BMW 130i M Sport

NewNiceMrMe

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Bub - badge blindness?? Go and have a drive in a 130i, and you'll see why they're so good. It made my S3 feel a bit pants when I got back into it after the test drive...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mills I take your point - About the 130i.I'm under NO illusion that it's a fantastic drivers car (in the dry wink.gif) But one car does not make a range. Driving is only one part of the ownership experience and not always at the top of everybodys list.

Maybe I was making a bit of a sweaping statement in some peoples eyes but I think I'm justified.

Lets face it there are people in this world who only look as far as the bonnet badge when buying a car. It's that simple for them. Are you telling me that the next 'Doris' I see driving a 1.gif bought/leased it because of the 'perfectly balanced RWD chassis' Mmmmm...... I don't think so.

Like the guys say each to his own but there are some of us who will never be able to see the 1.gif as anything more than a great piece of marketing by BMW - and fair play to them too.

BUB 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Lets face it there are people in this world who only look as far as the bonnet badge when buying a car. It's that simple for them. Are you telling me that the next 'Doris' I see driving a 1.gif bought/leased it because of the 'perfectly balanced RWD chassis' Mmmmm...... I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very true mate, I hadn't really thought about it like that! Actually, thinking about the 1-series' I've seen about here, most are bog standard models which really do look terrible!

Only the M Sport models look good IMO, and only the 120d (with a remap!) and the 130i would even be worth condidering, any others and you're probably right about the badge snobs! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Credit to ya, for not picking a car solely on looks then!

Hope you enjoy it mate! ECLIPSe.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. smile.gif

I picked my last car mostly on looks. A red Alfa 156 with body kit and sports suspension. She was gorgeous. But when the honeymoon was over she became a bitch to live with - a tendency to bog down in 1st gear, nobody home below 4000 rpm, absolutely unforgiving if you happened to find yourself in the wrong gear, hopeless turning circle, inadequate air conditioner. crazy.gif

I resolved that my next car would be a performer, no matter what it looked like.

OK, the 130 is a bit pudding-faced, but she's a hottie beneath the skin. I'll take the frumpy fraulein over the Italian tease any time.

I agree with comments that the 1 series, in general, is a bit pointless.

[ QUOTE ]

I picked my last wife mostly on looks. A red head with body kit and sports suspenders. She was gorgeous. But when the honeymoon was over she became a bitch to live with - a tendency to bog down in 1st gear, nobody home below 4000 rpm, absolutely unforgiving if you happened to find yourself in the wrong gear, hopeless turning circle, inadequate air conditioner. crazy.gif

I resolved that my next wife would be a performer, no matter what she looked like.

OK, the 130 is a bit pudding-faced, but she's a hottie beneath the skin. I'll take the frumpy fraulein over the Italian tease any time.

I agree with comments that marriage, in general, is a bit pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, we've got an Agony Aunt forum for personal posts. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This is a thread in which the owner of a new 130i M Sport has posted. I just think it's unnecessary and out of order.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to agree with you there fella - the LoJ is for banter - this is the reviews forum, you shouldn't be ripping a members car in the thread he's reviewed it NONO3.GIF

Just to clarify a few facts. The BWM featured on Top Gear was loaded with extras and the price they kept quoting was the price of it fully loaded. The 130i SE has a list price of £24,745 and the 130i M-Sport has a list price of £26,515 making them similar to that of the R32. The price of the R32 can also increase drastically by adding a few options such as DSG but this is the same with any car in this segment.

Having sat in both cars I can also say that rear legroom for the 2 rear passengers in proper seats is almost identical in both cars. Clarkson must have had the seat forward on the Golf to fit in and obviously had it right back in the BMW.

Having not driven either car I can’t say which I would prefer; both look very impressive and I would be very happy with either!

They weren't Scooby. PeterH is entirely right in what he says. It was ClarksonExaggeration at it's very worst yet again.

Earlier today a friend of mine from the BMW Car Club said that BMW GB was considering withdrawing the provision of any cars in future to the programme (he is the contact between the club and BMW itself). That could be bollocks, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was an element of truth to it when you consider the E90 3-series won the 'Ugliest Car of the Year' award too. It's ugly yes - but worse than a Ssangyong Anything? I think not.

The R32 won in Top Gear's opinion, yet the 130i won in EVO's opinion - so I personally think it's down to individual taste. However, EVO don't lie. Clarkson does.

Without knowing the exact specs of both the cars on Top Gear it’s hard to say.

The base spec 5 door R32 is £24,245 and the base spec 130i SE is £24,745 meaning a difference of only £500. Does anyone have a list of what you would need to add to the 130i SE to bring it up to equal spec? This would then make a fairer price comparison and show how accurate Top Gears quoted figures were.

To get the 1 series up to 31k as on Top Gear that’s over 6k worth of options. Just looking at the options list on the BMW “build your car” feature it seems very hard to get the car anywhere near that even when showing very little restraint.

[ QUOTE ]

To get the 1 series up to 31k as on Top Gear that’s over 6k worth of options. Just looking at the options list on the BMW “build your car” feature it seems very hard to get the car anywhere near that even when showing very little restraint.

[/ QUOTE ]

That bit isn't quite true. You can get one to £33k. shocked.gif