Remapping 130 1.9 TDI Sport Passat

pascalbrown

Hello all! I'm sure this is a common question, and I've read all the other threads on this subject (believe me!) so I have done my research. However, I am still not nearly as clued up as the many people on this board so before I make any decisions I wanted to get some more advice.

I've got a 2001 Passat 130 Sport. I would like to get the engine remapped for obvious reasons. There are so many different companies to choose from I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. The ones I have seen so far include;

Star Performance (read good things on here, but a long way away!)

Upsolute (once again, read good things on here)

JabbaSport

Performance Torque

JBS

SportsTech

MRC

APS

Revo

AMD (heard not so great things)

The main thing I want is the ability to switch between the standard code and the performance code. I don't mind how this is done but it is important that I can do this. I am based in Southport at the moment but am very regularly over in Sheffield and down in Derby. I am willing to travel for the right service etc.

If anyone can (once again) pass on some information I would really appreciate it. Also, all these different companies offer different values for their remaps, ranging from 160bhp to 190bhp. Why is this?

And finally, a friend of mine seems to think my ECU might already be remapped, because when he had a drive he was shocked at the speed/acceleration. I don't know about this, but would like someone who can read the program that's on there and tell me exactly what currently exists. Perhaps I just have a torquey example, I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

You missed Oettinger off of your list (www.rsdcars-uk.co.uk) 169144-ok.gif

Some of the tuners offer conservative estimates - its not exact as similar engines can respond diferently. I'd expect for a remap (1st stage tune) to gain around 30bhp and 30 Lbft torque - I think to get the 130 to around 190 requires more work, inc exhaust, etc.

I think if you want a switchable system then that does also limit the number of suppliers.

With regards to Distance I believe Star will offer you a 'by post' services for certain products.

Hi There

As Shao Khan says, 190bhp cannot be acheived by a re-map alone. A standard re-map will give between 30bhp and 35bhp

If you wanted a harder map, then a 45bhp increase in possible. I would recommend a high flow filter with a harder map though, so that you can pull as much air in as possible in order to burn the fuel efficently.

As for being switchable, very few companies are offering this, and those who do still have a code on the Eprom inside your ECU, so it can still be read. Not sure what your reasons are for wanting it switchable, but it won't make the re-map invisible

Best Regards

Hi Will.

Thanks for the response. I know you've done a few maps yourself (from old threads I've read) so I appreciate the advice. The high flow filter sounds like a good idea as I would like to get up to 45bhp if possible. The reason I want it switchable is in case someone else wants to drive my car. It's not an absolute necessity but would be a distinct advantage. I'm not massively concerned about making the remap invisible as the car is not under any sort of warranty.

thanks, any more advice is most welcome!

I would recommend trying to get to something like a UKMK4s meet if you can and trying to get a ride in a coupl eof different mapped TDis - some of the maps are very agressive others are just a similar set of curves as you already have - with bigger numbers.

Fatcat had his A3 done - firstly APR then Oettinger and if I remember rightly he much prefered the Oettinger map as it was more linear and didnt make the clutch slip.

I'm 100% positive your car is remapped. it felt as fast if not faster than my 2.5 tdi quattro(180) that I picked up today and its faster than my lexus which you know. I also thought that you have got quite an aggresive map as well.

Getting the switch is gonna cost you a lot more ££££.

When I get mine done I will be going for a smooth curve remap as it will not strain the car as much and will be much nicer to drive.

Do you know what the red DI mean yet Pascal? is it the 150 ps version of the 1.9

Red DI can be 130 o 150, depending on engine code. Ie spoken to a few 'mappers' who generaly say the same thing about the 130pd engine - best diesel vw do (pre-Golf V platform 170) and it's not uncommon for a well run-in 130pd to be putting out more bhp then a 150! He showed me a rolling road resul from 2 mkiv golfs - one a pd130 showing 156bhp, the 150 showing 148bhp! Crazy!

ha ha. Maybe, it does pull suprisingly well. Well just have to have a 3rd gear 30-60 test Jim now you have your TDI. However, I've spoken to will, and he said if it's a non standard program he will know straight away and then I'll have the choice of what to do. Is it possible to know the bhp/Nm from looking in the ecu code?

And my engine does have 100k on it, so it is well bedded in and ready to rock.

• 1 year later...

Hello VAG People

Im new here, got some interesting bits of information on this site.

I have been doing some research myself and have spoken to many of the performance places and would like to share this with you all. if im to be honest I have spoken to :

1. Chip'N'spin (Chipped UK rep)

2. Chipped UK

3. REVO

4. Jabba sport etc

I have spoken to others but to be honest they are all doing the same thing. I have decided to stick with a reputable name as its not worth the sake of £180 saving and the chance of causing long term damage. let me give you a summary of the 4 above and my reasoning.

Mark is the rep who comes out with his van and takes a reading of your ECU and sends it to chipped UK who then semi customise it to your car, they send it to Mark and he tunes your car and does a road test. I have spoken to Mark several times and he is a top guy who looks to know his stuff.

2. Chipped UK

now they semi customise the car (not customise) this is because it is not rolling road tuned but it is an opinion of a professional tuner, and as you all know this can vary from person to person. however they are much cheaper than REVO (ABOUT 100 - 220 POUNDS LESS) if you wait till nov or dec 2008 they do a £250 tune and rolling road event which is no brainer really. talk to Mark about this 07756190026.

3. REVO

They are 2 miles away from where I live, they do a free tune 170bhp for you to test before you buy. it has a time life of 5 driving hours then your ECU is reset back to normal. this is good if you want to test it before you go with it. the cost to get it remapped is £399 + vat (Mark is cheaper)

4. Jabba sport

I’m my opinion I have left the best for last. I just spoke to this company today and they are in Peterborough and have been about for 10 years. you can have a full spec tune which is half a day but they first rolling road test your car to get some figures as no two cars are the same even if they are the same year, make, model etc. based on the test and diag results (all the others above also do a diag result test but not rolling road) they tune the ECU table part by part and then rolling road it to get a power graph based on this you have a true figure and true customised tune. now this costs £475 IN VAT which is still less than £399 + VAT but the main difference is Revo take 1-2 hours to do and Jabba take 4 -5 hours to get it perfect and rolling road it. I will get my car done there in 3 months time because I am happy to pay the extra as I am getting extra for my money from a company who has been about for 10 years. I spoke to them on the phone and he knows his stuff.

Ahh one other thing. Im no expert but I have done some research into it so from what I have gathered ....

the 1.9 TDI passat 130bhp is bullet proof, it can be doubled in power if the clutch, turbo and intercooler are up rated. there might be 1 or 2 other things that need up rating maybe the flywheel who know but from what Jabba have said they can on my car upp the bhp to 170 and give it 310 pounds of torque which is by far better than others, the best I got was for 280 or 300. the engine is so well built it will not be under heavy load but the turbo may be if you boot it every where. it can nock off %20 of the turbo is miss used. however jabba say they adjust the boost only a bit to and don’t just increase all the figures like some other places out there do. not sure of any but to be honest I don’t want to give a bad name to anyone its not fair. apparently the clutch on my car is pretty good as factory build and the intercooler is fine up to 180 bhp after that you can I think they said change the turbine to a hybrid etc etc but its not worth the money he said. just as a basic the remap and changing the filter to a panel filter will do. so if I have posted anything incorrectly please let me know

Hello VAG People

Im new here, got some interesting bits of information on this site.

I have been doing some research myself and have spoken to many of the performance places and would like to share this with you all. if im to be honest I have spoken to :

2. Chipped UK

3. REVO

4. Jabba sport etc

I have spoken to others but to be honest they are all doing the same thing. I have decided to stick with a reputable name as its not worth the sake of £180 saving and the chance of causing long term damage. let me give you a summary of the 4 above and my reasoning.

Mark is the rep who comes out with his van and takes a reading of your ECU and sends it to chipped UK who then semi customise it to your car, they send it to Mark and he tunes your car and does a road test. I have spoken to Mark several times and he is a top guy who looks to know his stuff.

2. Chipped UK

now they semi customise the car (not customise) this is because it is not rolling road tuned but it is an opinion of a professional tuner, and as you all know this can vary from person to person. however they are much cheaper than REVO (ABOUT 100 - 220 POUNDS LESS) if you wait till nov or dec 2008 they do a £250 tune and rolling road event which is no brainer really. talk to Mark about this 07756190026.

3. REVO

They are 2 miles away from where I live, they do a free tune 170bhp for you to test before you buy. it has a time life of 5 driving hours then your ECU is reset back to normal. this is good if you want to test it before you go with it. the cost to get it remapped is £399 + vat (Mark is cheaper)

4. Jabba sport

I’m my opinion I have left the best for last. I just spoke to this company today and they are in Peterborough and have been about for 10 years. you can have a full spec tune which is half a day but they first rolling road test your car to get some figures as no two cars are the same even if they are the same year, make, model etc. based on the test and diag results (all the others above also do a diag result test but not rolling road) they tune the ECU table part by part and then rolling road it to get a power graph based on this you have a true figure and true customised tune. now this costs £475 IN VAT which is still less than £399 + VAT but the main difference is Revo take 1-2 hours to do and Jabba take 4 -5 hours to get it perfect and rolling road it. I will get my car done there in 3 months time because I am happy to pay the extra as I am getting extra for my money from a company who has been about for 10 years. I spoke to them on the phone and he knows his stuff.

What model is this for?

Search our reviews on sites like SEATCupra.net - Your #1 source for SEAT information - Home and feel free to call if you want a chat

I have spoken to others but to be honest they are all doing the same thing. I have decided to stick with a reputable name as its not worth the sake of £180 saving and the chance of causing long term damage.

Welcome to TSN.

I am suprised that you have missed off what appears to be every German tuner from the list who might offer solutions?

Peterborough - Hmmmmmmmm some right dodgy geezers live round there.

Thank you all.

the car I have is a 55 place 1.9 TDI 130 bhp passat. I am going to get it tuned for free tomorrow by REVO sport.

I missed off a german tuner? which one is that and where are they based.

Jaba sport I think have been about for years 10 I was told one of the first to do this stuff so I am told. I questioned the guy and he knows his stuff, I think Revo have been about for 5 years. I just like the idea of rolling rode tune which takes 4 hours in total, it feels like i am gotting my moneys worth. lol

anyone know if it will void the warrentee. I was told VW wont find out.

thanks gents this is good to know,

so am i correct in saying if they look hard enough they will see it remapped but if they just look at the diag test then they cant see it (thats what REVO advised me) if i get a switch box I can switch it back to 130 bhp and they wont notice a performance difference right? so i may get away with it right?

am I also correct in saying that a tuner will warrentee his work? what kind of waranetee is that? I know that if the dealers for some reason overwrite the ecu with the new version of the mapping the tunners will put it back on for free.

my warrantee is due for renewall in 2 months im not sure if i should renew it and get it remapped. im a bit stuck on this. what would you advise? if i renew it and get it mapped then if they will find out %100 then it will be a waste of money. if they might not find out then fingers crossed. I live in MK and would get it serviced from WAYSIDE so no idea if they check there.

I just spoke to Jabba sport and they say it can be detected but they can put back the original file and set the counter back to zero so it can not be detected. once the work is done I can take it back to them to get the performance file but back on again for FREEEEE.

what do you think. should I extend the warrante.

Extending the warrenty is upto you I didnt extend my A2s because every fault I have had thus far has been excluded under warrenty terms so i'd have just ended up paying for a lot of diagnosis and the fault anyway. If you live in MK then I'd be using someone like IndeTech in Bletchley rather than Wayside, they are far cheaper and all ex- VAG techs so you get the same staff at a fraction of the cost.

I have never bothered with switchable dont see the point.

My last car was done by Superchips who are in Buckingham. There is also Richter in Bletchley who can offer a variety of solutions, these do a lot of work for main dealers including Wayside and Vindis groups.

Another option is APS in Brackley who are an excellent outfit, can offer off the shelf or custome remaps and have done some big upgrades to the TDi engines with 200bhp conversions and such like.

OK thank you for that loads of good tips. Was your audi older than 4 years when you took it in, I ask because I spoke to VW yesterday and they say because my car has done under 100k miles and is still under 3 years warantee I have the option for a full cover, electrics, parts, etc however if i renew for 3 years, once it ends it will only be covered for listed parts on next renewal. i was wondering if yours was listed parts.

I took her in yesterday and they will change the alternator pully, electric window switch and give me a car while its in repair. all this would have costed me £500 inc labour from wayside if i didnt have warantee.

it is due to expire in 2 months, I was thinking of 3 years extension which costs £800 alot but just this one small job would have costed £500 and when they charge £90 per hour man you wallet get think quick. dity rats.