Can any IT bods help with this please?

TonyD

Morning all.

Since last night, my Windows XP Machine at home keeps comign up with this error message and switching itself off. Anyone have any idea why?

"This system is shutting down. Please save work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost.

This shutdown was initiated by NT authority\system

Windows must now restart because the remote procedure call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly."

Its a tad bit annoying.... can anyone help?

TIA. Tony.

Yeap - you've been hacked.

OK, go to http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/security/ESM/esmSU12/wxp-ix86/esmtpk.exe and choose "run this program from its current location". You may have to restart your computer when it has finished.

Then go to http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp scroll down and download the relevant patch for your version of Windows. You should now have a functional computer again.

Also make sure you are up to date with anti-virus software and firewall software.

[ QUOTE ]

Is it the MSN Messenger thats causing the problem?

[/ QUOTE ] Noooo right basically i think that the hackers can only hack into the machine which have ports open for messenger service or the remote help feature of windows xp.

The messenger service is under control panel - Admin tools - services

Here is picture of the info.

I think Ari has been hacked too..... frown.gif

post-182-13791424945_thumb.jpg

I got this reply from my PC Support people:

"From what you are saying is happening to your machine, I have the unfortunate reasonability to tell you that you have a virus. Last night, a rather nasty one called W32.Blaster.Worm was released into the Internet, and anyone who hasn’t got a Firewall running, was a target. A command is sent to your system via an unused Port and by taking advantage of a flaw in Windows2000/XP, downloads the virus to your machine. No virus program could have prevented this, and the rate that it has expanded didn’t give Norton much time to develop a fix.

The only way around this, is to drop the machine into us, and get us to remove it for you. There will be a £20 charge. Also, you will need to buy a firewall program so this doesn’t happen again, but that is optional"

Colin get this fix slapped on your pc or laptop

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823980

This is caused by a recent RPC exploit that microsoft has actually owned up to.. This problem can be solved by a quick patch and reboot.. THIS EXPLOIT AFFECTS ALL MICROSOFT OPERATING SYSTEMS THAT CAME OUT AFTER WINDOWS ME. (and windows 2000, even tho it came out prior to ME) so.. that includes, some versions of NT, win2K, winXP home and pro and gold and 2003..