A6 thermal screen and satnav/road angel

Hi. Is anyone able to assist/advise?

I have a new road angel (which worked fine in my previous car) but since obtaining a 2000 model A6 quattro sport it does not pick up a gps signal. Clearly, my car has a "thermal/heat reflective screen" so I have bought and external GPS antannae.....but where the hell do I mount it? I have tried all locations around the screen, to no avail. I am also buying a satnav....but will have the same problems with this also.

Can anyone advise where to mount the additional GPS antannae(s) so I can reliably pick up the GPS signal?

Of course, I could try and route through the bulkhead and position on/near the grill....or wiper blades etc....but what about water ingress or some scrote nicking them?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

For clarity, my car is an A6 TDI 2.5 Quattro Sport

Mike

strange. If i put the gps extender outside of the car (door pillar etc) then it picks it up fine.....then if i transfer it back into the car (lower drivers side screen) it retains the signal.

If i just cold start it with the antennae in the lower right screen then it may pick it up after 20 or 30 mins...or may not.....

Was thinking of just trying to route it through the trim to the parcel shelf. The unit itself is ok...if i stick it on the roof (or wherever externally) its fine.

its useful to know that the Audi doesnt have the heated screen....but is it a heat resistant screen that blocks the GPS/satellite line of sight?

M

This is a problem well known within the A8/S8 fraternity many (but not all) of whose cars have heat reflecting glass in all windows. GPS receivers of all types (satnav/gps camera warners) do not work at all and mobile phone performance is much reduced. My son who posts as NikW is the A8/S8 forum got round the problem with a re-radiating antenna. Basically, this is a gps external antenna (powered) connected to an internal antenna (looks like a small rod thinner than a pencil). This re-transmits the full GPS signal inside the car to any GPS devices you have. If you post a question in the A8/S8forum or send him a PM I am sure he will give you the full details. I think that the "comfort pack" in the A8/S8 cars means this special heat reflecting glass which is coated with a very thin gold film My S8 (fortunately) does not have it so I have no problems (car has factory satnav anyway with external antenna). The problem is not confined to Audis. Many Peugeots/Citroens have the same problem but, usually, only with the windscreen; satnavs work when mounted near the side windowss. I have noticed that the latest French cars do not seem to have the problem - perhaps the manufacturers have got the message that many people now use GPS devices.

Thanks guys

I had to mount the GPS extender in the top of the rear screen. This was not really a problem due to the road angel additional antennae being a few meters in length. However, I am told that the additional GPS antennae for the Navman etc is only a couple of feet in length....so unless I splice a longer length in, the length will not be long enough to reach the rear screen.

There re radiating antennae sounds useful...where do I obtain a decent one?

Regards

M