[Audi A3/S3] Who needs Hybrids when you've a Diesel A3?!

Vic

140,000 miles on the original brake pads?  :roflmao:

Please don't ever drive behind me.:roflmao:

I've done 18,500 miles on a single tank of fuel too.  It's about as likely.

140k miles does seem unlikely. But my old A4 convertible was still on its original pads and discs when we sold it after 60k miles without any sign of needing replacements, and while it was driven sympathetically (by me at least...) it was also driven briskly. Almost all of our mileage was A/B roads not motorway, so it's not inconceivable that a car covering 140k motorway miles could be on the originals pads and disks. Unlikely, but not impossible I reckon +++

Oh, and MB have just done 1,200 from Africa to Goodwood miles on tank of diesel in an E300 CDI hybrid , with an indicated range remaining of >100 miles when they got there!! Somewhat short of 18.5k though I'll admit ;-)

I had a good nose at some public electric charging points yesterday.

The Metro Centre has 3 - 1 fancy 30min rapid charger that was £5 for non-members and free for members. 2 normal 3-4 hour chargers that were £3.50 for non-members and free for members.

The park and ride near me has 3 3-4 hour chargers at £3.50 for non-members and free for members.

If you work on 100 miles that's between 3.5ppm and 5ppm if you have to pay, my diesel estate is currently 15.6ppm.

And if you want to become a member of the NorthEast network? £20pa and you get an app telling you where all the charge points are and whether they're occupied or not.

Don't forget to add in your battery rental charge to Nissan, I think we pay something in the region of £70 per car.

Personally I don't believe electric is the future for cars, Hydrogen seems much more likely, but we most certainly wont all be driving EV's in 15 years, the country couldn't afford the loss in tax revenue from petrol and diesel.

Don't forget to add in your battery rental charge to Nissan, I think we pay something in the region of £70 per car.

Personally I don't believe electric is the future for cars, Hydrogen seems much more likely, but we most certainly wont all be driving EV's in 15 years, the country couldn't afford the loss in tax revenue from petrol and diesel.

You can buy outright or buy cheaper and rent the batteries. We're looking at a lease on the overall cost.

Anyone would be insane to buy the batteries, the replacement cost rules out any sensible person taking that risk on!

I can't see ours lasting much longer on the fleet to be honest, no one likes driving them, they aren't cheap to run when you look at the lifetime costs, charging points (around here) are few and far between, frequently inside a paid for car park which is another cost to bear in mind, and then half of them either don't work, or have been vandalised.

We are approximately 45 miles from Gatwick airport, and the real life range means we can't risk that journey as the car more than likely won't make it back.

The absolute minimum range that would render an EV a genuinely serious contender would be 200 miles, but the battery technology to get that range is currently prohibitively expensive, and I can't see it coming down any time soon.

The absolute minimum range that would render an EV a genuinely serious contender would be 200 miles

I'd agree with that +++

the battery technology to get that range is currently prohibitively expensive, and I can't see it coming down any time soon.

It will get there, but it won't be the battery technology that will do it  :cool:

It won't stop the progression to electric though.  15 years from now I think almost everyone will be driving one.

Only when the range on a single charge is equivalent to the range on a tank of fuel, and the recharge time is similar to the time taken to fill the tank.

Unless and until that happens they won't meet the needs of people in rural areas (i.e. a significant proportion of the population) or those who have to travel long distances daily.

Personally I think hydrogen fuel is a better way to go than electric...

• 1 year later...

140,000 miles on the original brake pads?  :roflmao:

Please don't ever drive behind me. :roflmao:

I've done 18,500 miles on a single tank of fuel too.  It's about as likely.

Yup, absolutely genuine. If you drive economically you don't convert fuel into brake heat and wear. It's as simple as that.  

I did, in fact change the pads at 142,000. They still had plenty of material on them but the backplates were starting to corrode and displace the friction material.

Our family A3 TDi mile muncher only had rear discs and pads circa 90k because a rear caliper needed replacing due to a broken handbrake mech.  Discs and pads had meat left, but made sense to replace whilst the car was in bits.  They would have easily reached 100k!  Car regularly does Bedford to Southampton / Portsmouth 4am dawn raid / late evening.  If you go M27 M3 M25 M1 its 113 miles iirc without a roundabout.

10 years old in a few days time, 115k on the clock now, meaning we've owned it for 100k, does exactly what we bought it for

I have just replaced the front pads on my A8.

Bought it at 179K miles and I could see the pads and discs were brand new.  :grin:

Now, up at 256K miles, I replaced the front pads.  Lots of meat left on them, but I think the warning cable had broken as it was dangling. :rolleyes:

However, the pads on the rear seem much lower, so will need to replace them soon.  I might do that on Saturday if it FECKING remains dry!!!

I miust add, 90% of my driving is on the A1, and I rarely have to stand on the brakes.  (famous last words)

This is the north. The rain is hard as f*ck. It waits til you've put the washing out just out of spite.

To answer my own question, just under 30,000 (mainly motorway) miles for the rear tyres, just over 56,000 for the wiper blades. :uhoh:

You got 30,000 miles out a set of rear tyres?!  Wow