Buying a used 330CI that was imported from EU

the_little_fella

Been to a BMW main dealer and seen a 330CI Coupe that was originally imported from the EU.

Has anyone any experience of imported cars and is there anything I should look out for or know?

The car is an identical spec to UK registered cars, and apparently there are a lot of imports around?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers.

I had a TT that I imported. It was 100% UK spec. The only thing I lost was some of the 3 years warranty.

I saved about £4.5k and sold it for the price of a Audi UK sourced car.

I'd have no problem myself (assumming all normal checks etc prove ok).

I disagree with snail.

The ONLY difference between my car and a UK supplied one was that Audi UK didn't get a cut.

It never made any difference to the insurance and there's no reason why it should....assuming it's UK spec as you say.

i can tell you now that there is no issue with it.

the fact is that the EU cars only get 2 yrs warranty from BMW (in fact all cars do) and the 3rd year is a Dealer warranty.

The spec is the same and BWM'll confirm that with you.

It'd make a difference if the car was less than 2yrs old. If it's older than that then the warranty you'll get is the same as if you bought a UK car so the upshot is you save money.

The insurance shouldn't be an issue either but it depends on who you go with.

I suspect you may take a hit when you sell the car later on as people think the spec is different but the fact is it's exactly the same.

You should get a better deal on it than a UK car!

how do I know...?

I bought one

Before I came to my senses and bought an Audi I imported a Ford from France.

Had to pay vat once the car entered the UK, the vat certificate is supposed to be kept for a period of 6 years by the person who imported the car.

Friends also imported a car from France, they only problem they had was when they came to sell it the dealers tried to offer them less as it was "an import" even though the car was built to UK spec and came from the same factory as the ones you would buy from the dealer.

ncr666