FAN FURY!

jb0503

Hi there.

I have a '99 Passat Estate which has a problem with the fan system that is used to clear the windscreen.

The Climate Control unit on the dash works ok - the display is on and when I change the temperature, the environment inside the car does increase or decrease in temperature as expected. However, none of the vents seem to emit any more than the faintest of draughts regardless of whether the fan setting is on 1 or 6 bars. This is particularly infuriating during wet weather when the windscreen mists up and has to be wiped every couple of minutes with a towel as happened to me on a recent trip.

I mentioned this problem when I last had a service at VW but I was advised that it could be attributable to any one of a number of problems and would cost a lot of time, effort and money to investigate. As a result, nothing was done about it.

During dry weather, the windscreen does not mist up but with the onset of winter, I feel I need to get this problem sorted.

Has anyone had similar experiences and if so, what have you had done to rectify the problem. Having VW take out the dash and then charge me through the nose for inspection is really something that I would like to avoid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

had same prob,just repaired fan motor,brushes had worn down,the brushes r not available from vw or anywhere else that i could find,managed to find some at work and made to size work perfect.just make sure that brushes u use r from a motor that runs continuous so compound will b similar and they wont where armature out!removing motor not too bad a job and it can b got at without removing air bag which was my biggest worry.just remove glove box about 7 screws,they r torx screws but got em with small screw driver.if u need to know more repost and will try to help

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look at it yet although following a rather misty driv yesterday, I am going to try and get it sorted asap. I will post to let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for all your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had the same problem on my Mondeo. That was down to the pollen filter - black instead of white! Dead easy to change on a Passat, unlike a Mondeo.

I noticed mine hasn't been changed in the three years I've had the car. Getting it serviced soon so I shall wait with baited breath to see if Leicester VW spot it or not. Otherwise, I shall do it myself.

They seem to last about 4 years before clogging up completely.

Good Luck! 169144-ok.gif

It must depend of mileage and driving conditions?

Mine had only been fitted less than 12 months, when it seemed my heating was crap. I initially thought the fan was the problem. Then i removed the filter and all was well.

Wasn't going to change the filter till the spring, looks like i better change it sooner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...