RNS-E & TMC - Free DVD Upgrade

Latest update from one of the users on RS246.com

[ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Firstly allow me to apologise for the in-operative UK TMC system on your A4.

No A4 derivative vehicle built to date has TMC operating, however this option will be operational from week 48.

I am the main contact within Audi UK for all TMC enquires and I have been working with my Marketing and factory colleagues to produce a retro fit TMC option.

I am pleased to say that we have tested this option and it works.

We are now awaiting the necessary discs from the factory and our current expectation is January 2007.

I will add your details to an existing customer spreadsheet I have been compiling and I will be contacting your when the retro fit option is available.

NB. I am hopeful that we can offer this option FOC.

Regards

Tom Peterkin

Customer Services Operations Mgr.

Audi Aftersales & Service

Direct Line: 01908 601627

Fax: 01908 601281

E Mail: [email protected]

[/ QUOTE ]

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, I dropped and email to this guy who promptly emailed me back the following:

Hi Mark,

I am the main contact within Audi UK for all TMC enquires.

I cannot comment on why the centre informed you that TMC would be available early 2006, as to my knowledge little or no information has been

communicated to them.

However, the good news is that a retro fit option has been tested and we are

now awaiting delivery from the factory of the relevant disc updates.

We expect to have these available in early January 2007 and we will be

contacting customers at that moment in time.

So, fingers crossed -I'm still unsure if they are expecting us all to pay for this upgrade - any thoughts??

Mark

Here's the email I got from Tom Peterkin yesterday:

[ QUOTE ]

There will only be one disc for the RNS-E sat nav, providing 2007 mapping and TMC functionality. We have not been notified of the part number of the new disc.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the UK TMC will be included as part of the EU 2007 DVD due out this month in Germany, and January 2007 in the UK.

Hence why they want to charge us £100 for it - using the reason that we are getting new maps too.

I'll pay them the £100, but if when I compare the map details they are the same as the 2006_1 DVD that I'm currently using then someone's ears will get a bashing FIREdevil.gif

I got a second email today too:

There were a number of reasons why, however, I am delighted to inform you

that we have now developed a retro fit TMC option for A3 & A4 vehicles,

provided they have RNS-E Sat.Nav.

We are currently awaiting delivery of the relevant discs from the factory

and expect to be able to offer this to our customers in January 2007.

No mention of charging for it though...

[ QUOTE ]

If charge is going to be £100 then that would work in our favour if New Map Data is also package with upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as it really is new map data (Audi have already released one upgrade that had the same mapping as the previous version and was only a SW upgrade - they still charged full price to Joe Public).

I'll be noting the map version on my 2006_1 DVD, and if the 2007 DVD is the same mapping will be "bending" someone's ear!

What do you think Audi's reaction to people with RNS-E retro fits will be? After all, the email that has been mentioned does refer to a “retro fit TMC option for A3 & A4 vehicles, provided they have RNS-E Sat.Nav"

Well, I have a RNS-E, it was just fitted by CraigyB and not Audi! I know there are plenty of us out there and I can’t be the only one that will want this ‘upgrade’.

My boss just had his A6 done for free. It took some persuading and the treat of a call to Audi UK customer services (thanks for the advice Craig), but they did it in the end.

My feeling is that if the units come from the factory on new cars with this enabled, then it should be a free upgrade. Okay, if you get new maps then that's probably fair enough (although, again I don’t see why I should be forced to pay for new maps just to get this working). It's been working in some parts of Europe for years. Why should the UK be any different?

Or is it a case of A6 and A8 owners (while probably richer) are some how more important? No offence meant to owners of these cars, I just think it should be one rule for everyone. If it’s a free upgrade on some cars, it should be a free upgrade on all. Sort it out Audi.

Okay, rant over.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

What do you think Audi's reaction to people with RNS-E retro fits will be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have spoken to Mr Peterkin, and the engineer he asked to call me. They are both aware that my RNS-E is a retrofit and didn't seem to have any problems with this. However, I wouldn't expect any favours with regard to the cost of adding the UK TMC functionality.

[ QUOTE ]

It's been working in some parts of Europe for years. Why should the UK be any different?

[/ QUOTE ]

A significant difference is that many countries operate the TMC broadcasts as a free public service. In the UK, TMC is operated on a commercial basis (with two competing providers), and a licence fee is payable by the disc producers for the inclusion of the TMC tables.

From a post on www.navplus.us:

Europe 2007 RNS-E software is composed of two DVD:

DVD 1 : Dänemark, Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz, Andorra, Belgien, Frankreich, Griechenland ( Athen ), England, Irland, Italien, Lichtenstein, Luxemburg, Monaco, Niederlande, Portugal, San marino, Spanien, Vatikanstaat

DVD 2 : Dänemark, Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz, Finnland, Lichtenstein, Norwegen, Polen, Schweden, Slowakei ( Bratislava ), Slowenien ( Ljubljana ), Tschechische Republik, Ungarn

And TMC is active in the following state:

Belgien, Dänemark, Deutschland, Frankreich ( Mediamobile ), England ( RAC Trafficmaster ), Italien , Niederlande, Österreich, Schweden, Schweiz, Spanien !!!

• bison unpinned this topic