E90 3 Series Coupe - Tiptronic or Manual?

Wallachie

My cousin is trying to finalise his spec for a new 335i M Sport Coupe, he's decided on the colour (Montego Blue with grey leather) and other odds and ends, but he can't decide whether to go for manual or tiptronic with paddles.

What do you guys think? Would having this in manual guise have a detrimental impact on resale value? confused.gif

I have just taken delivery of my E92 335D coupe which due to the truck like torque is only availble in auto transmission.

This is my first auto and it really suits the car /engine...I have always said I won't have an auto but I now have eat my words. It much smoother than the two DSG diesels I tried, plu sit sgets around the typical DSG issue of being in teh wrong gear at traffic island when you have not come to a full stop. Not my view but the response I got from both owners...and a mate with a TT 3.2 DSG

The steering wheel mounted shift buttons work really well. Enabling you to hold a gear when slowing down approuching a traffic island. The box switches back to full auto mode after a ten seconds or so of no paddle activity

paddle_button.jpg

front2.jpg

Sat in a tip yesterday - can you push the paddle from above as well as pull it from behind.

I saw one car with black inserts which looked very poorly finished and one with the metal finish which looked far better. Also I didn't like the look of the car in bright silver but the black looked outstanding.

Finally, I couldn't believe the lack of profile on the tyres - the rears on 19" were only a 30. I guess the ride must be hard?

[ QUOTE ]

Sat in a tip yesterday - can you push the paddle from above as well as pull it from behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

You push with your thumb on either button to change down or pull back with your finger tips to change up.

[ QUOTE ]

Finally, I couldn't believe the lack of profile on the tyres - the rears on 19" were only a 30. I guess the ride must be hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was concerned about having a hard ride on the ruinflats (sic) so I went for STD 188 17"s...i think i could have just gotton away with the 19"s. but they would be so expensive to replace...can't imagine many tyre shops having a set 225/35YR19 + 255/30YR19 hanging about.

Th elcoal dealer had some 20" with 285/25s

Hardly any difference between them and an 18 or a 19" really.

The side wall on a 225/35/19 is 3.1", on the 285/25/20 you are only dropping to 2.9", even a 225/40/18 is only giving .2" more sidewall.

You have to remember that the profile ie. 25. 35, 40, 45 etc. is a percentage of the width, so as you go up to 285mm wide you only need a smaller percentage to keep the same amount of sidwall.

[ QUOTE ]

The side wall on a 225/35/19 is 3.1", on the 285/25/20 you are only dropping to 2.9", even a 225/40/18 is only giving .2" more sidewall.

You have to remember that the profile ie. 25. 35, 40, 45 etc. is a percentage of the width, so as you go up to 285mm wide you only need a smaller percentage to keep the same amount of sidwall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can remember that the 20's are NOT runflats.

My wifes MINI Cooper S runs on either 17" 205/45 or in the summer some 215/35ZR18's on alpinas. The ride quaility on the 18's is really very good.

215-35zr18.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just got my 335d on 19 inch wheels and the ride is fine. Test drove a 330d tourer on standard wheels and it didn't seem any better. There was certainly more tyre noise but I think that as down to the tourer body. Finally it came with this diamond bright stuff......what the hell is it? It came with a whole lot of stuff in a bag.