Passat 2.5 tdi power loss

iqbalg

Hi, A friend of mine has a 2001 (Y) Passat 2.5 tdi V6 with 57k on the clock and a full history. The car is losing power and will not do over 80 mph on the motorway. Also, when you rev the engine, it "coughs" as the revs are coming back down. So far, the MAF Sensor, Cat and one of the injectors has been changed costing him over a grand. Now he's being told its the turbo. He's had it in to a couple of local garages and VW - (VW were a waste of time). Anyone got any ideas?

Also, does anyone know when the Timing belt is supposed to be changed on these cars - the VW dealers are all giving a different story - some are saying 60K and some are saying 80k.

Thanks

I was always lead to believe about 70K for a new timing belt and as for the turbo im not too sure if that would stop it going over 80 but a carbon build up in the vnt actuator would give you little no turbo not experienced that but from what information i have read in the past.

Is it smokey or has it ever cut out or failed to start (turns over but wont spring into life)?.

The most likely cause of the problem is a sticking VNT in the turbo causing overboost protection from the ECU. If the car has had a very very easy life carbon and corrosion builds up in the turbine housing restricting the movement of the vane control ring, and when the ecu senses the overboost caused by this, goes into limp home mode. The way to tell is to try and move the actuator rod end towards the actuator cannister. It should feel stiff (spring resisted) but not siezed. (DO IT WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD!!)

Apart from that I have encountered blocked breather systems on the 2.5 tdi's, creating a lot of oil smoke as the oil is forced out of the turbo piston ring seals.

I work at turbo dynamics in christchurch so can help out if the turbo is in need of an overhaul, and also I put a deposit down on my very own 2.5 tdi passat today, so am keen to make some mates with advice and stories to tell!!

Keep us posted with how its going.