my mums corsa

snez22

[ QUOTE ]

my mum has a courtesy car. a vauxhall corsa. i took it for a spin on sunday and it was ace. kicked the crap out of it. backache is killing me though. duff seats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that, I used to have a Corsa, and even driving 300+ miles frm Tunbridge Wells to see my family in Cornwall I never had any back problems.

I'm 6' 2", and have suffered from back problems in the past, so I was impressed with the seats - Maybe they've changed them in the recent models (mine was a 1993 1.5 TD)

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

would i be out of order when i say that around town it was more fun and manic than my a3. i think it's because i was revving the crap out of it. was much fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right! I basically use hire cars every 2-3 weeks and just love to see what car I'm going to thrash for a few days. here's my favorites;

Omega - 3.2 V6, nice cruiser at around 120mph and I loved the little sport button on the auto shift! The car made me feel like a copper, with people slowing and pulling over grin.gif

Stilo - Reved right round to 7500rpm!! Found the seats uncomfartbale.

Focus - 1.8 Vtec and so so underpowered, I hated it!

C5 - Up and down, and up and down.... Great fun playing with the suspension settings, slam it to the ground or raise it to the roof!

Astra - Nasty interior, but this was one of the 150 variants, so it had a bit of go....for an Astra.

Astra estate - uuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhh no go no nothing!! 1.6 piece of junk IIRC.

Saab Turbo - So much lag on the turbo, nothing and then a kick in the backside. Impressed by the finsihing...nice car.

323 Ci - Oh boy did I enjoy having this sideways all of the time, and did I get some looks when driving it. Only really a small step up from my 318ti.

A-Class - Great build and a fun car.

Ford F150 - Texas here we come! Unfortunately although I booked it i couldn't drive it due to my mere 23 years of life, well that's what they said, but I just had to have a go...so I did, and the whole experience was fantsatic.

Not to mention Passats, Golfs, a mini, blah blah blah...and so may more.

I learnt from my mistakes and always ensure that the car is at least golf size

[ QUOTE ]

sometimes i didn't even lift of the gas to change gear. power shifting. strong car i tell ya. bounces off kerbs nicely too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another good thing to try is clutchless gearshifting. This can be done without crunching or damage but you have to get it just right. Basically lift the accelerator till you are on an even position (ie not accelerating or decelerating) so there is no drive load on the transmission and the gear lever will just slot easily into neutral. Then if changing up you need to drop the the revs to match the next gear (so say your car does 3,000rpm at 50mph in third and you are changing from second to third whilst doing 50mph then you need to dial 3,000rpm and hold it steady so no load) and it'll slot straight in. Same changing down except you need to increase the revs to match the lower gear speed and again it'll just pop in, no fuss. Obviously if you get it wrong it gets a bit grindy, hence you need to practice on a hire/courtesy car! grin.gif

You have to be fairly positive with the gear lever, but not forceful. When the revs match it'll slot in without force. Get this right and you can change up and down through the box without ever using the clutch at all.

I learned to do this many years ago when the clutch cable snapped on my aged Vauxhall Viva late one night miles from home. I drove it all the way home using all the gears no probs (once I'd got the hang of it).

Oh, one thing though, should this ever happen to you. If you need to stop then you can of course select neutral, but once stationary you'll never get it back into gear as of course you cannot match engine speed with road speed as there is no road speed (so engine speed would need to be 0).

Two ways round this. If you are on a slope you can coast till the car is doing a road speed that matches tichover in first, then slot in and you're off. On the flat however you have to be a bit brutal. I found in the trusty rusty Viva that you could stop in first gear and the car would stall as you halted (exactly as if you stopped without pressing down on the clutch pedal to disengage the clutch, which is of course exactly what is happening). The when the lights changed you had to turn the key to start the engine. The car would lurch off on the starter motor (which is turning over the engine and therefore pushing the whole car along) until it picked up enough speed for the engine to fire and run, and you're away! Not recommended but it got me home.

But the clutchless gearchanging thing is great fun and good for improving your driving skills (because if you use this method whilst using the clutch you'll reduce clutch wear as the clutch isn't engaging both sides at different speeds).

Give it a go next time you are in someone elses car (but not mine!!! grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

A-Class - Great build and a fun car

[/ QUOTE ]

How you work that out ??

I bought one of those new and it lasted 3 months.

Shocking build, crap quality materials, bloody awful seats, gutless as hell and drunk petrol. fuck_scott.gif

There would be a symphony of creaking plastic as the sun came out and warmed the plastics & another symphony as the sun went in and the interior cooled down sportifs2.gif

It looks fantastic, but is clearly a case of style over content.

Still like it though smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

A-Class - Great build and a fun car

[/ QUOTE ]

How you work that out ??

I bought one of those new and it lasted 3 months.

Shocking build, crap quality materials, bloody awful seats, gutless as hell and drunk petrol. fuck_scott.gif

There would be a symphony of creaking plastic as the sun came out and warmed the plastics & another symphony as the sun went in and the interior cooled down sportifs2.gif

It looks fantastic, but is clearly a case of style over content.

Still like it though smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The one I had didn't seem to have any creeks or build problems that I noticed, and if compared to another similar sized car it is extremely good. I didn't really have a chance to find the seats uncomfortable because I only used it for 2 days and that was only a couple of hours a day. You're right it was gutless, but for motorway cruising it's fine. I enjoyed driving it down some twisty backroads though.