New Avant - which diesel?

Bendz

Hi,

My dad needs some advice on which diesel engine to get in his new Quattro Avant sport, He has come from a T5 volvo and still wants something quickish, is it worth going for the 2.5 with 180 bhp for the extra pulling power? Also which is the more refined/quiet engine?

Thanks any advice will be appreciated smile.gif

Ben.

Before I waited and bought the Cab, I was in the Market for an X Type Jag 3.0 Sport or and A4 2.5 TDI Quattro 180 Sport Avant.

I drove the Jag first and then the Audi. I have to say that the performance of the A4 180 TDI was astonishing, it simply blew the Jag away and mated to the Quattro was very close to being perfect.

The sound under acceleration was fantastic, it simply flew effortlessly from low down in second gear and continued pulling in sixth way past licence good bye time (if caught).

Also the pick up in 4th, 5th and sixth was really impressive and would probably embarrass may an expensive Sports Saloon.

I would say that it fits the requirements you have suggested almost to the letter, I just could not fault the car.

I also drove a 1.9Tdi which was again impressive but after driving the V6 TDI it felt a little unrefined but not lacking grunt though. It is simply that they are in different leagues. If you are leaning towards the 1.9TDI don't drive the V6, you have been warned!

Be careful about spec' though. Items like Leather, Electric with Memory,Heated Sports seats, Reversing Sensors, Bose all good items to have. Also looks great in Darker colours with Beige or Annis leather.

Enjoy! and let us know what you and your dad thought.

Gez.....

Thanks for the advice everyone smile.gif,

Went to the dealers and ordered the 2.5 V6 after driving the 1.9. The 130 tdi was great and had plenty of midrange but didnt feel special/refined enough in a £25k+ car.

Spec is as follows:

2.5 tdi quattro 180ps

Mauritius Blue

Sport pack

Interior light pack

Storage pack

Electric folding door mirrors

Cool box

Aluminium finish

Front armrest

Load area pack

DIS

Black leather

Rear side airbags

Servotronic steering

Xenons

Symphony 6cd

Bose

It was a struggle but we managed to get nearly £3k off list after showing him some UK broker prices off the internet.

Will post some pics once he takes delivery in 8/10 weeks jump.gif

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice everyone smile.gif,

Went to the dealers and ordered the 2.5 V6 after driving the 1.9. The 130 tdi was great and had plenty of midrange but didnt feel special/refined enough in a £25k+ car.

Spec is as follows:

2.5 tdi quattro 180ps

Mauritius Blue

Sport pack

Interior light pack

Storage pack

Electric folding door mirrors

Cool box

Aluminium finish

Front armrest

Load area pack

DIS

Black leather

Rear side airbags

Servotronic steering

Xenons

Symphony 6cd

Bose

It was a struggle but we managed to get nearly £3k off list after showing him some UK broker prices off the internet.

Will post some pics once he takes delivery in 8/10 weeks jump.gif

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet choice mate.....hope you enjoy, and be sure to get the piccys up ASAP.

Your dad will enjoy those sweet 2.5 TDi engines, a great motorway chomper and fantastic pull, I would take one anyday......just don't forget to get it chipped!! FIREdevil.gif

On the Autobahn a couple of weeks ago a A4 2.5 Tdi came screming up behind us, so we let him past, and then pulled him back in again, and they certainly have some grunt.

If used S4 prices haven't come down by January, I'm going to order a 2.5Tdi Avant - fully loaded, and get it chipped too - despite what I've said in the past about not liking the clutch and lack of low-end torque in my current 2.5Tdi.

The thing is that once you've got the beast rolling it has a huge amount of grunt and will keep up with most things in the overtaking stakes until it reaches 4300 rpm smile.gif Only the S4 has the same appeal (well, RS4 too, but I'm worried about cost of maintenance - especially as I'd have to keep the car for 4+ years on top of the 2/3 it will already have on it).

[ QUOTE ]

If used S4 prices haven't come down by January, I'm going to order a 2.5Tdi Avant - fully loaded, and get it chipped too - despite what I've said in the past about not liking the clutch and lack of low-end torque in my current 2.5Tdi.

The thing is that once you've got the beast rolling it has a huge amount of grunt and will keep up with most things in the overtaking stakes until it reaches 4300 rpm smile.gif Only the S4 has the same appeal (well, RS4 too, but I'm worried about cost of maintenance - especially as I'd have to keep the car for 4+ years on top of the 2/3 it will already have on it).

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate, y bother gettin a new one? yours is not even run in yet....just chip it..and save yaself loads!