• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Ok so this year's LM is my first.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif waaaaaahooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

What should I expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Lots of driving fast, fun, sunburn, booze, racing, more booze, bbq's jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How fast will les gendarmeries allow you to drive?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Just don't get caught wink.gif

grin.gif Half seriously, there is a limit - I think from memory if you're caught at more than 50kph over the speedlimit then they can feck you quite badly (750euro fine and an instant ban) - hence try to get another 'non driver' in your group insured on your car - to prevent any stranding incidents 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What should I take?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gifMap/Sat Nav, Beer/Champange Tokens, earplugs, tent, sleeping bag, Euro breakdown cover, greencard for insurance in europe, 2 way radios, beers, champagne - the usual!

[ QUOTE ]

What shouldn't I take?

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Speed camera detectors - the French take a very dim view of Laser/Radar detectors - GPS based ones are legal but I don't fancy my chances trying to explain to the Gendarme that the Laser detector is switched off yelrotflmao.gif

Here's a useful list (from www.beermountain.com)

Passport

Wash Kit

Personal Emergency Toilet Roll

Kitty Money in Euros

More spare champagne money in Euros

Favourite CD’s

I Pod & LM play lists

Wet Weather Gear (in case)

Airbed

Airbed pump

FM Radio & earphones

Light Sleeping Bag

Tartan Travel Blanket

Torch

Suncream

Towel

Sunglasses

Drugs - anti histamine, Nurofen, Alka Seltzer etc

Ear plugs (optional)

Overnight Bag (for ferry, with passport)

Camera

Colour photocopy of driving licence

Light reading material

Mobile phone, call bar lifted

Sense of Humour

Insurance and breakdown documents (if bringing a vehicle)

I went to my LM for my first time last year, and found this site, Beer Mountain , very useful - especially for the list of all the gear you need to take with you...

Didn't see many gendarmes at all - and the cars coming the other way always flashed their lights to warn us! 169144-ok.gif

Oh, and don't forget to bring your own loo paper!

Curse my fingers, they never do what I tell them to... smile.gif

I'm really looking forward to it, but we're having issues over what kit to take (one of my mates is going in an Elise...). So I guess we'll see how much stuff the MKV can take smile.gif

We're considering taking a gas powered fridge, as food will go off very quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions? We don't want to spend much, as we'll probably leave it down there tbh.

DHA> Mate, you're going to have the best Petrolhead month evAr 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

but we're having issues over what kit to take (one of my mates is going in an Elise...). So I guess we'll see how much stuff the MKV can take smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif I wouldn't worry - I did LM last year in my VX220 Turbo - you can really pack in loads of stuff if done carefully. The only prob I had was sunstroke and a lack of air-con jump.gif

hehe, I reckon we should be fine, as most things can be purchased in France (especially booze and food). But we're taking a lot of stuff, like a huge marquee thingy, several tents, a fridge, paddling pool and other random crap which is all going in my car.

Speaking to Melchior he said that you can place tents on the Elise door sills, so that's maybe an idea smile.gif

I suppose I'm just used to UK music festivals, where you have to take everything (food, booze, bbq etc) for the duration of your stay.

Everyone seems to take a paddling pool to Le Mans (or Lemons are we've code named it smile.gif). Great place to store beer or cool down I guess.

How expensive is alcohol on site? We're hoping to travel away from Le Mans to buy most of our booze, as apparently the local supermarkets hike their prices up?

We used the Carrefour that's a mile or so from Eau Rouge. They may well have hiked their prices for the week (I would!) but it's still cheap enough not to be worth venturing further. We bought ALL our food, beer, wine etc at that Carrefour.

If you do store your bottles in your pool, make sure you wipe them before you drink - there's some dirty bastards on those camp sites! EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

If you do store your bottles in your pool, make sure you wipe them before you drink - there's some dirty bastards on those camp sites! EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

EEK2.GIF

p.s. ta for the Carre-Four info

ewww

I think I'll be storing my beer somewhere else then

EEK2.GIF

grin.gif Our paddling pool was great last year - so hot, needed decent cool down area. Though it did take nearly 2 days to fill it from the tap yelrotflmao.gif

grin.gif We arrived a bit late for the supermarket so managed to purchase loads of 1664 from McDonalds jump.gif

Earplugs are a necessity- not for the sound of the cars you understand, but for the inpromptu firework displays and loud rave music at three in the morning... SAUER0421.GIF

Carrfour didn't seem that dear last year, and if you get desperate there's always McD's in the town. Luckily for a Luddite like me everyone speaks English (probably because they mostly ARE English...).

We're probably getting there on Thursday Afternoon this year, is there anything worth seeing then?

hehe, I think if you try then they'll be very friendly towards you and help you.

Case in point, I ordered some pizza using my terrible French accent and the girl behind the counter smiled and spoke to me in English. I apologised for being crap, but she didn't care and I got served very quickly. Now, just as we sat down, two chavettes walked in and literally said "oi, two slices of them"...THe French lady then "forgot" how to speak English and started rapid fire French at them. We'd finished our food (and said merci) before the chavettes even got served 169144-ok.gif