[Audi A3/S3] Vibration at 3000rpm on deceleration - HELP!!

MattyK

I've got a really deep thrummy vibration through the car (S3) on deceleration through 3000rpm.. the dealer has had the car for a whole week and are about to return it to me as they can't find what's wrong.. The noise disappears if you dip the clutch. I've had 4 new tyres fitted/balanced, they've tried a new rear axle on the car but it's still there... it's driving me mad as I really like the car but can't live with something that's clearly not right. I don't want to have to sell it as it would leave me with a very bad Audi experience. Any ideas? Do I have to escalate this directly to Audi UK to get a solution?

Thanks

Mat

Matty, for some reason i started looking for these bulletins but couldnt find the right link, but i did come across this link which is american but neverthe less fairly relevent to ur case. The TT suffered from the same problem and had their flywheels replaced

see HERE

That's really useful, thanks! Although I can't see the details of the service bulletin, it gives me some ammo to go back to the dealer today and tell him to look through his service manuals again..

If there's anyone out there who has had the same experience, I'd really like to get in touch with them before I bite the bullet and buy another BMW.. I really really don't want to have to do that, but their dealers do at least help out when there is a problem..

MK

UPDATE.....

I phoned the Audi UK and asked them to investigate.. between their technical dept and the dealer they now reckon that it's INDUCTION noise, and all S3's do it.. yeah righto!!! that's why it disappears when you dip the clutch.. VORSPRUNG DURCH *@$%^"&@@** !!

Audi for sale. 00W, Imola Yellow, 24000 miles. Nothing wrong with it except "normal" induction noise. Bids please..

grrrrrrrr.....

woa, hang on a minute Matty, i think u failed to disclose some very important crucial information. IMMOLA yellow !! Hmmmm that explains it all, no wonder ur car is making strange noises. ! jump.gif

Anyway, im pretty sure the crap ur dealer and Hq has told is totally unfounded. There is no way the S3 induction can cause a vibration through the vehicle in decelleration !!

By the way Matty where abouts are u located ??

Mine has started doing EXACTLY the same thing mad.gif I'm trying to ignore it but it won't go away. I'm seriously hoping that it is not the flywheel as I am not in warranty, bit my exhaust is a bit noisier than it used to be so I may start with that as the vibration stops as soon as you touch the throttle - this will no doubt make the exhaust change physical position on its' mounts and stop any contact which may cause vibration. The 20% off Millteck at AmD may help this experiment wink.gif

If it does turn out to be the flywheel then THE ****ER WILL BE SOLD as IIRC it may cost upto £2k to fix. No ta.

Let me know how you get on mate,

Good luck

Ben

Mo-S3, I'm in Nottingham...

Thanks for the other posts guys, I'm now wondering if it is the exhaust as it a boomy, thrummy noise. Don't want to have to pay to put a new exhaust on it though, I'm just moving house and that's a right pain in the wallet...

The car's going back to the dealers next week for more experimentation so I'll keep you all informed.

MK

i had problems with my old Saxo (dont laugh!!). There was an annoying knocking coming from the suspension. every time i took it to the dealer they tried fobbing me off with the old 'its a characteristic of the VTR' rubbish. in the end i asked the service manager to come on a test drive with me first in a brand new VTR and then in mine. He then couldn't argue. Still, they failed to find the cause of the problem so i took it to another dealer and they sorted it straight away - twas a bent anti-roll bar!

As for your problem, i'd definately look at the Zorst. make sure the rubber mounts are intact and that its not sitting too close to the body. Also, consider taking it to another dealer for a second opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: Well, the dealers have had the car twice in the last couple of months for a week each time.. and guess what, the culprit was the dual-mass flywheel all along! They changed it as a last resort (after I'd suggested it two months ago after posting on Tyresmoke and before the car even went in for work). It's really transformed the drivability of the car and my confidence in all things Audi.

Thanks for all the comments and advice chaps; this really proves the worth of an internet forum.

Matty

sorry for the delay, been away..

the bill came to about 15 quid, which was the cost of the fuel I had to put into the rather nice new A4 1.8T Sport they gave me for the week.. otherwise all was covered on the (recently expired) warranty.. as I'd reported it before the warranty ran out and they couldn't find it straight away, it was honoured. My faith in Audi has been restored.

Sorry Ben, I've just reviewed the thread and realise now why you were interested in the cost of the job. Unfortunately the dealer didn't tell me, they wouldn't as the labour charge wouldn't have been totted up at that point - they spent far too long faffing about with it. If I was having to get this fixed myself though, firstly I'd ensure it was DEFINITELY the flywheel before shelling out.. let me know yr email address and I'll tell you more details of what the car was doing, you can make your own mind up then.

Matty