decisions decisions

DaveS3

bin thinking for a while now bout changing my car. Test drove the S4 (twice) and love it. I`d buy it just for the exhaust note!! However here`s the prob: Kitted with what i want it comes to 41k plus just recently i`ve been paying an awful lot of attention to Maserati 3200 gt`s and a decent used one is the same bucks! (3.2 V8 Twin turb`/ 370bhp / look the blx) what do u reckon??

The masser without a doubt - you are not far off of a new one for that - they lose a shed load of money in year 1, spent a while chatting to the guys at Loughboro dealer. Sales manager and Porsche Silverstone used to sell them, he says hed go Porsche or Ferrari and leave the massedr well alone.

its funny the cars people compare - for me S4 v 3200GT is not like for like

if I didn't need the 4 door saloon practicality I wouldn't even consider an S4 and would move straight onto 2 door coupes or cabs

I like the Maser but for me it is an old man's/woman's (see quite a few women) car like a Jag XKR

for £40k coupe I'd buy a clean but early 996

Trouble is it'll still then be an S3 when all done, abeit a better one. If he's looking to upgrade then that aint going to do it.

Also all those mods won't be worth anything on resale, if anything they'll devalue the car so dead money really maybe...

[ QUOTE ]

Adam,

Quite agree with you, a few weeks ago some numpty was trying to decide between an old Diablo and a Porsche Boxter? Can you believe that....??? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

touche fekr.gif

least they both have 2 doors and impractical and... oh thats it. In my defence it was more would you buy a great car or a risky dream car comparison rather comapring the cars directly ha.gif

deciding between an S4 and a Maser may be unusual but I dont see there are many options. Maybe my process of elimination is too strict, the choice of the S4 was initially based purely on "the natural audi upgrade" S3-S4 but when u spec it and look at the bucks you think what u can get for the same money. I like the rarity value of the Maser (we never see em down ere) I dont like beemers so M3`s are out the window, 40k would buy a pretty basic 996(?) -i like my toys! Also Porcers are bit too posey for me, a maserati badge is`nt that recognisible (not down here anyway)

I dont really want to upgrade my current car as this is my 2nd S3 and i really want a change, i did get some quotes through my dealer for abt and they were outrageous!! (i realise there are cheaper alternatives) cluck knows!? Flush.gif

Yeah, but to be fair they probably need to be!

Not an easy car to sell I'd guess, not got the latin charisma of a Ferrari, not got the German build quality of a Porsche/BMW M3, not got the price competativeness of a Jag XKR.

You've really really got to want one to buy one, as secondhand prices show...

Not knocking the car, but it just seems whatever it is that you particularly want from a car, someone else does it a bit better.

I remember the days of the Maserati Meraks and stuff, when they were a genuine Ferrari alternative (like Lamborghini). Then in the '80s it all went terribly wrong with those awful Biturbo things and they destroyed the Maserati name and reputation. The cars they are building now are great again, but just somehow not quite there, and the name is no longer regarded as a genuine alternative to Ferrari/Lamborghini sadly.

It's just become a bit of an also-ran company, nearly but not quite. I think the second-hand prices reflect where people really see them, more than an Alfa Romeo, but less than a Ferrari.

Pity really.

Just to make matters worse I`ve been offered 20k by my dealer, purchased last aug for 33k! I`ve lost on all my extras. So what do you guys reckon i`ll get privately?? rs rims,satnav+tv,auto dip mirror,cruise,bose,sunroof,armrest,third rear head rest/belt,cup holder,heated seats....

Classic options value nightmare. This is always the problem with "loading" a car.

Basically, on the used market a £20K car with a £2K stereo isn't a £22K car, its a £20K car with a nice stereo.

Options will make a car more desirable, and possibly worth a bit more, but they won't in any way shape or form reflect the new options cost.

The only way to get value out of options is keep the car and enjoy them. Someone is going to get a bargain when they buy your car. I almost wish I didn't have the cab now, your car with all that kit but at a second-hand price would have absolutely been my dream car when I had my A3 quattro.

Couldn't give up the rag top now though, it was the right choice for me, but someone is going to get all their christmases at once with your car.

[ QUOTE ]

Just to make matters worse I`ve been offered 20k by my dealer, purchased last aug for 33k! I`ve lost on all my extras. So what do you guys reckon i`ll get privately?? rs rims,satnav+tv,auto dip mirror,cruise,bose,sunroof,armrest,third rear head rest/belt,cup holder,heated seats....

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave... we might need to chat, depending on when you want to sell/mileage. Seems like what I may be looking for..I've had one and a bit hooked smlove2.gif and at least all these banana jokes will end tongue.gifgrin.gif