VW GTI V VW GTI

Mwellsgarage

Ok so finally got round to getting a test drive in a mark 5 golf gti but as i went to my dealership they offered me a test drive in the new polo gti. Ok, not really interested in the polo but i did like the way it looked and I accepted the offer of a test drive.

For the sort of money VW ask for the polo (£15k for the basic gti) I was a little disappointed. As a 6n2 polo gti owner I was expecting a little more grunt from the 1.8t engine but it wasn’t there. I know it can easily be tuned and I know that VW didn’t want the polo to invade the golfs market but I still feel it needed a little more power. Aside from the lack of power, I was pleasantly surprised. The interior is very nice, very much like the golf with the interlago seats etc. The dash layout was good and everything was comfortable, the car I drove was a tornado red 5 door and I must say that it was remarkably spacious in the front and back. The exhaust note was also very nice as was the attention that the polo grabbed as I drove through the town centre, everybody looked at it thinking it was a golf then realizing it wasn’t and wondering what it actually was.

The polo gti has not been well publicized and this is reflected in the current lack of demand for them, the dealer said they could get me one pretty much immediately with the spec I wanted, however I feel that I would need another test drive before considering the polo especially when compared with the golf.

I stepped out of the polo and straight into a blue (not sure what colour exactly but it was deep blue) golf gti. I love the mark 5 gti it is an astonishingly good looking car and although I did not immediately like the colour it did grow on me as it was quite discrete and unusual.

The golf is in a totally different class of car to anything I have ever driven and I truly mean that even considering the EVO’S, Porsche 911 turbo and db7 volante that I have had the pleasure of driving. It is honestly that good. Everything about it is exceptional, it is ergonomically brilliant and aesthetically wonderful, I immediately fell in love with it and did not want to give it back to the dealer. The extra power is not obvious as I felt the power creeps up on you, there is no sudden surge of power like on a lot of turbo cars, it has a smoother and better power delivery.

It gains admiring glances from all sorts of people, it is a car that the majority of people love and admire and this is displayed by the fact that drivers, pedestrians and children and everybody else stops and looks at it. The car that I drove was the 3 door variant, not the one that I would have but still it was very satisfying to look at and drive.

The dealer is getting me a DSG golf gti in to drive before I make up my mind and place an order but I am think I will definitely have one. Also I would like to say that unlike some VW dealers my local dealership in south Pembrokeshire was brilliant, they were polite, helpful and were generally clued up on both cars, it was a very good experience and I highly recommend them.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

The golf is in a totally different class of car to anything I have ever driven and I truly mean that even considering the EVO’S, Porsche 911 turbo and db7 volante that I have had the pleasure of driving. It is honestly that good

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh FFS. lol.gif

You do realise that plenty of people on here actually have driven regularly the other cars you mention?

I'm not saying the GTI isn't good, but it's not that good.

I too drive these cars on a regualr basis as my father in law owns a garage and accident repair centre and i can honestly say that i had more fun in the golf than i had in the aston and porsche. Obviously it is circumstantial as i know if i had the porsche round a track i would no doubt have a different opinion but i have only ever driven the porsche and aston around town as i did with the golf and i must say the golf was the better car in those circumstances

Ah, now that makes some sense.

The Golf is better for you. Which fits in with what alot of GTI owners have said. For them it's the best practical combination of all sorts of things.

That doesn't make it a better car than a Porsche or an Aston though. (Actually it probably is better than a DB7 - at least you'll get to where you're going...)

I ordered if for my missus, but it doesn't half shift!! blush.gif

It's programmed to deliver the power earlier than the GTI and it's not as smooth as the GTI's delivery, but it's not harsh in any manner at all. In fact, it feels quicker for it.

True it's 185 compared to 200bhp, but there's not that much in it, and the SEAT tunes well tongue.gif

The interior I feel is either level with the GTI, or better. That wasn't something I expected to write. I am going to do a full write up soon. It's not been unleashed fully yet (only done 100 miles), but it's fecking quick already.

I was GTI or Audi 3.2 also, but neither really offer anything over the Leon, and the equipment supplied as standard just makes the other two look silly. The Seat is a baby Audi.

169144-ok.gif

The Audi 3.2 is amazing, as is the 2.0TQ, but my missus didn't like the Audi looks as much as the Leon. I'll be the first to say the new Leon isn't as masculine as the old shape, but I think it will grow on me. If I order the one with the bodykit, that of course solves it.

There just seem to be too many GTI's about, and the Leon is alone at the moment. The looks I got driving it about and the smiles and nods said it all. New stylish shape and different.

Of course, the Leon FR is out shortly and that's set to look very muscular, so you might want to wait for that. Certainly get a test drive in a 2.0T though. 169144-ok.gif

I have now also been in a Polo GTI was not impressed at all. I liked the SEAT Ibiza 1.8T 150 FR and the more powerful Cupra version with 180 bhp much much better than the polo.

As for the Golf v Leon the leon is nice but if it was me i would wait for the FR version thats coming later this year (I posted a load of photos of it in the Cupra R section a few months back LINK scroll down the page to my posts also checkout UK press release and loads of photos HERE) with the same engine and power as the golf GTI, The FR and cupra are the main sporty models and so i think they would give the golf a better run for there money in the suspension/handling/ride combo than the Sport185 model does at the moment.

Then of cause you could always wait till later still for the Leon Cupra with about 240bhp version of the GTIs engine.

I had a good look at a Leon Sport and the biggest problem is the interior. It feels a step down from a VW in terms of quality and I didn't like the overall style. The centre console isn't particularly attractive imho.

It is good value for money though, but I’d spend the extra on a Golf GTI. Actually, I spent the extra and a little bit more and got something truly special. I’m with you Driftgod!

Everyone's views will differ. I thought the plastics of the 1 series to be quite cheap feeling, but then I never find BMW's nice places to sit, no offence. crazy.gif

I think the GTI isn't as good at the old GTI for build quality but I hate to say it, after being in both the GTI and the new Leon, the Leon felt much nicer. The centre console isn't that bad, and doesn't have that naff finish the GTI goes.

There's too much centre console plastic for my liking. I found the 1 series to be fairly dull inside, even though the outside is more demanding on the eye.

I think I just prefer the way VAG do their cars. crazy.gif

No offence taken!

I wasn't massively impressed by the standard 1 series interior, but ours, with full leather and all the 'M' bits and bobs does feel great.

The biggest problem with the Golf interior is that it feels like you're sitting quite high up and the bottom of the windscreen is a long way away, which makes it feel more like an MPV than a Sports Car.

It feels like you are sitting a lot lower in the 1 series and that coupled with style in the interior and some fantastic Sports Seats makes it feel like you're in a sports car rather than a Hatchback.

Then you press the start button and you definitely think you're in a sports car!!! grin.gif

I have a VAG car for comparison (which I think feels better than an A4 btw) and the BMW isn’t quite as solid feeling e.g. when you open the doors and probably doesn’t have quite the same quality plastics. However, the BMW does feel very well built and remember that there is a difference between perceived quality (nice looking/feeling materials) and real quality!

[ QUOTE ]

and remember that there is a difference between perceived quality (nice looking/feeling materials) and real quality!

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, that's why I chose an Audi, over a BMW tongue.gif

In all seriousness, I find it hard to like BMWs apart from the expensive ones! I wasn't comparing the Leon or Golf to the 130i M, but the normal 1 series.

[ QUOTE ]

I've had to drive a Renault Scenic with this naff feature for the past 5 months. I find it really frustrating and gimmicky. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a new Megane before the 130, which had the keyless entry and start system. So pressing the start button was all we had to do to start the car. Maybe that's why I don't have a problem with start buttons?

I wasn't really commenting on the start button though, just the noise it make when it fires up grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I know, that's why I chose an Audi, over a BMW tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmm, so perceived quality for you then wink.gif

If you class the 130 as one of "the more expensive ones", then I'll let you off grin.gif