Mitsi 3000GT

sayerbloke

Yeah. I love the shape of them. It's on the shortlist of potential next cars, certainly.

Just depends how insurance quotes go. Most insurers aren't keen on giving a price online. Helps if you get a British one though it seems smile.gif

I've been having a quick look around the GTO Owners Club website for any info/advice.

Personally I'd go for a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (Z32) if you're in the market for that sort of thing. Similar purchase price and running costs with better performance and handling.

As with the Mitsi you'll pay a lot less to insure a UK car.

Take a look at its entry in Evo's The Knowledge, then find the one for the 3000GT/GTO...

Err, yes, I do own one (six years and counting)! ROLLEY~14.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I'd go for a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo (Z32) if you're in the market for that sort of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Hadn't considered one of those... partly because I'm not so keen on the way they look, but also because I had a feeling they'd rape me on the insurance [but I just tried a quote on one and it came back fairly reasonably].

I'll look into those a bit more, I think.

[ QUOTE ]

...not all that fun to drive...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've driven a 3000GT N/A a couple of years back, but it wasn't on a particularly demanding road so I'm not sure how much fun they are to drive [though I've heard they aren't the most involving of cars, too].

[ QUOTE ]

Nissan 200SX for me please instead ....

[/ QUOTE ]

The S14b [1997 onwards] is a good looking car. They look quite evil which I like in a car... but insurance on them is insane. It's slower than my car, arguably less desirable and I can't imagine it costing any more to repair, yet they want over 50% more per year to insure one! I can insure a Ferrari 348 for less!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Nissan 200SX for me please instead ....

[/ QUOTE ]

The S14b [1997 onwards] is a good looking car. They look quite evil which I like in a car... but insurance on them is insane. It's slower than my car, arguably less desirable and I can't imagine it costing any more to repair, yet they want over 50% more per year to insure one! I can insure a Ferrari 348 for less!

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know that ! I'm 30+ so insurance is not a big deal anyway.

The 300ZX is much better than the Mitsu,and much better looking IMO.

The 3000 just looks too American for my liking.

Here's another idea!

Sit tight,and wait for the price of early NSX's to drop further.Far better in all respects than any of the other's mentioned. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Here's another idea!

Sit tight,and wait for the price of early NSX's to drop further.Far better in all respects than any of the other's mentioned. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit, I was stunned when I saw how low they are getting.

But if it's a waiting game, there's another car I've got my eye on... sekret.gif

All U.K. spec cars (3000GT) are 4wd & 4ws. Imports are available with both although most Jap imports (and later models with faelited bumpers) are 4ws.

3000GT/GTO's are good cars although they can be a bit prone to neglect as far as servicing goes. Spark plugs and timing belts seem to frighten most mechanics. No special tools are needed and both jobs are well within the scope of the DIY mechanic (if a little time consuming). Check for noisy gearboxes as new ones are £10,000!(No, really!)

Although given the choice I'd go for the 300zx. Looks more aggressive and easier to work on. Be aware though most imports lack turbochargers or leather seats. 4ws is pretty prone to siezing too. It doesn't really move much when it is working and to be truthful, few would notice the difference between it working and it not.