Noisy hoods on M3 cab

Mark Lynham

my mate had an M3 convertible on loan for the day last week but i have to say that the hood squeaked and rattled a hell of a lot when the roof was up. I spoke to the dealer who said that this wasn't typical, but thats the answer i would have expected anyway.

Any comments from anyone that has one?

thats encouraging..

The last thing i want is to spend a lot of money on a car that rattles and squeaks more than my S3 grin.gif

A friend of mine has the Audi A4 cabriolet and he doesn't suffer from it. Bit silly for a dealer to put a car out like that really, doesn't really do much of a sales job for the car.

i get mine in 10 days..... cant wait.... so would say i'll check then, but if mine is like that then i aint gonna be a happy chappy UHOH7.GIFsuicide.gif especially as its new! FIREdevil.gif

With regard to the A4 cab check out the a4 forum, i think someone in there is complains about rattles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

One for Lagoo - Just seeing how the roof is doing, in terms of creaks etc?

Looking over at bm3w there do seem to be rather a lot of comments on this subject which would indicate that this is a fairly typical problem.

I've got a cab for the day on wednesday and this really is my big concern with the car because i will be having it for 4 years...

mmmmm, well i've got the car tommorrow for the day (my birthday as well grin.gif) and i'll see how it is then.

I am realistic enough to be expecting some noise, christ, my S3 rattles and squeaks anyway, Its just the level that it gets to as i will have it for 4 years.

The hard top i suppose would be a sensible investment considering the term that i will have the car for - perhaps i'll have to save up for this.

AND i would have gone for the coupe had it worked out cheaper on contract hire, but it worked out at exactly the same as the convertible which was a few thousand pounds more on purchase price, so i thought it rude not to have the more expensive car grin.gif

I'll post my thoughts tommorrow or Thursday.

Me, Paranoid SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Chris you drivin a cab? Did you think that it handled that much worse than the cab?? I havent pushed the cab to its limits but it has still impressed!! beerchug.gif

Nice user title tongue.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oi. Who's pissing around with the titles then?

Shagoo, your post dont make sense mate?! I drive a coupe, have tried the convertible which is a bit heavier and flex's a little in hard cornering IMHO.

They're both great cars though, just prefer the rigidity of a coupe.

PS Happy Birthday Marky-boy!!

Thanks boys beerchug.gif

Turning out to be a v nice birthday as the cab that i have for the day doesn't have a squeeky roof at all, in fact its quieter than the S3! So i think my fears are now put to rest..

the guy from the garage who dropped it off also said that it shouldn't creak but some do from time to time but thats when you take it back to the garage and get it sorted under warranty.

Had the roof down and I suspect a wind deflector may be a good investment - but what a noise from the engine, deep engine tone at low revs and then it just bl00dy screams at ya!!

jump.gif

hang on, why am i sitting at my computer when i have an M3 cab on the drive......

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Chris you drivin a cab? Did you think that it handled that much worse than the cab?? I havent pushed the cab to its limits but it has still impressed!! beerchug.gif

Nice user title tongue.gifwink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oi. Who's pissing around with the titles then?

Shagoo, your post dont make sense mate?! I drive a coupe, have tried the convertible which is a bit heavier and flex's a little in hard cornering IMHO.

They're both great cars though, just prefer the rigidity of a coupe.

PS Happy Birthday Marky-boy!!

[/ QUOTE ]

was i was trying to say was "did you notice the differences between the cab and coupe" which you say you have noticed. I have pushed the cab to a certain extent and am impresses with the ridgidity of the chasis, i have not had the chance to do drive a coupe in such a fashion so cant directly compare the two!

Happy belated birthday mark!! beerchug.gif