Front end noise

gazthecab

PD 130 SE Estate 120k miles, Lower control arms changed beginning of the year, n/s track rod end changed 1 months ago, shocks and springs changed for Eibach about 2 months ago.

A few weeks ago I started getting a groaning noise from the n/s front when creeping forward on right lock , sounds a bit like a dry ball joint, except it increases and decreases with vehicle movement, it doesn't do it all the time but I have recently heard it when on left lock too.

Possibilities in my mind are:

Steering rack partially seizing.......doesn't explain the on/off noise with movement.

Wheel bearing......normally a worn bearing gives a rumbling noise

N/s C.V Joint.......normally a worn joint gives a knocking noise

Upper control arms.......can't feel any play there.

Just to throw a "joey" in here as well, for some time I have also had a dry rubber squelching noise from the base of the steering column

[ QUOTE ]

I have also had a dry rubber squelching noise from the base of the steering column

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to get this occasionally! I have a new full track rod arriving and hopefully fitted today. Once thats done i can see what other problems i have mad.gif

Gaz, maybe we should put both our cars together and blow the fecking things up?

[ QUOTE ]

Gaz, maybe we should put both our cars together and blow the fecking things up?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seriously considered the box of matches.

At the moment I am contemplating what to replace it with.....the list goes something like:-

VECTRA 1.9CDTI SRI

AVENSIS

PRIMERA

OCTAVIA

BMW 3/5 SERIES

But would they be any better........and THAT is the question. fekr.gif

IMO most cars are now built to get to 5 years and far apart! My 1995 Passat TDI seemed to be built like a tank and felt like it would last forever. I am still fairly happy with mine, heres a list of repairs that have been done to it....

Before i got it (upto 100k) it had a split turbo hose replaced and the mirror switch replaced.

Since i got it (from 100k to 201k)

Both headlights replaced, wiring seems to fail with the heat where it connects to the bulbs.

One CV Joint done

Both CV Boots done

Wiring to injectors replaced

full track rod replaced (today)

Both track rod ends changed (today one and in future the other)

Its free motoring now and owes me nothing, probably cost me £300 minimum a month if i replace it.

Just going to see how it goes for now.

Good luck with yours... 169144-ok.gif