2003 525I memory seat problems

jam05

I bought a new 2003 525I in July of 2003. The memory seat does not work, never has, and I have not felt that I have received a straight answer from BMW.

Here is what happens. My wife takes the car on an errand. She uses her key and sets the seat to her position (position 2). When she gets back to the house, she parks it in our garage, unlocked.

Now, I take the car out. I go out to the car, set the seat to my position (position 1), and go to work. I get out of the car, lock it with my key. When I come back and push the button on the key to unlock the car, the seat goes to my wife's position!!

I have demonstrated the problem repeatedly to my dealer. The problem has nothing to do with using the wrong key, not setting up the memory seat correctly (they can't set it up so that it works right either), etc. They could not find the problem, but they replaced all of the components they could think of anyway. It did not work. Then, they told me that the problem is that we are not locking the car after EVERY use. They told me that the memory seat will not respond to the key properly unless this is done. I only got this answer after they were unable to come up with a better explanation.

I am not buying it. I have called BMW several times and have only been told that they are working on it (over a week now with no reply).

Am I missing something here? I cannot believe that this is normal. The seat does not work as advertised or as described in the owner's manual.

For now, I had the dealer set the car up so that the memory seat no longer responds to the key--the way it has worked so far is worse than nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Why doesn't your wife lock the car when she has used it - if that would solve the problem ??

While there may be something wrong with the memory, I think you have to be a bit pragmatic, otherwise you'll spend hours discussing things with your dealer, who may still not be able to help.

Surely it's not too much hassle for your wife to lock the car when she's used it ?

Sidicks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my 1999 528i, ever since I bought it 5 years ago. The dealer never gave me a good answer, and they did not fix it until my waranty expired. In my case, it does not even remember the steering wheel's column adjustments with either keys.

I would be insterested to see if any one else has the same problem!