Central Heating problem doing my head in

AvantSE

Moved into our new house about a month ago (I say 'new' - it's about 2 yrs old). Everything was fine until one night, the central heating didn't come on as usual with the timer.

Lots of twiddling with the controls later, somehow the heating came on... but then wouldn't turn off again. In the end, at 0230 in the morning, I ventured into the garage to switch the boiler off via the mains (the CH, by the way, is oil-fired).

To cut a long story short, we have had 2 halfwits out at a cost of nearly £200, to fix the heating. They have replaced a Siemens valve head, promising that the old one was seized and the new one would cure the problem. It hasn't. Sure, the heating will quite happily come on, but it won't switch off again.

Could anyone on here give me an idea of what the problem is? The thoughts of shelling out yet more money to these completely incompetent individuals makes me shudder. This is Yorkshire after all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Had seem problem at work - Ch would switch on but not off. Was the electronic timer. Disconnected boiler power from timer and fitted a plug. Used a plug-in timer (that happended to be lying around in the stores) in a nearby wall socket until we can be bothered to source a replacement electronic timer.

Cheers, will definitely try and find another one to try. They reckon now that it is the valve itself, and that the CH will have to be drained to replace it.

I was beginning to smell a rat because the valve itself can be opened and closed manually very easily so I could not believe that the valve head was unable to close it. They reckoned that the "spring is not man enough to close it" or some such crap, the guy got really shirty when I started disputing what they had told me.

Chris

Turn the heating on, then turn on the HW- if you hear the valve move (its a 3 position) then that's okay.

The timer / on-off controllers do fail and do have some odd symptoms. Is the timer a round unit with the 24 hour clock and colour on / off pins for hw and ch? They are electro mechanical, last a long time, but tend to freeze up due to dust and 'bits' over the years.

If it's a fully electronic one they seem to fail more frequently and have spurious faults such as going on, but not turning off.

Have you tried re-setting it completely (if electronic there's a little re-set push button the size of a match stick on most makes).

Press it, reset the day and time. Then before entering in the on/ off times for ch and hw, try using it with the slide switch set to manual mode.

In manual mode, it's simply button play for on / off ch and hw.

HW works fine.

The controller is an electronic job, a Siemens RWB9 doncha know wink.gif

I have tried resetting the thing, but to no avail. I might risk £50 quid to change the controller as suggested - I don't fancy the thought of them draining the whole system to change the valve, which I am not convinced is at fault.

Oddly enough, I have just fiddled about with it some more and it "seems" to be working at the moment, though I am not sure it is going off when I turn the thermostat down.

Thanks for everyone's help - I feel confident that the laughably-titled central heating engineers are, indeed, talking out of their hairy arses.

get a danfos 5 series electronic thermostat. then have your boiler on perm and use the danfoss to control the on/off times and temperatures.

the danfos unit is spot on you can set up to 5 temperature settings over 24 hrs mon to fri and a different range for the weekend.

so like 10 deg 12 midnight, then at 6 change to 20 deg, 11 change to 10 deg , 4 change to 15 deg, then 6 pm up to 20 deg. for a average day idea.

btw think my controller is sticking as sometimes when i switch on the ch it doesnt come on, switching it on/off a few times and it fires up. Its ok on the timer mine just on man over ride

It is a couple of years old and the NHBC guarantee only covers structural stuff for 10 yrs apparently.

I have been fiddling again tonight - set the thermostat to about 20degrees. Heating was on, toasty, then it went off at approx. 15-16degC even though it was set higher. This is making me wonder if the thermostat is at fault, or if that is knackered too.

Bloody things.