Track rod end change

gazthecab

Did the n/s today, very straight forward, less than 1 hour including getting tools out and putting them away.

Quoted prices for part:-

Dane V.W £20.39incl

C.E.S £12.53 INCL BUT NO STOCK

Quality Factor £13.95 + VAT

LVW Senar £30 + VAT shocked.gifshocked.gif

I double checked this last price thinking it was for a complete track rod not just the end, but no, that price is for a track rod end.

I eventually bought from the Quality Factor who knocked the VAT off so the price paid was £13.95.

I have been looking at my track rod ends!!

Did you need to get the alignment done afterwards? On mine one side seems slightly easy to move on the ball and makes a quiet "clunk" noise at the end of its movement. I cant feel any play in the joint.

Going to change both in Nov then get it into VW for the full alignment.

Sounds a nice easy job then.... any difficult bits?

[ QUOTE ]

I have been looking at my track rod ends!!

Did you need to get the alignment done afterwards? On mine one side seems slightly easy to move on the ball and makes a quiet "clunk" noise at the end of its movement. I cant feel any play in the joint.

Going to change both in Nov then get it into VW for the full alignment.

Sounds a nice easy job then.... any difficult bits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Advisable to get the tracking checked afterwards, thinking about changing the o/s now.......no tricky bits as long as nothing is seized, usual array of spanners are required plus a 10mm allen key is handy (fits in the top of the track rod end)

I changed the track rod end because I had a "groaning" noise from the n/s when on full/nearly full right lock at very low speeds (I read somewhere that track rod ends can do this), but the noise still remains, not all the time.......on right lock, and occasionally when reversing with left lock.....sounds a bit like something rubbing (dry joint), or something seizing up........will haVE Alook on Monday but am a little concerned it could be the rack, ideas welcome.