Steering Rack Victim

Just heard from my dealer who has had my car for 3 days to sort out numberous rattles etc. that I have just been added to the list of people who need a new steering rack sportifs2.gif

Due to be done at the end of August. I will know more when I pick the car up later tonight. I want to make 100% sure that the replacement is the correct final unit.

In a way I am releved that it has been diagnosed now and not waited until the warranty has expired. I am quite surprised too as the noise has been quite intermittant, although the steering does feel slightly 'odd' turning right at low speed.

They reckon that the other odd howling/bearing type noise is tyres and I will need to take it up with Audi if I want some form of compensation/goodwill payment. Why fit tyres tyres that are going to cause this problem.

Not bad for a car that has only done just over 2,000 miles.

I can't believe how many times this car has gone into the Dealer to have warranty work done . I bought the car on the fact that according to all the mags, Audi's have bomb-proof build quality NONO3.GIF

This is my first and LAST Audi.

Having said all the above I do like the car, but I am no where near 'falling' for it confused.gif yet .....

[ QUOTE ]

They reckon that the other odd howling/bearing type noise is tyres and I will need to take it up with Audi if I want some form of compensation/goodwill payment. Why fit tyres tyres that are going to cause this problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's tyres why did the car not do make the noise initially?

Also, how come you can hear it at 10mph. No way you'd hear tyres at that speed.

Ask them to take you out in another car with the same tyres and demonstrate that it makes exactly the same noise. Sounds like a cop out to me! NONO3.GIF

They were going to put on a another set of wheels and tyres from another car to try this out , but the car was "unavailable"

They say that it has come on after a period of time because, the tyres have "bedded in" and softened. It comes from the drivers side most because, "it's the heaviest side of the car" smashfreakB.gif

But...... in their defence I have to say that I recently drove one of our Reps new Lagunas which has the same tyres and I think I could hear a similar noise, but nowhere near as bad as mine confused.gifconfused.gif

They do seem to be very certain on their diagnosis and said that they have a lot of touble with A8's and tyres noise. Tyre noise I accept, but what I have is just odd confused.gif

PS what a lovely smooth and comfortable car the new Laguna is laugh.gif

Hampshire Cruiser....what dealer did u take your car to ??? I had/have got suspension/steering problems on my A4. My car has been back to Portsmouth Audi quite a few times about this problem, and can they fix it...NO, they havnt got a clue what is wrong with it !! So im taking it to Southampton Audi to see if they can resolve it.....if not i just have to assume that all audi dealers are incompetent !! mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

It comes from the drivers side most because, "it's the heaviest side of the car" smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF!!?? How come the car doesn't lean to the offside when stationary then? Or do they put stiffer springs on one side!! yelrotflmao.gif

Tyre noise is generally a result of poor noise insulation. I once had a Honda Prelude VTEC which was just appalling for this. In fact it was this and back ache that meant I got rid of the car after about a year because I found myself dreading long journeys. I did put new tyres on the car whilst I had it (it was second-hand) and the noise whilst possibly slightly better was very little different and didn't change noticably as the new tyres bedded in.

I'm sorry, I still struggle with this explanation, one of the best things about the car is noise suppression and mine is absolutely fine in this regard.

If it helps you I am quite happy to try and organise to meet up and give you a spin in mine so you can compare, although I appreciate you have different tyres on yours (still 16 inch 215's though if I recall correctly?)

Hi Berti

I use Southampton Audi (supplying Dealer) and so far they have been pretty good, although it has been back a few times for similar problems they seem very obliging. I will know more when I pick it up later.

Ari

Thanks for that - good idea. I agree, when I first had the car it was totally silent - eerilly so infact confused.gif

I will see what they say later when I pick it up

Well I have just got back from picking up my Cab from the dealers and guess what ........

I thought I would go round the back to see where it was parked as I always like to check it over for any marks etc. before I go and see them, and I found my car backed into a bush rocketwhore.gif

I was bloody furious to say the least and that was before I checked out the damaged that has been caused.

Scratches on the top and side of the nearside rear quarter panel and massive scratches to the facing edge of the boot lid rocketwhore.gifrocketwhore.gif

Went in to see the recptionist who basically didn't seem to care less, until I started jumping up and down. Then she said that it would be investigated right way.

She went and saw the car with me and did seem pretty shocked the way the car was parked and the way it had been rammed into the bush. She held the branches off the car whilst I pulled it forward so we could check out the extent of the damage. This was in full view of the "Technicians" in the workshop, who looked a bit worried - GOOD they better be.

And to top it all it seems that despite their guanrantees that this will be the last and FINAL fix, half the stuff wasn't done and will need ANOTHER bloody visit.

Oh and of course there is the litlte job of having a new steering rack fitted rocketwhore.gifrocketwhore.gif

I am alledgely going to get a call from them "first thing" tomorrow explaining what went on and what they are going to do about my damage.

So Berti - I now wouldn't recommend Southampton Audi and if anyone is buying a Black Cab Sport from them, check out the bootlid, because there was one on Trade Plates rammed into the same bushes as mine.

Just as I start to like the car again , this happens and I feel like getting rid of it confused.gif

Oh [censored], that's terrible!! EEK2.GIF

How old is the car now? If they've damaged a virtually brand new car I'd be tempted to demand a new one! You don't spend all that money to own a damage repaired car, even if it is only light damage.

Bastards! rocketwhore.gif

That is appalling treatment of a customer & his property.

I am lucky not to have had to take any of my cars into dealers on a regular basis - apart from an MGF I had a couple of years ago. They were truly awful.

Anyhow, although I live in Poole, I actually bought my Cab from Martins Audi in Basingstoke. It's had to go back once to get the aircon unit replaced, but I was well impressed with the service & courtesy afforded to me.

They collected the Cab & put it on the back of their covered transporter on the way there and, as I needed it the next day, the salesman drove it down to me himself.

During this time I had the chance to test out the new A3 as a courtesy car for 24 hours (which was OK wink.gif)

Anyhow, on cuurent experience, I'd recommend them. Haven't tried Poole yet (haven't needed to) but will let you know how I get on with them . ... unless I use Basingstoke . ...

Bad luck with Southampton, HCUK...

Mine's in with West London Audi today... as well as the shakes and wobbles, the steering was getting very vague plus there was a distinct lack of torque (very noticeable compared to how the TDI normally goes at 2000 rpm). Presumably all inter-related... let's see what they do.

I have a new A2 on loan as well... 2.0 FSi. How similar is this to the 1.8T engine in performance ? I've seen it suggested that the one is a replacement for the other and with similar performance - true ?

TonyB

You are very lucky having a good dealer. I thought mine were ok until this latest incident.

As for letting a Salesman drive my car home for me - NO WAY rocketwhore.gifrocketwhore.gif Wouldn't trust them with a bloody 10 foot barge pole. I am now going to stay and watch what they do the next time it goes in.

GanS

From what your saying about your steering, I reckon you could be getting a new rack too.

As for the 1.8T I have no idea as mine is a 2.4. I also had an A2, but a 1.6FSI and it did go well, but god did it like a drink confused.gif

I have said that when it goes in to have the rack done I want to watch them do it and take the car home as soon as its finished - I don't want to let it out of my sight. I got a rather blank expresions from them mad.gif

I am going to pay a visit later this week when they are closed to see if they have cut down those bloody bushes yet or whether they are still ramming customers cars into them rocketwhore.gif

Generally on the move it feels ok, but at low speed turning the wheel slowly to the right you can feel a strange sort of resistance that isn't there when you do the same turning left.

I have only heard the noise on full lock a couple of times, but I have had it a few times going up multi stories and when turning right when there was a dip involved.

You can not mistake the noise when it happens as its REALLY loud and sends a horrible vibration up through to the steering wheel, which can make you jump.

I also have this other strange noise, which they said yesterday was 100% tyre noise. They were going to put another complete set of wheels and tyres from another car to try and confirm that it was tyres noise, but I was told today that "the steering rack was making so much noise, that it would be pointless"...... sooooooooo maybe it is the rack thats making the noise and not the tyres after all ......

Who knows ............

I get vibration through my rack probably 90% of the time now but then again i've had the problem since December 2002 without any sort of replacement. The current word from Audi UK is that replacement racks are available but the dealers don't have a product code to order them (?????) but they should be able to get the racks by the end of August, I wont hold my breath as this is what I was told in March......

I also get 'tyre noise' but the dealer refuses to agree it's a warranty issue, hopefully when (if) they replace the rack it'll go away

Neil

Neil

What size and make of tyres do you have ?? do they have the word "outside" or a direction arrow on the sidewall anywhere??

Mine are Continental Premium Contact 215/55/16 Z and they have "outside", so they are a directional tyre. I am curious as to whether yours are the same make, although I think yours is a sport confused.gif

Does your noise sounds like a bearing noise that comes in from low speed and gradually gets worse and levels out at about 40MPH. Then can you hear it sort of wind down in a sort of uneven rotational way as you slow down ???

It is something so difficult to describe confused.gifconfused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Does your noise sounds like a bearing noise that comes in from low speed and gradually gets worse and levels out at about 40MPH. Then can you hear it sort of wind down in a sort of uneven rotational way as you slow down ???

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so not tyre noise!! smashfreakB.gif

Tyre noise is just a dull roar at high speeds... znaika.gif

HCUK

My wheels are 17" and the tyre's are Michellin Pilot Premacy's (235/45 17) which are also directional. Anyone with this setup not getting any noise????

To be honest I don't notice mine under about 20 MPH but from there on it's the same whether im doing 40 or 80, this is why I've never thought it was tyre noise. I've described it in the past as a bearing noise but it also sounds like fluid resonating through a pipe and this is where the link to the steering rack comes in, apparently some of the pipe's around the steering on Cab's have been known to be under diameter and *may* be the cause of the groaning noise on full lock as not enough power steering fluid can get into the steering pump meachnism (but I don't know this for 100%, maybe clutching at straws!!) Hopefully when they change the rack this will go also and I'll be all smiles again......

I've decided that when I get back from Hol's Im writing to the dealer and Audi UK giving them 6 weeks to sort the car out (which coincides with the car being a year old) or replace it. Don't know how i'll get on but it first went in on December 9th last year to have this looked at.......

Neil

Neil

Cheers for the info.

This noise is really baffling, but like you I am waiting to see what happens when the new rack is fitted. The dealer has been told not to fit a new one yet until the new "finalised" rack is available, which should be end of August time.

The Dealer and Audi UK are getting a letter from me real soon outlining my utter disgust at their treatment of me and my car during the whole sorry afair.

I will be seeking a substantial Goodwill payment, but fear I have a struggle, although the dealer has said that if it turns out it is the tyres at fault, they will do their best (for what it's worth) to help me get a satisfactory outcome.