Bose Lifestyle system

Ari

Always fancied one of these, it's the one with the little cube speakers and seperate subwoofer, and the slim CD/tuner (which I guess you can hook up to DVD for surround sound.

Anyone experienced one or know anything about them? Being Bose I guess they are expensive, but they ought to be good.

Looks like this:-

pil_ls30b.jpg

Ari,

My friend has a converted warehouse (top floor) apartment that has a simply huge main room. about 40' x 30'!!! He has exposed rafters and beams and has rigged up his lifestyle system around them. Coupled with a motorized 8'x8' projector screen that comes down from one of the beams, he has a pretty fantastic 'cinema' setup!!! He had a B & O system before, but rates his new Bose system as being far superior.

He also drives an M coupe and is going out with my Ex's sister, who is even fitter than my ex. So yes, I hate the bloke!!

If you've got any more specific questions I'll certainly ask him for you.

beerchug.gif

Hopsta and myself got the Bose Lifestyle demo while at AMD. There is a retail outlet at Bicester Villiage.

very impressive. Both nearly come out with a system!

top of the range,multi room, multi source was £4K +

starter in the range was £1500 - £1800 IIRC

Got to agree with Riz here for the money i guess you could get better sounds. However they are convient in their size etc. and the cubes produce some nice treble...however don't rate the sub much. Personally if i had to get one it would only be for my room for stereo/conveniace/looks purposes...had a demo of the 5.1 cinema setup and it was kinda pants for the price. dung.gif

The BOSE home systems certainly are good for the size but personall i dont think they are all that for pound value. I had a set for a while but took them back due to not being overly impressed with them.

People have said that they sound excellent in the beginning and as u get used to them you tend to notice the treble more and more eminating from the cubes.

There are a few reviews on these systems on the net and should definately be read before u hand over ur stolen or hard earned dosh.

For the same price u can get some bad ass large speakers which will sound the dogs danglies. If u dont want the big ones like i me, i went for the KEF eggs which personally i find absolutely brilliant.

Just giving my opinion dats all beerchug.gif

i chose these in the end cos they sounded so much better than the BOSE plus they are a work of art in themselves! They sound great even through a naff amp and the sub can be controlled seperately unlike the bose. You dont need to go for the full system. I got the sub (£300) plus the 2 eggs for £100 each. they might be cheaper now, though.

My mate (gadget freak) had an acoustimass system, and I have to say I didn't like it all. It wasn't too bad if you were seated between the speakers, but get off centre and the sound was all jumbled/muddy.

The HiFi/Home Cinema community tend to be quite polarized in their views on these Bose systems - they either completely love them or totally hate them. I'm in the latter camp.

Like other people, I'd recommend you'd be better spending your money elsewhere. If you want "Lifestyle", try the Linn Classik Movies box. It's very compact and contains a DVD player and 5 channel amp. The version 1 boxes were £1500 new, but you can get them cheaper now if you shop around (although there are very few available). The new version 2 boxes are around £2000. Of course, you'll need speakers too, and those Kef 2005.2 "eggs" would go great. Alternatively, the B&W VM1's are great looking, although the sub apparently lacks bass depth, so the Kef's are rated better.

If that's a little too expensive, the Sony 880 system is meant to be pretty good for £500, although I've heard reports that the quality of the picture from the DVD player leaves room for improvement.

If you want it to look good and you are prepared to pay, then Bose is OK. If you want proper sound quality and definition, Bose is overpriced crap.

The boom and tizz of a sub and minute satellites might sound OK in a car, but at home, it is positively tiring. Go to a proper hifi shop like Sevenoaks and listen to some systems. Decent places even let you borrow the gear (or rather sale or return) so you can try it at home.

The Bose sub is not up to the demands of real home cinema (demo's of the Tannoy 15" sub available at my place!)

PS I just bought a second system for my bedroom, the Denon DM31 with Mission speakers. Absolute bargain for £250 if anyone is looking for a small main decent sounding system. (Pricerunner for latest suppliers, bought mine from QED)

Excellent choice Colin.

I have got the earlier DM30. (just tuner/cd)

cracking little unit with the standard Mission book shelf speakers. Although you can buy some bigger ones.

Replace the Crap speaker cables with some decent stuff.

I had some Rockford Fosgate Stealth Standard 1.5mm 15AWG 170 Strand High Def OFC cable left from a previous car install and it made quite a difference.