mazda rx-8

lanceuppercut

[ QUOTE ]

Very good Wopps. Actually, the Mazda dealer network is pretty damn good - along with most of the other Japs they put Audi, Mercedes and alot of others to shame in all the customer satisfaction surveys.

As for the ****el engine, I'm not a fan but it is light and compact for the power it produces - something very useful in a sports car. Just a shame about the torque and fuel consumption. As pointed out above, I think this generation of the engine has solved alot of the reliability/wear issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it would seem we have been getting it serviced at the wrong place. You really have to throw alot of weight around to get anything done. However the fact they were at full capacity the whole time was obviously a sign these cars go wrong often! So really im not convinced. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Actually it would probably be slightly longer if it had a conventional engine not to mention heavier and have a poorer weight distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heavier - Sure. Longer I very much doubt. Then you open the bonnet its like looking at a peanut glued to the bottom of a bin. There is alot more room in their. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Whats the point to it? Its slow, eats more fuel than my CSL, makes a puney noise, falls apart inside, has one of the worst dealer networks (2 weeks to re-spray a door!!) and is a bit dull to drive. I agree that it looks good, but it would have looked even better with a proper engine!

[/ QUOTE ]

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

As an owner of almost three years now, I'll be the first to admit that it's not been without problems (the well publicised flooding issue is now fixed though). However, I'm now the proud owner of a fantastic car that's just as composed going shopping, blasting round the Nordschleife, lapping Knockhill or cruising the autobahn at 150 MPH.

Engine noise is a matter of taste, but I still find the rotary howl far more exciting (and unusual) than an over stressed turbo four of any flavour, or the sound of a self-consciously gruff-grr-look-at-my-chest-hair-I'm-really-heterosexual-no-really-V6

So what if you get slightly better MPG in your CSL? The £35k difference in the asking price buys a lot of unleaded, and I can't help but think that you're missing the point of either car if you're using this as the basis for comparison.

Mazda are to be commended for putting on the market a car with a somewhat experimental engine, yet backing it to the hilt. In so doing they've put a quick, striking, unique and yet practical car within the reach of a great many people, and I love it.

It's not for everyone, but that's OK - "everyone" can always go out and buy some grey jumped-up germanic repmobile. wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Well I can see their are some happy owners, and I don't want to start a fight. Just thought I should take the opportunity to say how thoroughly disappointed I was with this car. We wouldn't want another individual like me reading this thread making them think this car was for them. I think its in their interest that I put my point across. Just like it would be in 'their' interest for you to slag the CSL off (if you could find anything bad to say about it! wink.gif)

Jokes aside. My brother may have a lemon of a car and a lychee pip of a dealer, but he still loves it (even if he does have an odd cry every now and again). My problem is that being the family car nut, I have to deal with all the family cars. To say I have been disappointed with the Mazda is a slight understatement.

But again. Im glad you guys like it 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just like it would be in 'their' interest for you to slag the CSL off (if you could find anything bad to say about it! wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

So calling it a jumped-up germanic repmobile wasn't enough then? I've more where that came from.....

Seriously though, you've as much right to express your opinion as I do, and it's all meant in good humor. The RX-8 does polarise opinions, and like I said there were teething problems.

I can't quite remember what the exact original question in this thread was, but for a decent (albeit biased) opinion, the forums at rx8ownersclub.co.uk are good, and punches aren't pulled when things do feck up with car or dealer.

So, umm, peace and all that. smlove2.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I saw a blue and silver one on the M1 last night.

Done up Dodge Viper stylée with blue stripes.

Actually looked quite acceptable!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I could see that looking quite nice actually.

BTW, I have just ordered a couple of weeks ago a SuperSprint exhaust system for my brother for xmas. I receive it Feb so will be sure to post a review and pics for all those interested. 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I saw a blue and silver one on the M1 last night.

Done up Dodge Viper stylée with blue stripes.

Actually looked quite acceptable!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I could see that looking quite nice actually.

BTW, I have just ordered a couple of weeks ago a SuperSprint exhaust system for my brother for xmas. I receive it Feb so will be sure to post a review and pics for all those interested. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

bloody hell your good to your brother aint you???

whats wrong with buying him a new jumper and a cd???

as i have said before here, the rx was and is a great motor, i just missd that little bit of torque, and the dealer was the best i have ever used, and the car never missed a beat, or flooded in the time i had it, my one grumble for today about it though, the front seats were cr@p.. 169144-ok.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen and heard the pipes! There is more of a sound improvement on the RX8 than there is on the CSL, it sounds like a slow revving race car! It pops and farts on the way back down too. The pipes are big but well finished. The protrude way out the back of the car but look fab IMO. what an improvement. Cant believe how good a rotary engine can finally sound! grin.gif