Advice wanted! Which Tires are best for S8?

Sven

Hi Everybody,

I just acquired an S8 ('01) grin.gif and have made the deal it will be delivered with 4 new tires, for which I have to pay half-price. The present tires are basically okay, but not great, therefore the dealer has made this deal. (Weird sentence...) crazy.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure which tires to choose. I have seen the new Vredestein Ultrac, they look cool, and tests seem to bee good too, but I have no experience with Vredestein and it is only shortly since they supply (upmarket) performance tyres. Price is okay as well. Treadwear is a question mark for me, since these tires are just new on the market.

Dunlop SP9000 has been recommended by the dealer, the tyres seem okay, good looking (not as good as the Ultrac though), and it has won some tests I think. Plus it has Y speed mark (300KM/H), while Ultrac has W (270KM/H). Treadwear is supposedly good.

Conti SportContact 2 is said to be very good, but also significantly more expensive. (and it looks a bit...ehh.. dull?) UHOH7.GIF

Who has experience with these tires on the S8 and can give me some good advice? (asap please, dealer is awaiting my call) wink.gif

Many thanks! cool.gif

Toyo T1-S is a handsome tyre! Also available in 245/45 18. What I don't understand is why the speedmark differs with size. The size I need is 'W' while 235 and 255 are 'Y'.

As long as the electronic limiter is active that's no problem, but I'm pondering on a Chiptuning. In that case the limiter will be deactivated as well. Then a 'Y' mark tyre may become relevant. (Thus far that means the SP9000 will have an advantage).

Blackcircle won't do for me I guess, since I'm on the continent. wink.gif

I will phone a local tyre dealer tomorrow anyway, so I'll ask about the Toyo as well.

Thanx 4 your reply! cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Shouldnt they be a z mark for a chipped S8????

[/ QUOTE ]

Mwah, I think 300KM/H will (have to) do for now... wink.gif Z mark is even harder to find (haven't seen them yet on the web), and therefore they probably come with a huge price tag... UHOH7.GIF

I guess I will go 4 the Dunlop SP9000 or maybe Michelin Pilot Sport (both 245/45 ZR18 96 Y TL). Strange enough the Toyo's are more expensive here.

Michelin and Dunlop come at +/- the same price, where the Dunlop wins in looks (imho) and Michelin comes recommended by two tyre centres, as it has supposedly better handling in wet conditions. Not entirely unimportant either...

Greetz! cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Ah sorry - there was me showing my ignorance - I thought the rating was the ZR bit ie 245x45 ZR 18 with the Z being the rating....... Oh well just ignore me.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Well, y'r not that ignorant, most people think that, and the manufacturers do make it rather complicated...

ZR is indeed the speedmark for high speed, but then there are the indications for different speeds above 240KMH / 149MPH. (Also, for example: 245/45 18 ZR V (240KMH), W (270KMH), or Y (300KMH)) See chart

Greetz! cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh and I hope we see some pictures inthe Gallery soon as I love the S8.

Instead of spending money on the tyres did you not fancy saving for the new S8 20" alloys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, that would probably lead to a divorce... grin.gif Since I already spent a bundle on the car.

My girl was perfectly happy with our Chevy Silverado, but since I was so kind at the time (rafwings.gif) to buy this Truck she picked instead of the gorgeaus Porsche 993 Carrera I picked, because she hated the "heavy" clutch (Women... smirk.gif), I had some leverage now to pursue the S8 with Tiptronic. (Just barely though... grin.gif )

(Nothing bad said about the loyal, strong, impressive, relaxed and luxurious Chevy, but after a while I get the need 4 speed again).

Must say though that the Tiptronic on the S8 is far superior to the 993's Tiptronic. I tried that at the time, in an attempt to find a solution to her objection to the 993 clutch, but was not impressed to say the least.

So, 20" maybe later, something for the wish list. Though I don't need the extra attention from the ever increasing amount of hoodlums pouring in the country. mad.gif Therefore I'm glad with my "Stealth" S8, without even the S8 badges. A shame in a way, but for my previous Porsche I had to buy about three badges a year, apart from the damage on the paintjob... rocketwhore.gif

I'll see about the pictures, if I can upload them somewhere. Anyway, it's a black pearl beauty, with grey leather/alcantara interior, full options, TV, Navi+, etc. cool.gif

I can hardly wait... smile.gif

Thanx Guys! notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

These are kickass wheels indeed! Better than the aftermarket wheels, but probably mucho € too.

([email protected]: Oh, dear angelwings.gif, check out these wheels... grin.gif .... smashfreakB.gif)

Yeah, just watched Ronin again for the occasion... grin.gif (thank u KLite+). Same colour and all as well. I just hope mine lasts a bit longer. grin.gif

But I'm dying to give this baby a thorough test-drive. A nice opportunity to do some sightseeing in Germany... cool.gif

Will make some pics soon, R U interested in some other cool S8 wallpapers & other pics? You may know them, but I found some good ones on the web.

I like your blue baby as well Hopsta, the new wheels look great!

Where are the pics of your pride and joy Shao? I see many great cars (I like the TT a lot!) but no pics of your special! I'm curious how this car looks with the all these modifications. smile.gif

Sven

[ QUOTE ]

Where are the pics of your pride and joy Shao? I see many great cars (I like the TT a lot!) but no pics of your special! I'm curious how this car looks with the all these modifications. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind, I saw it in the album (just not on your website). Looking cool! TTR yours too? cool.gif

BTW, I couldn't resist to ask for a quote on the 20"... grin.gif Let's wait and see... pengy.gif

even the new Toyota Yaris is built in France, though smashfreakB.gifdung.gifNONO3.GIF

I was one of the lucky ones that got one of the last real Jap models beerchug.gif

From experience, i've found that although the German build quality is not to the standards of the Japanese, it's much better than the French (Pug, shiteroen, etc) and the English (MGR, Trevor <sorry Bison!>)

Overall i think you still get decent build quality but i've come to question whether it's worth paying the premium for an Audi when you can pick up a Seat of equivalent spec and build quality for much, much less. I think VAG has made a bit of a mistake there. If the S3 goes, i'll probably be looking at either a Toyota Celica (cos i like the styling, not fussed about the performance) or a Seat Cupra R.

For me the Gerry's still make the best cars, if you want style, 'Sportlichkeit', class and an immaculate eye for detail. The British make some beautiful cars as well, I always liked the Jaguar, and had quite a few, but if you want to get your dealer REALLY good you have to buy a Jag... (Although the later models are supposedly much more reliable).

In fact I glanced at an XJR as well, but the S8 has - obviously - won on points. (Alum body, Quattro, more room, MUCH more options, Tiptronic, and... the German 'feel' in handling, finishing etc.) I just hope it will prove to be as reliable as it feels.

If you really want low maintenance, get a big V8 American car. They virtually never stop running.

A Jap is just not me, no offence, but I don't like 'em. Tried a few times to overcome my prejudice, but no luck. But they are reliable and technically sound. But - for me - that's all there is to it.

By the way, - after reading huge amounts of reviews -the winner is.... cool.gif

sp_sport_9000.gif (the tyre that is... grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

Which one is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunlop SP9000 ZR 245-45 R 18 96Y cool.gif

I read a formidable amount of reviews on both the SP9000 and the Michelin Pilot Sport, where Dunlop got the better reviews and has great wet weather performance, plus the better sidewall/wheel protection. So... SMOKE6.GIF

Thanks Blue! notworthy.gif

It's great to feel welcome! cool.gif I'd enjoy to come to one of the meets! I won't make it to this one though, since the delivery of my S8 is planned that day. ha.gif I'd have to get on a boat or by traintunnel to get there, so that'll be a stretch to make it in time... But maybe next time! cool.gif

BTW, regarding your sig, R you Belgian by any chance? That's a bit closer to where I'm at... wink.gif