3.0 cabrio torque steer

Ari

One thing I notice with this 3.0 cabrio I'm using at the mo, on full throttle (wayhay!) on an uneven road surface there seems to be a lot of torque steer, you really have to hang on to it sometimes!

Are all the 3.0 litre's like this, or is it because of the optional 18 inch alloys?

Makes a good case for a quattro version, but I wonder how much the extra drag/weight will affect the performance and already pretty dire economy?

Having lots of fun with it though!! ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Are all the 3.0 litre's like this, or is it because of the optional 18 inch alloys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, Its the optionally installed mad b*****d driver! ECLIPSe.gif

Sounds like you are having fun!

[ QUOTE ]

Makes a good case for a quattro version, but I wonder how much the extra drag/weight will affect the performance and already pretty dire economy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would always go quattro. One of my deciding factors in going for the Avant rather than a Passat Wagon was that VW only do the quattro on the top (thirsty and expensive) model. I really didnt like the passat styling to be honest, but the brain kept saying that it was much better value.

I would go for a Quattro 1.8 over a Front Wheel Drive 3.0 any day, and twice on sundays. Quattro holds the road like nobody's business!

ECLIPSe.gif

Ari,

Torque steer is thrown in for free on the 3.0. It is ridiculous to have to watch the traction control system struggle to control this when leaving any junction at moderate speed in the dry, never mind the wet. The last car I can remember being this bad was the Saab 9000 Turbo when it was 1st launched. My dad bought one and you really had to hang onto the steering wheel in that car and pray when pulling out from junctions or carrying out an overtaking manoeuvre! Torque steer is another big minus point in my book against front wheel drive.

Have you noticed any difference in the weight in the nose between the 1.8 and 3.0? That big engine is just dying to drag you into the undergrowth on fast bends as I suspect it's weight contributes substantially to the chronic understeer that afflicts this model.

Why is it none of the reviews have complained about torque steer, it always was the pet hate of the motoring press and the excuse they always peddle out about BMW's being the so called ultimate driving machines.

On the contrary, the press have generally praised the driving ability of the Cab's and for the whole of the Top Gear fraternity to choose the Cab as thier favourite soft top is a pretty good achievement.

I don't know what validity there is in comparing the Saab turbo with the naturally aspirated Cab, it's delivery is entirely different. As I remember the old Saab was always prone to all or nothing delivery, huge torque steer and vaugue steering. It was entertaining in some ways but was terrifying as a passenger, several times I thought my time had come.

I wish we would concentrate on some of the many, many good things about this car, instead of seemingly wallowing in the minor problems and drawbacks. After all what is out there that offers better, the 3 series not so handsome rag top or the the dubiously overstyled (oh dear! what an interior and such an ugly behind) CLK. I don't think so!

Like Ari, I forgive the minor points, in order to really enjoy this beautiful piece of design. (although I have been fortunate not to suffer any problems to date)

If you buy a Cab your not going to be charging about like a demented boy racer in a ''Big Bore Max it too the Max Saxo or Clio'' Flush.gif.

I agree when it comes to handling the Cab is not the absolute pinnacle but I have found it to be a good compromise between ride quality and general everyday driving ability.

I notice the 3.0 Sport is great on sweeping fast roads requiring hardly any downshifts to maintain rapid momentum and it has never threatened to send me off to confer with the sheep.

I have had my 3.0 Sport with 18'' RS Wheels since April and have not noticed the Traction Light blinking all the time, although it has on occasion in the wet on uneven, pot holed surfaces. Then again it should, shouldn't it.

I think Ari has some valid points about the overall feel of the 3.0 but I know i would choose this motor everytime for the smooth delivery and bags of useable torque. I may give the Multitronic a try but may be Audi will make available the DSG Box which I believe is soon to find it's way into the S4.

I would only change to an S4 Avant which I test drove yesterday for about an hour WOW!, WOW!, WOW!, and Verily WOW! Now this is a car for pointing at the most challenging of bends and decking the Noisy peddle all the time. OUCH! my licence...

That V8 YYYOOOWWWL that greets you and the change of exhaust note, it makes you want to keep your head out of the window.

FIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gifFIREdevil.gifsmlove2.gif

Incidentally, Thanx goes to Cardiff Audi for thier much improved service over the totally ignorant, arrogant approach from the previous and now thankfully sacked Hartwell Audi in Cardiff. The guys at Cardiff Audi all want to talk cars and are always pleased to see you, they have offered me the S4 Saloon Demonstrator for a weekend notworthy.gif Oh God why did it have to be in that silly purpley colour. It could be mine now!!

Gez. beerchug.gif

Each to their own. I have no arguement on the styling front - I wouldn't have bought the car otherwise - and agree it is easily the best looking car in its class. Forum users will know that I struggled with my conscience for a couple of months before deciding to sell my car as I loved it's looks but was less than inspired by it's handling.

I am only giving a valid report on my experience of MY car. The 3.0 IS prone to torque steer without much provocation and it DOES understeer a lot.

I for one do not think it is unreasonable to expect good handling from such an expensive car but it seems that Audi set up their cars to appeal to non-enthusiasts and dial in lots of understeer to discourage you from spirited driving. I was lulled into buying the car because of it's arresting looks. It seems that Audi think it necessary to fit a quattro system to allow more sporty handling but this merely adds unecessary extra weight IMHO. Before you have a fit I am not trying to dampen your enthusiasm for your car or anyone elses for that matter but am merely reporting on my experience of the car. Viffer posted some similar thoughts in another thread after selling his car. I made a mistake but that does not mean the cab is a bad car. It just isn't the car for me or fellow enthusiastic drivers. My previous X5 3.0i would leave the cab for dead on a twisting A road and that is a little embarassing considering the relative size and weight of each car. I think that helps justify the tag "the ultimate driving machine".

You are very fortunate not to have experienced any faults with your car and long may this continue. If you do start to suffer though you will maybe appreciate the concerns that others have regarding the apparent lack of development work done in certain areas. I suffered a tonneau cover that didn't want to close, a groaning steering rack and the maddening faulty alarm issues to name but three problems.

As you have referred to magazine articles you must accept that Audi's rarely score highly in terms of handling enjoyment. Top Gear even went as far as to say that the cab is good for cruising but not for performance. MOst other magazine reviews adopt a similar stance.

Oh and the comparison to the Saab is quite justified. 16 years separate the engineering advancements made since the Saab was launched and I would have thought that torque steer should have been consigned to the bin long before now with the development of modern traction control. I cannot understand how a heavy car like the 3.0 sport struggles for grip when pulling out of a T junction on a modest incline. The sensation of feeling the nose of the car skip across the road sideways at very low speed is not condusive to having great faith in it's handling capabilities.

Enjoy your car by all means but don't criticise others who don't share your view of it. After all aren't forums meant to encourage an exchange of views?

[ QUOTE ]

Ari,

Have you noticed any difference in the weight in the nose between the 1.8 and 3.0? That big engine is just dying to drag you into the undergrowth on fast bends as I suspect it's weight contributes substantially to the chronic understeer that afflicts this model.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, this 3.0 handles way better than my 1.8T!

However.... my 1.8T is non sport and the 3.0 is sport plus 18 inch wheels with correspondingly low profile tyres. This seems to make a big difference when pushing it as mine gets all reluctant and wallowy whereas this one doesn't.

I'd agree that the cabrio is no drivers tool like a Z4 3.0 or a Boxster, but then they've got no back seats, a necessity for me.

As four seater cabrio's go, I think this is as good as it gets. I'm sure a BMW 330i cab and of course an M3 will out point it, but they're a dated car in comparison with a roof that looks like it's off a pram.

For me there is no finer 4 seater cabrio, particularly at the money mine was (£26K), but I can quite understand your preference for the Z4, if I could afford a second four seater car as well I'd probably go the same way.

All cars are a compromise, especially when it's your only car and you're constrained by a budget. For me the A4 1.8T cabrio is the very best four seater convertible on the market for mid £25K. If I had £35K I'd almost certainly have a 3,0 sport A4 Cabrio, but I'd need to try a BMW 330i first...

Hi Ragdude.

Sorry if you feel it was directed criticsm, I did not mean it to come across in that way.

I respect yours and other points of view but I don't think the car is as flawed in the handling stakes.

One of the reviews of the Cab indicated that it drives extremely well if not quite a match ultimately for the BMW's handling. It did best the BMW in areas such as design, fit and finish, body stiffness and looks. Not a bad trade off. If we were discussing pure Sports Cars I would concede your point but wthin it's design brief as an open top cruiser it does in my view drive quite well.

Cheers.

Gez..

Hi Ari.

I think you have hit it on the nose there. Do you think the 225 bhp TT engine would work well in the Cab, perhaps mated to the DSG Box. Lighter Engine than the 3.0. perhaps that would be a trade off for the all wheel drive being an option.

Cheers.

Gez.......

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Ari.

I think you have hit it on the nose there. Do you think the 225 bhp TT engine would work well in the Cab, perhaps mated to the DSG Box. Lighter Engine than the 3.0. perhaps that would be a trade off for the all wheel drive being an option.

Cheers.

Gez.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Gez, its a good idea, but I'm guessing it'd cost as much as the 3.0, and although it would make sense from the performance point of view I think that it wouldn't suit the charactor of the car as well as the big snarly powerful V6 3.0.

I think that if someone were sufficiently worried about the lighter weight of the 225hp TT engine and the traction/handling advantages of the quattro drivetrain, then maybe the TT would be a better car for them.

I like the 3.0 in the cabrio, it suits the car, and I'm guessing the quattro drivetrain would weigh less than an adult, and the performance doesn't seem to change by any noticable degree with a passenger so....

Only other question would be how much the extra drag of the quattro would affect the car. Giving it full throttle to the red line out of a roundabout and down a dual carriageway through the gears today, and having now got used to the performance, I have to say it feels quick enough, but only just. Wouldn't want any less acceleration from it.

Oh dear, I'm not going to be satisfied with my 1.8T when it comes back now am I...??? confused.gif

Ari.

Yeah, I guess the big ole 3.0 does have that unmistakable 'burble' and 'snarl' and it's power delivery seems a nice match for the Cab.

May be those clever people at Audi can squeeze a few more horses out of the Creamy V6 perhaps say 235 even 240 without losing it's character. It would be great mated to the Quattro.

Incidentally, I seem to remember hearing that there will be a chip for the 3.0 not a big jump in BHP but looking for better response to throttle, even better torque curve etc.

When do you have Claudia back, soon I hope. You must be missing her.

I thought that after spending a few hours with that seductive and at the same time mind altering S4, I would feel a little deflated when I returned home in the Cab.

I am glad to say I didn't. I appreciated the differences but it did not spoil my enjoyment of my own Car, it just reinforced it. Point being when you are reunited with Claudia, I suspect it will be just like old times smlove2.gif and hey! the weather is still set fair so look forward to it.

All the best.

Gez....

When I test drove the 3.0 multitronic from Poole Audi I can honestly say that I did not notice much difference in performance from the 2.4 I ended up with.

Whether that is down to the auto gearbox or what, I couldn't tell you. The 3.0 is the biggest engine I've ever driven, so I was somewhat disappointed in it's delivery. I guess I was expecting some sort of monster.

The only engine that really exceeded expectations was the 2.5Tdi, boy could that thing go!

To add to the 'problems' story that is raging at the mo, my 2.4 cab is going like a dream. The only annoyance is the squeaky windows, but I plan to sort that at the weekend.

I'll just give another shout to Martin's Audi in Basingstoke while I'm posting. I bought my cab from them and I'm about an hour away from them, but am seriously considering continuing to use them over Poole Audi - Poole are just so up themselves!!

I'll post later on with a story from my boss . ...

Nice to hear something positive (or indeed ANYTHING) about the 2.5 TDI beerchug.gif

I sometimes feel a bit miffed that it never even enters the equation when people compare engines - it's a modern V6 turbodiesel which Autocar, for one, consider to be the pick of the Cab range and just as refined as a petrol V6; but to hear the dismissive 'ugh, a diesel' noises that some people make (or the way they just ignore it altogether as out of the question), you'd think it was some smoky monstrosity ripped out of a scrapped Routemaster bus. confused.gif

Anyway, it is by far the best performer and I've never considered my car to be at all slow. Obviously if (having at least recognised this) the decision people make is to stick with petrol through personal preference, then fine; but it is irritating to have it totally ignored smashfreakB.gif. So cheers, TonyB cool.gif

Hear Hear, GanS.

Have a 1.8T, but test drove the V6TDI & was most impressed. V6 & loads of grunt, with good economy, too. It was a close call.

Only reason I opted for the petrol was the cash saving, and the fact that my wife's (and my rainy muddy roads) motor is an A4 TDI130 (which is absolutely fab), so fancied a petrol to complement...

Worried tho' - Last time my wife & i had a petrol/diesel combo was 4 years ago...and yup, I managed to stick petrol into the diesel motor one bleary-eyed morning...still paranoid I'll have a repeat performance, or worse, VICE VERSA & knacker my Cab's cat/fuel pump et al!!! iamwithstupid.gif

ps. I'd expect residuals to be slightly with the TDI Cab, so you'll probably gain a bit back over the years.

Thing is, I'm sure the diesels wonderful but the V6 has such a sporty charactor in the way it spins up more and more power with a wicked snarl as you home in on the red line.

I'm sure the Tdi is a very good drive, and given the mid range torque probably better in many circumstances, but you aren't going to enjoy caning it like you can a 3.0, it's going to be more like my 1.8T where you surf the mid range and change up at 4,000rpm.

Not knocking the diesel, but if you like the sportiness of a 3.0 petrol then a Tdi however good isn't going to give you that buzz.

Horses for courses I'd say, depends what you want out of the car. I could make a good argument for all of the different options, I don't think any is the choice, hence the reason they do it with different engines I guess.

Yep, I agree.

My choice was the 3.0 Sport but I know the 2.5Tdi is a corking engine, I drove the A4 Quattro 180 version of the engine a while ago when looking for a new car.

It was superb and if I had decided on the A4 Saloon/Avant it would for sure have been my choice.

I would say it depends very much on your driving style and what you personally want from the Cab.

When I first heard of the TDI, I had serious mis givings but this was based partly on my expectations about the pose value when cruising the local Cardiff Bay Cafe Quarter but now I simply couldn't care less what people think because I realise it's about personal enjoyment and choice.

It just occurred to me that I have a Golf GTI 150 TDI which I looked at in an entirely different way. Everybody knows it's a very fast car and seems to thrive on it's TDI Status, strange really.

I love the car it's a riot, raw and unrefined on occasion but when yesterday I blew away my mates 323i BMW, with 300lbs/ft of searing mid range punch it brought a huge smile to my chops, and made me realise why I bought it and why you enjoy your TDI so much.

I haven't yet debriefed with my mate, I thought I'd give him time to reflect....

Enjoy your Cab Tdi in the knowledge that it's credibility is growing everyday.

All the best.

Gez.....