Dragway

Domster

Went to York Dragway last weekend. The GTI show.

They were some pretty ace cars. One standard R32 with leather, and Sat Nav. And Awesome GTI's Store car, with 19inch wheels and the miltek and AMD upgrade. Looked ace. Got a 14.8 On the 1/4 mile. Pretty crap, saying it had upgrades. My brother Polo 1.3 got 16.8

.... the_finger.gif

post-1588-137914248987_thumb.jpg

Quote: "Awesome GTI's Store car, with 19inch wheels and the miltek and AMD upgrade. Looked ace. Got a 14.8 On the 1/4 mile. Pretty crap, saying it had upgrades".

Cheers bud - my best run at York was actually 14.56 secs! Results here:- http://yorkdragway.intrica.co.uk/results.pl?date=2003-07-27;car=V9

The weird contraption has a 1.8T engine in the back and ran 14.023 secs.

Last month I recorded a 14.35secs quarter mile and 5.95 secs for the 0 to 60mph (at Bruntingthorpe using Racelogic vBox GPS timing gear) with Performance VW mag.

And it's my car, not Awesome's.

Other than that, peace bro' smlove2.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Quote: "Awesome GTI's Store car, with 19inch wheels and the miltek and AMD upgrade. Looked ace. Got a 14.8 On the 1/4 mile. Pretty crap, saying it had upgrades".

Cheers bud - my best run at York was actually 14.56 secs!

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize, it was 14.6

No offence but your reaction was slow, my brother in his 1.3 Polo came second in the run what you brung (0.501) Just thought if he was driving it, the R32 would of got pretty much 14.1 ish!!

On my 14.56 run my reaction time was 0.545 secs (anything below 0.5 is considered a foul).

However, it's not relevant as the reaction time is NOT included in the time in RWYB racing; the elapsed time starts counting after the car has physically moved and broken a light beam znaika.gif

• 3 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

How does this compare to times that a couple of guys say they got at Santa Pod in standard S3s, of 14.5 secs?

The R32 is meant to be quicker than a standard S3 so how come the times are so close? Different timing gear?

[/ QUOTE ]

To launch these 4wd cars well you need to dial up about 5k rpms and side-step the clutch - perhaps Mick didn't want to be quite so brutal with his new machine! (I don't know this, I'm just guessing)

Also with it being a newish car the engine's probably still a bit tight at the moment, so the times should improve as it loosens up even further.

Dunno, there are so many variables. Maybe they're bulling? Maybe it was a cooler day? Maybe they were more brutal with their starts? In pursuit of a few tenths I DON'T hold the revs at 5k and let go of the clutch to launch. I de-clutch for every gear change maybe they don't. Maybe they're better drivers than me? My best anywhere is 14.35 @ Bruntingthorpe.

(And yes I know this thread has nothing to do with real world driving and the R32's real capabilities, etc, etc).

Aye, it's not bad - for now! Evo mag got 16.3 secs for the 0 to 100 in a stock R32.

The R32's gearing and low-mid range grunt make it a very quick cross-country car but causes too many gear changes to really excel in a straight line sprint, but at the end of the day I'm glad it's that way round.

[ QUOTE ]

I dont have an R32 yet, but I think that dropping the clutch at 5k would be VERY bad. Maybe at 3 or 3500 but 5 grand? not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't want to do it with my car! With a front-wheel drive car you don't need too many revs as the wheels will just spin away with too much power, but apparently because you have so much traction with Awd if you don't have enough revs the engine will get slightly bogged down. It also depends on what the surface you're on is and how much traction is available - the more grip then the worse it is for the transmission. That's the theory anyway!

There are 4motion (Haldex equipped) HPA/HGP twin turbo Beetles and Golfs with up to 500hp (with stock transmission except for an uprated clutch I believe) and apparently the transmission can withstand quite a few launches without breaking something. So it must be quite rugged.

• 3 weeks later...