I would quote page number and exact phrase) that for the first 1000kms the engine should only be reved to 3/4 and fast accelerations should be avoided. If you have a look at the pic, you will see I'm doing about 4750rpm and that is after 880kms. I call that running in. Otherwise It would read 6000+rpm ECLIPSe.gif169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m sure the engine will be fine after all it’s your car. My Manual suggests

Up to 1000k Do not drive faster than 3 qtrs of top speed. (top speed less than 150 mph, ¾ should be around 100mph = 160 Kms I think?? . nothing about revs yet)

& it states - Avoid high speeds.

1000k to 1500k a graduated increase to the max engine speed (rpm)

Seriously I was worse than on my 1st drive home. I experimented with ( s) mode on the M40. I put my foot down slightly whilst indicating to pull into out side lane. For a second I thought I was in a episode of battle star galactica when the fighter craft launched out of the exit tube on the mother ship.

The thing I found with the GTI is you are reluctant to take you foot of the accelerator, almost out of fright.

I quite literally thought I had Sh1t my self …. Makes you wonder what the (s) stands for…. Then I remembered I had flicked the heated seats moments before lift off.

Enjoy your car ps I’m jealous of your under seat drawer, is it heated or cooled with air con? It would be a fine place to keep my pasties.

169144-ok.gif