A3 TDi Info Please

Ninj

Hi guys

Also posted in A3 Forum so apols for duplication.

Looks like to be realistic with a wedding looming, I'll have to side line an S3 for a while

However, Im in a bit of a dilemma now; the list has expanded to:

A3 1.8T Sport

A3 1.8 T Quattro

A3 TDi

A3 TDi Quattro

Looking about 1999/2000 (appreciate the 130Bhp Diesel was 2001 onwards) era and Im just wanting the low down on the specs and anything from owners please.

Which of them have 6 speed boxes? Which have Climate? Was Cruise an option on all models?

Also, transmission wise, are the Quattro cars "proper" ie permanent 4WD or do they use the same Haldex system as the S3?

Overall, I suppose Im asking whether the diesel is a good alternative (not wanting to open a can of worms!!) and is a Quattro going to be that useful (although I do live in NE Scotland. Is the 180Bhp of the Quattro negated by it being 4wd? as I know its not a big job to get 180Bhp out of the non 4wd cars above.

Thanks for any advice/specs

Rgds

[ QUOTE ]

A3 1.8 T Quattro

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't bother with this one, had one a few years ago and it was a bit bland, better off spending the extra on an S3, which I did, or, for residual strength, go for the TDi Quattro. Hands down the best A3 behind the S3.

An A3 TDi Q will probably cost about the same as a similar aged S3 however.

Quattro is haldex on all models, seems to be a little more aggresively set up on the S3.

Go for the 130 Tdi Quattro, even unchipped the car is a cracker, silly mpg ie, 48mpg+ even driving 'hard'.

The 130 quattro has a sports suspension, about the same as the 1.8TQ, 6 speed as standard, climate as standard, but cruise is optional.

If you want performance and 'economy' get the 130PD.

The Quattro just rounds off an already great little package.

Chipped (as mine is) will see off a standard S3........... notworthy.gif

Hi FatCat - rather hoping you would drop by.

In what year was the 130 TDI Quattro released?

48MPG sounds fine to me wink.gif

Would you rate the TDI Quattro over a 1.8T Sport? (Im assuming so wink.gif )

What sort of money can I expect to pay for a TDI Q ?

Thanks again

Rgds

N

The 130PD Q was released in 2001,

If economy was a priority, then 130 is the one, if it aint then go for the S3, don't consider the 1.8Q.

Residuals are good for the 130PD, better than any other petrol A3/S3 at present.

Mine has a few extras, but for a 10k bog standard 130PD I reckon you are looking at some 16k-17k.

Good luck, and choose a good 'un.