Chris Bangle: The man who freshened up BMW

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

What a load of rubbish.

Every generation, the first car of a class will influence the following cars in the same class.

Its always been about influence, and all Bangle has done is show how not to design cars.

[/bangle hater]

[/ QUOTE ]

....Just your opinion. At least BMWs don't look bland like some car designs. I expect that BMW designs will evolve into something more to your taste in time.

Thing is though, they didn't look bland before, just very well judged, elegent stylish and sporty. Just what a BMW should be.

Now they still don't look bland, fair enough (apart from the back of the new 3 Series which looks like a Mitsibishi Charisma), but they no longer look any of the other things. crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Now they still don't look bland, fair enough (apart from the back of the new 3 Series which looks like a Mitsibishi Charisma)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say the back was the least bland bit. The side profile particularly is just... a car.

That said, the coupe isn't looking too bad.

Modern BMW styling has grown on me over the last couple of years.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I think the back of the 5-series is hideous. confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

913000-34.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

The M5 is ok, but it's the standard cars that look silly with that boot overhang. The grey doesn't look bad either, but the blue is shocking.

The only car that i like the look of is the Z4

I think Bangle has done really. Well. Flair'ed design is appearing in audis. Look at the TT and the spy pictures of the A5. They all have styling ideas that bangle created.

I'm not saying that they are all successful but on the who I think he has done a good job. It was only a few years ago that people were complaining of cars all looking the same, creating different designs is a good thing. Some people love his designs some don't but sales of BMWs certainly haven't been affected far from it they have gone up.

They must be really upset with him, NOT. suicide.gifUHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Thing is though, they didn't look bland before, just very well judged, elegent stylish and sporty. Just what a BMW should be.

Now they still don't look bland, fair enough (apart from the back of the new 3 Series which looks like a Mitsibishi Charisma), but they no longer look any of the other things. crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd disagree; fair enough the previous generation looked like very well resolved designs, but IMO they'd reached a bit of a dead-end. The 3,5 and 7 were all the same design in different sizes, and they all looked a bit 'staid'. In fact, until recently I'd never even considered buying a BMW - I didn't like the image, and thought the designs were dull blush.gif.

Now, the image hasn't changed, but I think the change of design direction is a good thing, and I like it 169144-ok.gif. It makes the old 3 and 5, and to a lesser extend the 7 look very dated. I agree with you on the back of the current 3, and think both it and the 5 look better as estates (though to be fair I'm not keen on the A4 saloon and think the Avant looks far nicer; same with the A6...)

Just my thoughts...

Peter

I love the new BMW designs, the only thing I don't like is the standard rear light cluster on the new 3 series, but the blackline lights get round that anyway.

I do prefer the tourings, but then I am really not a fan of the A4 in saloon form and only like the Avant.

One thing I will say is this, I have never had people come up to me and comment on any car I have owned before like they do with the 5 series touring, I had a couple of people comment on the A4 cab, but I have had so many people stop and say how much they like the Touring it is unreal, probably get one nice compliment each week, so people do like the look of them. To be honest I think that some of the so called 'car lovers' have a hard time with change, just look at how everyone on here slagged off the Audi single frame grille, now most have one!! smile.gif

bmw2.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Bland = Lacking strong features or characteristics and therefore uninteresting....

....So says the English dictionary. Irrespective of whether you like BMWs styling or not, they cannot justifiably be called 'bland'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure. Thats personally my objection. As many have said, BMW used to make fantastic looking cars (i should know, i drive a BMW), now they are just bland.

If you debadged the new 3 series, put Hyundai or Kia badges on it, i doubt you would get anywhere near as many sales.

The sporty Bangle'd BMWs look better, but even they dont look "good"

gIzzE's excellent pic above perfectly shows features (whether you like them or not!) which are strong and by definition - NOT BLAND.

Your first sentence, Snail, contradicts itself imo.

If you put different badges on any new model of car (so that the buying public were misinformed about the manufacturer), you would doubtless effect sales.

Badge = Brand = Reputation for product which ticks your boxes. Simple fact of commercial life.